What happened with Nikita Filatov?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Good old Nikita. always good for a laugh. Filly doesn't do hockey.

6 teams over 2 leagues in the past 3 seasons. At 25 his career has just about reached its end.

member 157595

It's entirely possible that he had no idea what all Crosby did to be as awesome as he is and just presumed that it was exclusively Natural Talent or something. :dunno:

It's possible, but how can anyone watch Crosby and not see how well he does all the little things? Crosby's the best hockey player in the league but he's definitely not the most flashy.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I guess he just doesn't do rebounds.

For all the people that have mentioned Zherdev in this thread, i'm honestly surprised he isn't in the NHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's possible, but how can anyone watch Crosby and not see how well he does all the little things? Crosby's the best hockey player in the league but he's definitely not the most flashy.
Yeah, but he may not recognize where the drive and the ability to "do all those little things" comes from. Crosby practices like a madman.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
We share the same last name and when you share any attribute with me, it's clear you won't succeed at an NHL level.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Filatov was drafted by Columbus and instead of sending him to juniors to develop they kept him in the NHL then sent him to the AHL. I still think had Columbus sent him down to juniors for a year he'd have been a much better player.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
You can talk about his attitude and whether Filly does or don't do rebounds all that, and obviously that contributed, but man did he just suck at everything when I saw him in Ottawa. You would never have known he had any talent at all there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Filatov was drafted by Columbus and instead of sending him to juniors to develop they kept him in the NHL then sent him to the AHL. I still think had Columbus sent him down to juniors for a year he'd have been a much better player.
I'm surprised it took this long for the hilariously misinformed "blame Columbus" theories to come along.

For the record, Filatov started his first season in North America in the AHL, not the NHL. He was never a candidate for juniors because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL. He was briefly called up mid-season during some injury issues and sent back down after eight games. You know, kind of like any other forward prospect.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm surprised it took this long for the hilariously misinformed "blame Columbus" theories to come along.

For the record, Filatov started his first season in North America in the AHL, not the NHL. He was never a candidate for juniors because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL. He was briefly called up mid-season during some injury issues and sent back down after eight games. You know, kind of like any other forward prospect.

He was a candidate for juniors even though he was drafted out of Russia, he went 1st overall in the import draft so a CHL team did hold his rights. He played a week in the AHL was brought up to the NHL for a bit and bounced between the two leagues for the season playing a total of 8 games in the NHL.

I still think time in juniors would have done him a world of good.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He was a candidate for juniors even though he was drafted out of Russia, he went 1st overall in the import draft so a CHL team did hold his rights. He played a week in the AHL was brought up to the NHL for a bit and bounced between the two leagues for the season playing a total of 8 games in the NHL.

I still think time in juniors would have done him a world of good.

Oh, sure, sure. Because committing the best forward prospect the Jackets had to emergency callups only was totally the sane and reasonable thing to do. :rolleyes:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
photo.php

That smirk just screams "I do what I want"

That's Zac Efron man.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He had a lot of the same problems that Pavel Brendl did, minus the krispy kremes and hot dogs. Didn't give a **** about his teammates, of learning to play a team or two-way game, basically thinking he was good enough to get by on skill alone. And to be sure he had an all-world skill level, but that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee if you have a **** attitude and absolutely no desire to round out your game. Seeing his performance at the Sask WJC in person, you could literally sense just how much he didn't give a **** every single time he stepped on the ice. If he had cared even a little bit he could have at least been another Frolov or Semin.

Also, he apparently doesn't do rebounds, probably never learned to box out.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I agree. Sudbury would of been humbling, he got too much too soon.

To go to Sudbury he'd have to agree to go. Filatov made it clear, either he played in the NHL or he played in the KHL. He spent a little time in the AHL, but after that, any time Columbus wanted to send him back to the AHL, he'd bolt for Russia.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
In my eyes, Filatov was still a potentially good player until he got destroyed in an open ice hit against the Sharks in the second game of what was supposed to be his first full season. After that, he never wanted to carry the puck, never wanted to skate through open ice, etc. Before that hit, I thought he was a decent player, but he was never the same after that. Obviously his attitude was a problem as well.

I've never been so disappointed in how a player has turned out, before the Jackets drafted him, I was totally convinced that he was going to be a star.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's Zac Efron man.

I see it. But the much uglier unpolished version. I think it is apt to look at the physique of the "actor" Zac Effron. He is an actor but realizes a ton of his popularity and success is because he is good looking. He works out a ton and improves his attractiveness and looks ripped beyond belief. While Zfilatov knows he has talent and doesn't bother working at it.

I am sure Effron is stronger and more fit then Filatov. And Filatov is a pro athlete with a huge pedigree.

Effron worked hard to not be an 18 year old flash in the pan 15 minutes of fame youth star and is maybe gonna be an A list actor for decades. Filatov tried to live off being a talented 17/18 year old and just mailed it in afterwards.

He should be compared to Daigle. Some nice tools. No tool box. Given too much too early and wasn't fully bought in to be a top competitor. But at least Daigle bought in later and had a couple sucessful years on the Wild after he fully committed to being an NHLer. Filatov is washing out of a second tier league.

How many NHLers had less talent and made decent NHL careers mostly through sheer will power, desire, effort and full committment to be a top level athlete? Like 75% of NHLers. Maybe more then that.

I think Filly don't do rebounds is the stupidest thing I have ever heard any NHLer quoted as saying. Ever. Who did he think he was? Wayne Gretzky? Wayne Gretzky can say "Wayne doesn't do body checks." Because he is Wayne Freaking Gretzky and he was better at everything else then everyone else and worked harder then everyone else too. I mean even calling himself Filly.. In the third person? Who is he? Bo Jackson? Donald Trump? Lebron? Who is some prospect player talking about himself in the third person?

Anyway. I hope he saved the money he made playing hockey so far because I doubt he will make a lot more playing the sport. Even in the Euro leagues.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
To go to Sudbury he'd have to agree to go. Filatov made it clear, either he played in the NHL or he played in the KHL. He spent a little time in the AHL, but after that, any time Columbus wanted to send him back to the AHL, he'd bolt for Russia.

No, he said he wanted to play in North America, he came out and said it. That's why Sudbury drafted his first I believe.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No, he said he wanted to play in North America, he came out and said it. That's why Sudbury drafted his first I believe.

His ultimatum came in 2009-2010 after Columbus and Sudbury had already drafted him. He refused to be demoted and basically forced Columbus to either let him play in the NHL or go back to Russia.

So yes, Columbus couldn't bring him along slowly like they wanted to. They wanted him to spend significant time in the AHL and Filatov wasn't willing to go.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Kind of weak and played on a bad team in cbj but yes, he could have produced in ott

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00