Speculation: What if...OEL wants a change of scenery?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Which players were overrated?

Got the Yandle return right, after Rangers fans swore Duclair was untouchable
Got the Hanzal return right, after all fans swore he was broken garbage
Got the Vermette return right, after fans swore he'd never return a 1st
Called the Stepan deal months before it happened because it was such an obvious match

Marner is very tradeable, and OEL is in the asset class that players like Marner get traded for, because it's about winning games and cups, not HF kudos.
Coyotes players over rated in last few years as example Duke, DeAngelo, Hanzal, Reider, are few. I would add OEL is approaching over rated as people refer to him as a Franchise D in year two of his regression. I think OEL would get you Marner but I think you will be sadly disappointed with the add if those two are getting traded, which I doubt by the way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka denial:

The fact that he stated specifically not one conversation longer than five seconds makes me believe him completely. There's no need to lie with such specificity. He could easily say, "We aren't shopping him and we aren't interested in moving him. He's important and we want to keep him". That whole 5 seconds bit has me sold. You wouldn't say that if it weren't true because there's no reason to.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
The fact that he stated specifically not one conversation longer than five seconds makes me believe him completely. There's no need to lie with such specificity. He could easily say, "We aren't shopping him and we aren't interested in moving him. He's important and we want to keep him". That whole 5 seconds bit has me sold. You wouldn't say that if it weren't true because there's no reason to.

this exactly

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If you think OEL gets Marner and only the size of the add is the issue, we're pretty close to splitting hairs.
The two suggestions I said I highly doubted had Marner, Bozak, Dermot, and a 2nd with the other having Liljegren and a 1st. To me that's a lot more than add ons and I doubt the Leafs do it. Not splitting hair.

rt

May 13, 2004
They also had maximum retention on OEL and included Duclair. Both of which are equal to 2nd round picks at the very least. The remainder is small even if you think OEL isn't worth much more than Marner. Especially if you think he's at least one 2nd round pick more valuable than Marner.

Is OEL worth Marner+2nd?
Is max retention on OEL worth a 2nd?
Is Duclair worth a 2nd?

Marner & 3 2nds isn't a whole lot different than Marner & 1 2nd and Bozak and Dermott. Especially when I said "drop the 2nd".

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Retention would have little value to the Leafs, they don't need Cap relief and certainly don't need the cash. And they certainly don't have a use for Duke. So one offer asks for an actually contributing NHL'ER, an almost D except he's waiver eligible, and a 2nd round pick. The other wants essentially 2 first round picks. You aren't getting either of those.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It didn't sit well with most Coyote fans either. Most of Coyote nation thought OEL deserved it, hell last year even Doan, who was still the captain at the time, stated this was OEL's team now.

Exactly. AB and company have handled this very badly.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Indeed, but the particular purveyor of the latest OEL rumor (Brian Lawton) doesn't have a great track record either.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
For anyone who believes the public utterances of a GM, I have a lovely bridge to sell you. Chayka’s words mean nothing, one way or the other.
I agree, what a GM says publicly isn't gospel. I would say this about OEL:

His mom was sick for a long time before she passed. That can affect anybody in the work place. He had an injury and the team has been bad so far this year. All of this can take a mental toll. OEL will recover and become a top 10 D agin, the guys isn't even 30 yet. I don't see the coyotes trading him because of his play or pending contract.

If OEL wants out, hates it here and is sick of losing, then I can see him being traded. But, the package will include a current, young, top pairing D like a Trouba or Klefbon. It won't be for a winger like Marner as a center piece or picks or parts. 20 teams would be bidding for OEL, he won't be traded for cheap no matter how much he wants out. His poor play so far won't kill his value because he has been so good for so long and is still young.

Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
from a few other teams boards:

Islanders:
OEL would take a package of a pre-signed CDH, Vandesompe, JHS and next year's 2 first rounders... I would do it in a heartbeat

Washington:
Burakovsky, Johansen, Grubauer and the 2019 1st.

RABBIT

There are so many posters on this board that are so set in their beliefs, that they shit all over other people's in a heartbeat, sometimes with seemingly no due diligence or acknowledgement for what the others are saying. Not just in the Coyotes section, but main board as well. It's as if many members can't develop opinions for themselves, so they cling on to other people's views and it's becoming super redundant and kind of pitiful to watch.

Finally for the first time, this place is kind of making me sick and I'm going to be taking a break from posting for a while. I'll check in from time to time after my wedding though. To all the competent, original thinkers, later ya'll!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There are so many posters on this board that are so set in their beliefs, that they **** all over other people's in a heartbeat, sometimes with seemingly no due diligence or acknowledgement for what the others are saying. Not just in the Coyotes section, but main board as well. It's as if many members can't develop opinions for themselves, so they cling on to other people's views and it's becoming super redundant and kind of pitiful to watch.

Finally for the first time, this place is kind of making me sick and I'm going to be taking a break from posting for a while. I'll check in from time to time after my wedding though. To all the competent, original thinkers, later ya'll!

Best wishes for your nuptials, and come back soon!

rt

May 13, 2004
There are so many posters on this board that are so set in their beliefs, that they **** all over other people's in a heartbeat, sometimes with seemingly no due diligence or acknowledgement for what the others are saying. Not just in the Coyotes section, but main board as well. It's as if many members can't develop opinions for themselves, so they cling on to other people's views and it's becoming super redundant and kind of pitiful to watch.

Don't leave! I'll change. I'll work on it.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Lol it's not you guys. There are a few in this board though that have just become unbearable to read. Even the ignore option doesn't work because these people develop little small minded fan clubs that can't accept that people habe differing views.

Reactions: Sinurgy

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Which players were overrated?

Got the Yandle return right, after Rangers fans swore Duclair was untouchable
Got the Hanzal return right, after all fans swore he was broken garbage
Got the Vermette return right, after fans swore he'd never return a 1st
Called the Stepan deal months before it happened because it was such an obvious match

Marner is very tradeable, and OEL is in the asset class that players like Marner get traded for, because it's about winning games and cups, not HF kudos.

I'm not in denial about OEL but I think history on here clearly shows that this forum has AZ players over valued on a fairly regular basis. Case in point a couple posts up has Marner compared to Duke??? Marner' S worst NHL season will probably be better than Duke's best when they are both done.

Well, as a really sideways answer to these statements - maybe that also is a telling sign that some players did indeed have their best years here, in spite of the coach being the coach. It is possible that we on this forum do overvalue the players b/c we actually saw them at their strongest between 09-10 and 16-17.

Granted, we can discuss the decline of some players, but some players have not had the same level of success since leaving here either. This appears to be the first year that Yandle could come close to the 60 point plateau. Murphy is only seeing 3rd pair minutes. Hanzal is at 1 goal through 12 games and is a -10.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm more inclined to believe Hanzal is just hurt (shocking I know). He was fine in Minnesota.
Dallas also doesn't seem like the best fit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And yet we get an established good player from a premier team like the Rangers and Stepan comes here and sucks. Bad.

Stepan was already on the decline. Doesn't help that he showed up what looked to be a bit fat and out of shape.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
And yet we get an established good player from a premier team like the Rangers and Stepan comes here and sucks. Bad.

He is far from the first player to look bad in the months following having a new kid. Doesn't absolve him of everything, but I'll be interested to see if he picks it up come January or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad