Speculation: What if...OEL wants a change of scenery?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Makes me want Nurse and to never touch Draisaitl.
Meh. Things happen. Life is complicated. I'd say that most often punching a person (off the ice) is worse than sleeping with a consenting adult that also happens to be romantically involved with another person in a "girlfriend" capacity. It's dating. Who cares?

I get they're teammates and there are enough fish in the sea that it's a dick move to sleep with your buddies girl and all but maybe both Leon and the woman have decided they like each other and dislike Nurse. Maybe Nurse has treated both of them badly. Who knows?

Punching somebody and causing a brain injury is less excusable. If somebody assaults your girlfriend, sure. If she steps out on you? Grow up.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nothing wrong with a girl "upgrading"!!!!
Meh. Things happen. Life is complicated. I'd say that most often punching a person (off the ice) is worse than sleeping with a consenting adult that also happens to be romantically involved with another person in a "girlfriend" capacity. It's dating. Who cares?

I get they're teammates and there are enough fish in the sea that it's a dick move to sleep with your buddies girl and all but maybe both Leon and the woman have decided they like each other and dislike Nurse. Maybe Nurse has treated both of them badly. Who knows?

Punching somebody and causing a brain injury is less excusable. If somebody assaults your girlfriend, sure. If she steps out on you? Grow up.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I mean Drai is a multimilionare hockey star in Edmondon, enough fish in the sea is understating it.

While punching someone in the face aint the greatest, someone who makes a poor like choices like fing over another teammate isn't the greatest either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I get they're teammates and there are enough fish in the sea that it's a dick move to sleep with your buddies girl and all

That's enough for people with good judgment and foresight. He's 22, so maybe I'm expecting too much, but the whole thing reflects poorly on him, even if there are mitigating circumstances. Completely avoidable. Completely unnecessary. You have the whole city at your feet. There's no need to cause drama with a teammate like that. Edmonton appears to be dysfunctional as hell. It wouldn't be a stretch to say these sorts of distractions are a part of that.

I really don't care about the punch. That came after a completely unnecessary situation brought upon the two on the part of Draisaitl. They're adults and athletes that have to live and work together in close proximity. We're not talking about two dudes in a cubicle farm. They have to settle it somehow.

I'd take either in trade but one has more growing up to do than the other.

Reactions: SniperHF

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's enough for people with good judgment and foresight. He's 22, so maybe I'm expecting too much, but the whole thing reflects poorly on him, even if there are mitigating circumstances. Completely avoidable. Completely unnecessary. You have the whole city at your feet. There's no need to cause drama with a teammate like that. Edmonton appears to be dysfunctional as hell. It wouldn't be a stretch to say these sorts of distractions are a part of that.

I really don't care about the punch. That came after a completely unnecessary situation brought upon the two on the part of Draisaitl. They're adults and athletes that have to live and work together in close proximity. We're not talking about two dudes in a cubicle farm. They have to settle it somehow.

I'd take either in trade but one has more growing up to do than the other.

Weird situations happen. The most legendary in the NHL is probably Brendan Shanahan and Craig Janney.

Reactions: CC96

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Weird situations happen. The most legendary in the NHL is probably Brendan Shanahan and Craig Janney.

The Blues kept Janney even though Shanahan was a much superior player. I imagine the optics would have been horrible if they kept Shanahan instead.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Blues kept Janney even though Shanahan was a much superior player. I imagine the optics would have been horrible if they kept Shanahan instead.

Yeah, still have to give the Blues major credit for landing Pronger in the swap. That's about the best possible outcome the Blues could have hoped for from the whole fiasco.

Teams today would drool over a one for one swap like that to remove a issue from their team.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t know that story. What went on. Also, blowing up a working relationship over a girl is plain stupid. I’d trade both their asses. This isn’t Major League and Drai isn’t Wild Thing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Also, if the Coyotes traded OEL they would also need to trade another asset, a first line forward to get a #1 LHD

rt

May 13, 2004
I would rather keep OEL unless he wants out for some reason.
I agree. Unless he starts to struggle again. Then you've got to deal him. The only way I keep him is if he wants to stay and is playing to the level of the contract we all know he's going to get. If he's not playing like an 8yrs 64mil 8avg defender on a regular basis approaching the deadline, then there's no point in hanging onto him. He's got to go at that point.

Reactions: Heldig

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Funny how quickly the tide changes. While he has improved, that's not saying much, due to his poor and apathetic play for an extended time. Sure he got a point (secondary), but, I didn't think his play was very good last night.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So within 2 years Stepan’s contract drops by $2m per year. OEL will be making $7M next year meaning without changing budget we can easily accommodate an extension (assuming he’s receptive).

rt

May 13, 2004
If he can't look like an 80mil defenseman for at least the 2nd half of this season, with no prolonged back steps, I wouldn't give him an extension. If he gets back on track, than I'd love to keep him forever.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Several notable Dmen along with OEL that will be eligible for extensions this summer. Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson, Ryan McDonagh.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If he can't look like an 80mil defenseman for at least the 2nd half of this season, with no prolonged back steps, I wouldn't give him an extension. If he gets back on track, than I'd love to keep him forever.
OEL is a young proven #1D. I wouldn't move him because of a slow start this year or poor finish last year. Plenty of reasons, injury, moms death, team was out of playoff contention early last few years. His production will lower his costs to us from 9-10 mill a year to something less, same as it would his open market value. In a way he will cost us less.

If OEL says he hates it hear and wants out, that is another story, then you have to trade him. Outside of that, you have to extend him because top 15 #1D are just too hard to find. Chych could turn into OEL, Gormley or Schenn, we just don't know yet and shouldn't bet on him by trading OEL. If Chych were a proven top pairing D like Trouba then I might play my hand differently.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, the OEL rumours surfaced yesterday in the New York Metro news courtesy Larry Brooks. He claims the Islanders could/should pursue OEL.

"It could cost the Islanders either Josh Ho-Sang or Anthony Beauvillier, perhaps Brock Nelson, maybe Ryan Pulock or Scott Mayfield, and probably one of the two first-rounders (their own plus Calgary’s) they own in the 2018 draft."

Oddly similar to the value discussion on these boards.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Well, the OEL rumours surfaced yesterday in the New York Metro news courtesy Larry Brooks. He claims the Islanders could/should pursue OEL.

"It could cost the Islanders either Josh Ho-Sang or Anthony Beauvillier, perhaps Brock Nelson, maybe Ryan Pulock or Scott Mayfield, and probably one of the two first-rounders (their own plus Calgary’s) they own in the 2018 draft."

I feel personally attacked, I think I threw out something similar.

rt

May 13, 2004

Ho Sang, Pulock, and a 1st? Not enough. Add 50% more value.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ho Sang, Pulock, and a 1st? Not enough. Add 50% more value.
Have to get an NHL D in return I think. Pelech over Puloch? Both? Both 1st round picks? I will venture onto the main board now and see what they are proposing there.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

If Chayka traded OEL for any mix of those pieces I think my time as a Coyote fan would come to an end. I don't want to lose OEL period but if they trade him there better be some blue chippers coming back.

Reactions: Heldig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad