Speculation: What if...OEL wants a change of scenery?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Drop the 2nd. Bozak isn't valued there. He's just a TDL flip for us and a spot warmer for Strome. Marner and Dermott is absolutley not an overpayment for OEL.
Bozak will get the Leafs a draft pick. He's a decent 2nd/3rd line center. I doubt the Leafs would give Marner plus for OEL, OEL has not shown himself to be a cornerstone D man for awhile now. That might hurt but I watch both of these teams a lot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Bozak will get the Leafs a draft pick. He's a decent 2nd/3rd line center. I doubt the Leafs would give Marner plus for OEL, OEL has not shown himself to be a cornerstone D man for awhile now. That might hurt but I watch both of these teams a lot.
I think the time is ripe for an OEL for Marner deal and I think OEL clearly has more trade value at this point, even with his recently diminished play. Marner isn't lighting it up this season and guys who aren't even in their prime who finished in the top ten for Norris voting multiple times carry more value than little wingers.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think the time is ripe for an OEL for Marner deal and I think OEL clearly has more trade value at this point, even with his recently diminished play. Marner isn't lighting it up this season and guys who aren't even in their prime who finished in the top ten for Norris voting multiple times carry more value than little wingers.
You leave out the minor point about OEL about to expire his contract and probably wanting a monster one without any real way to know if he can lead a winning team when it really counts. Norris votes are nice but we don't really know in terms of winning what exactly OEL is?? Marner looks off this year but he looked like a bonafida star last season, I doubt the Leafs are ready to give that up and if they are I'd be more comfortable saying they would offer that package and maybe more for Doughty before they offered it for OEL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Doughty isn't available. D like OEL almost never are. I think the Leafs would happily trade Marner for OEL.
You might be correct now as they are playing well in LA but Doughty let it be known this summer that he wasn't interested in staying around if LA wasn't going to be competing for the Cup. And everyone is available in the NHL.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd still decline that. Not moving a franchise D for a struggling sophomore (while still good) and a top-4 D.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
OEL only has 2 goals this year..........that's 1 more than Marner.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome is in the minors, would you take Dermot for him? Stupid reply based on a very small sample size.

Strome is very tradeable, the same as Marner. Difference is that I'm not in denial about the Arizona player. Marner is part of a surplus in Toronto, the type that tends to get lumped into a package for a much better player.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I have some reservation about Marner as well. I'd put money on him being a 60pnt forward for most of his career but he is slumping in a similar fashion to Duke last year. I also think we are pretty set on the smaller forwards with Domi, Keller, Reider, Merkely. I still wouldnt think it is a bad trade, but there are other scenerios I'd be happier with.

What about Boston? Is McAvoy untouchable?

To me the teams who have the assets and need for OEL in the next two years are:
Dallas
EDM
Toronto
Boston
Ottawa
NYI (Barzal)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
To me the teams who have the assets and need for OEL in the next two years are:
Dallas
EDM
Toronto
Boston
Ottawa
NYI (Barzal)

Heiskanen, Oettinger, +
Pulju, Nurse, +
Marner, Liljegren, +
Carlo, Forsbacka-Karlsson, +
Chabot, Brown, +

Islanders can't really trade Barzal until they have Tavares locked up.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Heiskanen, Oettinger, +
Pulju, Nurse, +
Marner, Liljegren, +
Chabot, Brown, +

Yeah I thought the NYI one was a bit of a stretch. Buffalo has the assets, but I dont know if two years of OEL helps for what it would cost them.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Strome is very tradeable, the same as Marner. Difference is that I'm not in denial about the Arizona player. Marner is part of a surplus in Toronto, the type that tends to get lumped into a package for a much better player.
I'm not in denial about OEL but I think history on here clearly shows that this forum has AZ players over valued on a fairly regular basis. Case in point a couple posts up has Marner compared to Duke??? Marner' S worst NHL season will probably be better than Duke's best when they are both done.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not in denial about OEL but I think history on here clearly shows that this forum has AZ players over valued on a fairly regular basis. Case in point a couple posts up has Marner compared to Duke??? Marner' S worst NHL season will probably be better than Duke's best when they are both done.

Which players were overrated?

Got the Yandle return right, after Rangers fans swore Duclair was untouchable
Got the Hanzal return right, after all fans swore he was broken garbage
Got the Vermette return right, after fans swore he'd never return a 1st
Called the Stepan deal months before it happened because it was such an obvious match

Marner is very tradeable, and OEL is in the asset class that players like Marner get traded for, because it's about winning games and cups, not HF kudos.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Heiskanen, Oettinger, +
Pulju, Nurse, +
Marner, Liljegren, +
Chabot, Brown, +

It sounds like they're not at all sure if they can lock Tavares up, perhaps Chayka should swing for the fences and see if Tavares would at all be willing to sign here long term. Probably not but a name like Tavares would make losing OEL palatable. All other scenarios being mentioned still feel like we're losing out.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I wouldn't trade OEL for Marner. We need defense or someone that plays a bit of a heavier game with skill. I'd trade OEL and duke for Drai, but I don't think EDM would do it.

I'm just not comfortable with another small skilled winger.

Reactions: Mosby and Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad