Speculation: What if...OEL wants a change of scenery?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We'd need to get back at least a #1/#2 forward--preferabnly a RW (Bailey? Taveras?) and a #1/#2 D man (De Haan? Leddy?) for OEL

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We'd need to get back at least a #1/#2 forward--preferabnly a RW (Bailey? Taveras?) and a #1/#2 D man (De Haan? Leddy?) for OEL
Leddy has become a top pair Dman....20 points already this season. He's only 26 and locked up at $5.5M through 21-22, he could be the foundation for an OEL deal, NYI still would need to add. No comparing him to De Hann who's closed the a 3d than a 1d.

Josh Bailey's having a terrific season, but he's mostly a byproduct of Tavares.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
The only way I trade OEL to NYI is if I get Leddy + Barzal. I don’t think NYI would do it so I don’t think they’d be a good trade partner.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd probably trade OEL for a #1 center. Otherwise unless he indicates he won't resign here is keep him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The only way I trade OEL to NYI is if I get Leddy + Barzal. I don’t think NYI would do it so I don’t think they’d be a good trade partner.
Yeah, Islanders wouldn't do that. Leddy/Lee for OEL would also be a great get for Chayka...again, doubt Garth Snow agrees to that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Leddy has become a top pair Dman....20 points already this season. He's only 26 and locked up at $5.5M through 21-22, he could be the foundation for an OEL deal, NYI still would need to add. No comparing him to De Hann who's closed the a 3d than a 1d.

Josh Bailey's having a terrific season, but he's mostly a byproduct of Tavares.

My dude, you seem to be missing the entire point of an OEL trade. Like all previous core player trades, the goal is to shift the value closer to the realistic timeline the team is operating on aka the Keller/Chychrun age range. OEL isn't too old and he has a lot of miles left but he's a FA to be, so the clock is ticking.

The only 'sideways' move that makes sense is a deal for Trouba.

What could we get if we shipped OEL and Strome out together?

The only team that package has a lot of value for is Edmonton.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My dude, you seem to be missing the entire point of an OEL trade. Like all previous core player trades, the goal is to shift the value closer to the realistic timeline the team is operating on aka the Keller/Chychrun age range. OEL isn't too old and he has a lot of miles left but he's a FA to be, so the clock is ticking.

The only 'sideways' move that makes sense is a deal for Trouba.

The only team that package has a lot of value for is Edmonton.
Draisaitl and Klefbom would probably be the logical return. Not sure I love Drai's contract without McDavid on his line, and subtracting OEL from our own blueline for Klefbom leaves us in pretty rough shape.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Draisaitl and Klefbom would probably be the logical return. Not sure I love Drai's contract without McDavid on his line, and subtracting OEL from our own blueline for Klefbom leaves us in pretty rough shape.

Well, our D is in pretty rough shape as it is, so any change would show a willingness to improve the team. With an OEL move, we could improve things this season, so we don't have to wait until next season to see some solid hockey. It won't make much of a difference this season, but I'd rather see us show improvement throughout this lost season rather than 3 games of improved play and then 10 of "sleepy" hockey.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Would something around Severson, Zacha and picks be of interest for OEL?

Those players would fit your current time line in regards to your "core" players (Keller, Chychrun, Strome, etc) and none of them are hitting free agency anytime soon.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would something around Severson, Zacha and picks be of interest for OEL?

Those players would fit your current time line in regards to your "core" players (Keller, Chychrun, Strome, etc) and none of them are hitting free agency anytime soon.
OEL ia way better than Larsson. Look what you got for Larsson. Your offer is not close.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Judging by Doughty's and Karlsson's comments the market price to sign a 1D is about to move higher. This means the starting point and likely $ figure starts with a 1 and the next digit may not be a 0. That s inflates the $ figure foe OEL but I will temper this by saying there aren't many teams (even the ones that currently employ Doughty and Karlsso) who have the cap space to accommodate and with everyone hitting the market at once I suspect things may not go as high as they would have otherwise.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Judging by Doughty's and Karlsson's comments the market price to sign a 1D is about to move higher. This means the starting point and likely $ figure starts with a 1 and the next digit may not be a 0. That s inflates the $ figure foe OEL but I will temper this by saying there aren't many teams (even the ones that currently employ Doughty and Karlsso) who have the cap space to accommodate and with everyone hitting the market at once I suspect things may not go as high as they would have otherwise.
It seems so dumb to me that a benchmark is reached every time a team signs an overpriced contract like PK but no deflation happens when a player signs a lower than value contract?? Why should the Coyotes, Sens, and Kings be held ransom because the Habs signed a stupid deal with a better than average D man?

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It seems so dumb to me that a benchmark is reached every time a team signs an overpriced contract like PK but no deflation happens when a player signs a lower than value contract?? Why should the Coyotes, Sens, and Kings be held ransom because the Habs signed a stupid deal with a better than average D man?
Market is the market. If you don’t like it, don’t pay. Works both ways.

The main mute the Oilers signed Draisaitl and McDavid this summer the market price for first line players moved higher. 2 models will emerge. One where you pay the stars and a bunch of nobodies and one where you have a team full of mid priced talent but much better overall depth. Let’s face it the Penguins once high priced players are actually in mid tier salary band. If u pay a guy like OEL what holes on the roster does it eventually create that can’t be filled by youth/cheaper entry level players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad