Speculation: What if...OEL wants a change of scenery?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Its funny you mention that. I vaguely remember when Vermette was on the team, he had his second child and F40 wasn't too pleased with his play. I remember there being a poster on here who had stats to show that players tend to have a severe slump following the birth of a child.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There are so many posters on this board that are so set in their beliefs, that they **** all over other people's in a heartbeat, sometimes with seemingly no due diligence or acknowledgement for what the others are saying. Not just in the Coyotes section, but main board as well. It's as if many members can't develop opinions for themselves, so they cling on to other people's views and it's becoming super redundant and kind of pitiful to watch.

Finally for the first time, this place is kind of making me sick and I'm going to be taking a break from posting for a while. I'll check in from time to time after my wedding though. To all the competent, original thinkers, later ya'll!
I can't blame ya Rabbit, a few zealots and their groupies are ruining this board. Best part is the two warring factions are reading this right now and thinking it's the other factions fault. Mods I know your hands are mostly tied but man if you could do anything to bring these people down a notch or two that would be really really nice!

Anyway congrats and enjoy your wedding! I hope you come back soon, we simply can't afford to lose another poster that actually possess the ability to form a nuanced opinion.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Okay than let's say Goligoski. He's been crap for over a year.
I thought Goligoski actually finished pretty strong last year and I took a lot of hope from that going into this season. Unfortunately he's back to struggling again and is not playing anywhere near what I thought he would when they signed him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd rather keep OEL so that's good. Having said that, he needs to play a whole lot better and soon or a contract for him will be completely impossible to figure out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd rather keep OEL so that's good. Having said that, he needs to play a whole lot better and soon or a contract for him will be completely impossible to figure out.
Let's face it, apart from Keller, essentially the whole team has crapped the bed so far this year. OEL will play better as the entire time begins to play better. Hopefully sooner than later. I hate reading about draft choices in November.

Reactions: Jakey53

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Wonder if there could be something with Klefbom from the Oilers. He has 6 years at 4.17 with OEL having 2 seasons left.

Question is how much OEL would want on a new contract.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Hey guys.

I read on the main boards that OEL has been disappointing this year so far. So I was just wondering, how "bad" has he been? Is it just relatively bad (from what you're used to), or has he been bad by any standards?

Is this just something that's happened this year or does it date back longer?

rt

May 13, 2004
He was top 10 in Norris voting twice before he was 25. Our leading scorer two times. He had an astronomical trajectory. Last season he broke his hand early. His mom died of cancer back in Sweden mid season. He was playing for a coaching staff past their expiration date and an ownership group in turmoil.

Over the summer a new owner bought the team, everyone got fired and all of the veteran leaders were replaced. He hurt his leg in preseason and the team got off to the worst start of any team in more than ten years.

During last season and the start of this season, which were both incredibly difficult, he fell off of his normal elite level, franchise player pace of play. He played "only" like an average first pairing defenseman. He has struggled relative to his own previous performance and the expectations based on his previous play. He has not been worse than most first pairing defenders on terrible teams.

Having said that, there is reason for concern. He's carrying a lot of baggage collected by being with such a taxing franchise. He seems less engaged. The stakes here couldn't be lower and the entire franchise is a total mess. I have very strong concerns about his future as a Coyote. However, if he were to be traded I have very little doubt he would quickly pick up his play and become dominant once again. He didn't lose his ability. He may have lost his way.

I don't blame him. I don't respect him or his ability any less. I worry that being a Coyote is bad for him and he will struggle to regain form if he's stuck with this franchise. I do not believe his current level of play is representative of his capability. I worry it is dragging down his trade value. I have concerns about signing him. I'd rather see him traded sooner than later as a result.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
During last season and the start of this season, which were both incredibly difficult, he fell off of his normal elite level, franchise player pace of play. He played "only" like an average first pairing defenseman. He has struggled relative to his own previous performance and the expectations based on his previous play. He has not been worse than most first pairing defenders on terrible teams.

Eh...I think he was a fair bit worse than that especially before the last week or so.

Guy couldn't defend 1 on 1 for a solid month.

rt

May 13, 2004
Eh...I think he was a fair bit worse than that especially before the last week or so.

Guy couldn't defend 1 on 1 for a solid month.
I don't think he was. Remove the context of past performance and he's not much different than other top pairing guys like Yandle, Shattenkirk, Goligoski (before his own woes), Green (see Goligoski), etc.

Reactions: iSophagus

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Did I miss this bit of news? "Considerable talk..." From whom? Also didn't realize OEL was our captain.

There’s been considerable talk in the early going that new Coyotes’ head coach Rick Tocchet and his captain Ekman-Larsson haven’t exactly hit it off, although having to wait 21 games to get the team’s first regulation win might strain any coach-player relationship.

On Ekman-Larsson and the Maple Leafs - Article - TSN

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Did I miss this bit of news? "Considerable talk..." From whom? Also didn't realize OEL was our captain.

On Ekman-Larsson and the Maple Leafs - Article - TSN

Just harmless Leafs fluff from Bob. He even comes out and says:

The funny thing is, outside of some creative thinking by those who believe OEL to the Leafs makes a lot of common sense for both teams, there doesn’t appear, at this moment anyway, to be any real basis in fact to it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
With the Draisaitl vs Nurse story out of Edmonton how would you feel about an OEL for Draisaitl trade?

rt

May 13, 2004
With the Draisaitl vs Nurse story out of Edmonton how would you feel about an OEL for Draisaitl trade?
I've attempted to find this on the main board, the Oilers sub-forum, and Google. Nada. What are you referencing?

As for trading OEL for Draisaitl? My first impulse is yes, absolutely. Then I start to wonder, how much time has he spent centering his own line 5v5 and PP vs playing on a line that McDavid is centering 5v5 and PP? If the answer is that he's been driving his own line primarily, then I'd trade OEL for him. If the answer is that he and McDavid are in on something like 70% of each other's offensive production, and are very much tied to one another, I'd hesitate.

EDIT:

Quick glance at stats and it looks like Draisaitl is 2nd in FOs in EDM and McDavid is 4th. They're splitting FO duty on the same line at EV (by the looks of it) based on this:

11/21 - 1g 1a - No McDavid
11/14 - 0g 2a - 1a on McDavid G (EV)
11/09 - 1g 0a - McDavid A on Draisaitl G (EV)
11/07 - 1g 1a - One 1 on McDavid G (EV)
11/03 - 1g 0a - McDavid A on Draisail G (EV)
11/01 - 1g 0a - McDavid A on Draisail G (EV)

Small sample-size but it looks like Drai and McD are playing together at EV and are in on each other's offense largely. So the question quickly becomes, "Who is Leon Draisaitl without Connor McDavid?" He's got an enormous contract if he's a guy who truly doesn't have an answer to that question.

I don't really know. Just a cursory glance on my part.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I've attempted to find this on the main board, the Oilers sub-forum, and Google. Nada. What are you referencing?

As for trading OEL for Draisaitl? My first impulse is yes, absolutely. Then I start to wonder, how much time has he spent centering his own line 5v5 and PP vs playing on a line that McDavid is centering 5v5 and PP? If the answer is that he's been driving his own line primarily, then I'd trade OEL for him. If the answer is that he and McDavid are in on something like 70% of each other's offensive production, and are very much tied to one another, I'd hesitate.
Draisaitl concussion was the result of a Nurse punch after Draisaitl picked up Nurse's girlfriend. And before someone comes back with the token "these rumors are normal and never true" I got this from an Oiler employee. So while I would never guarantee anything I didn't personally see I believe this smoke came from a fire.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well I wouldn't say the rumors are never true...

As for Draisatl, he is making $8,500,000 for the next 8+ seasons.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If he wants out and isn't going to re-sign, it'd be a no brained. But you'd definitely need a follow up move to secure NHL quality D.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Well I wouldn't say the rumors are never true...

As for Draisatl, he is making $8,500,000 for the next 8+ seasons.

That worries me about Drai. Especially with what is happening to the Oil this season. We probably will sign OEL for less.

After the last two games I'm on the keep OEL wagon. A piece like that will be too hard to replace.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad