What happened with Nikita Filatov?

incineratorz

Jan 9, 2012
Ouch.

There seem to see a lot of the 1st round pick Russians than didn't pan out. Zherdev, Filatov, Frolov, Radulov, Tikhonov, arguably Yakupov...

IIRC, in early 2000's there was a flood of high Russian draft picks (1-10) than never went on to do anything...

And that sir is why theres such a thing called "the russian factor" and that is also why many teams will go for a lesser potential canadian or american player before any russian.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well you know what? Good for Filatov for realizing his **** stinks like the rest of ours does. It took him a LONG time but better late than never. He can have a heck of a career if he puts his mind to it and possibly even a future in the NHL.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And that sir is why theres such a thing called "the russian factor" and that is also why many teams will go for a lesser potential canadian or american player before any russian.

If only they had Russian Jonathan Toews. There would be no more factors because then everyone would know how to play hockey the right way.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

This suggests there are no 1st round NA busts, which is far from true.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I remember he got rocked a some point in the AHL with Binghamton, possibly during the playoffs, and still came back to finish the game. I'm assuming that left a lasting effect on his brain as he quickly disappeared soon after that hit.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The Russian Factor is kind of dead since the value of the KHL has fallen dramatically. You don't see to many prospects staying over in Russia for long anymore.

Good for Filatov. He can still have a future in the NHL if he tries hard enough to. So much skill.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
exactly - just as many North Americans bust. Most prospects end up as busts.

The fact that Tyler Biggs was a flop hardly means there is an "American factor"

I wonder if you will start to see an American factor, or more accurately, an NCAA factor with the uptick in college draft picks not signing with the teams that drafted them.

High profile guys will still go normally, but maybe teams hesitate a little with players that will take a little longer to develop.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
exactly - just as many North Americans bust. Most prospects end up as busts.

The fact that Tyler Biggs was a flop hardly means there is an "American factor"

Filatov was more about the "lazy factor" then the "Russian factor." You can't be a perimeter player and have much success.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
No, it suggests there is simply a lower likelihood of a NA player busting.

A North American player busting stays in North America, staying within view of NHL GMs if he sticks around the AHL long enough to get a chance at the NHL again. A European player busting means going back to Sweden, Russia or Finland, never to be seen again.

Given the exact same talent, a North American player capable of spot duties will fight his utmost to stay in the NHL, whereas a European has more options. So while a NA bust might play 50 games or so as a 4th liner on a weak team, that same Russian could go back to Russia, earn slightly more money but more importantly play 1st or 2nd line minutes on his Russian team. So one (the NA player) ends up with 50+ games on his career basically because he continued to try for the NHL for another 5 years, while the Euro players have no problem with going back home earlier and being stuck at say, a cup of coffee in the NHL.

So the context by which to describe "busts" and "likelihood of busting" in this scenario is not by and large equal between one and the other.

If only they had Russian Jonathan Toews. There would be no more factors because then everyone would know how to play hockey the right way.

They did, his name is Pavel Datsyuk.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Always great to see a highlight of my brotha from anotha motha.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
After reading about his troubles I'm cheering for him. Glad to see he's had a great start this season. Maybe he can stay with Lada Togliatti for awhile rather than changing teams every half a year.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
photo.php

That smirk just screams "I do what I want"
:laugh: It's even funnier his current KHL profile pic seems to say "What do you want from me coach? Rebounds? Blocking shots? PK?".
15050.jpg

14 points in 18 KHL games so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad