What happened with Nikita Filatov?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Filatov was drafted by Columbus and instead of sending him to juniors to develop they kept him in the NHL then sent him to the AHL. I still think had Columbus sent him down to juniors for a year he'd have been a much better player.

Filatov couldn't be sent to juniors when he first came over to North America. There was all sorts of issue with getting a transfer. Once Sudbury finally got everything clear for him to play in the OHL, it was the end of November and Filatov was scoring a little below a point a game in the AHL. It made no sense for him to be sent to the OHL when he was doing so well in the AHL.

Here's the Filatov Watch thread from 2008 from Sudbury fan forum: http://forum.icedogfans.com/showthread.php?t=3400. It has some articles that explained what was going on. Filatov was cleared by the Russians to play in the NHL or AHL, but not junior hockey.

Part of the problem was things did come easily in the beginning, so there was no motivation for Filatov to actually change what he was doing. When he struggled, he blamed other people, rather than realize that what worked in junior hockey wasn't going to work in the NHL.

His NHL hat trick is often mentioned as to his potential, but that came during a high scoring game that was not anything typical you would see usually in the NHL. Expecting that type of scenario to happen regularly is crazy, but I think Filatov's ego got inflated from that and he wanted it to always be that easy.

In the AHL, he was getting so many points by cherry picking, by floating and on the power play. He didn't have to work all that hard to average a point a game, but that also didn't help get him ready for the NHL.

Had he been sent to the OHL where he would have been able to float, cherry pick, slack and put up tons of points, how would that have helped him develop? He would have been playing against weaker competition.

The NHL was the best place for him to actually face competition and see that he needed to get better. And he was improving. The incident that was the beginning of the end of Filatov's NHL career was the hit during the game against the Sharks. Maybe he had a concussion from that hit, but his style of play became so much more timid after that. Up until then, he seemed to try to play more of the NHL style game. After that, he was all perimeter.

Last edited:

Moriarty

Sep 29, 2006
http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1040802659.html

Here's a recent and very candid interview (in russian), where Filatov talks about gambling, debts and other issues. Admitting that he didn't work hard enough and wasn't ready to handle the situation. Also stating that any talks of Hitchcock ruining him are nonsense.

Basically taking full responsibility and ownership himself.

At least that's what I get based on my internet translation skills.

Very commendable and seems he has matured quite a bit. Good for him that he has learned from his mistakes and gained valuable insight. Still probably too late to salvage his career unfortunately.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1040802659.html

Here's a recent and very candid interview (in russian), where Filatov talks about gambling, debts and other issues. Admitting that he didn't work hard enough and wasn't ready to handle the situation. Also stating that any talks of Hitchcock ruining him are nonsense.

Basically taking full responsibility and ownership himself.

At least that's what I get based on my internet translation skills.

Very commendable and seems he has matured quite a bit. Good for him that he has learned from his mistakes and gained valuable insight. Still probably too late to salvage his career unfortunately.

I see a lot of people bashing the hell out of him, in this thread, but perhaps they should read this interview.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Good to hear that he's taking responsibility and seems to have learned from his mistakes, but most likely too little too late

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Wow.. he writes that he had to leave NHL because of debts. Ottawa wanted him to stay and work himself up through AHL, but the AHL salary wasn't enough to pay off the debt so he had to sign with a KHL team. He is also only 1.5 years sober... Didn't know he fell so low.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I see a lot of people bashing the hell out of him, in this thread, but perhaps they should read this interview.
If that translation and summation is accurate, I'm willing to forgive. Just have never heard something like that from him before.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
I've never seen a player so easily separated from the puck. Which is a bad thing when you're useless without the puck on your stick.

I vaguely remember him complaining about being sent down because his NHL paychecks were exponentially bigger than his AHL paychecks which would complement the gambling revelations

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I've never seen a player so easily separated from the puck. Which is a bad thing when you're useless without the puck on your stick.

I vaguely remember him complaining about being sent down because his NHL paychecks were exponentially bigger than his AHL paychecks which would complement the gambling revelations

Yeah but who is ultimately responsible for his debt and addiction issues? Filatov himself. It's one thing if his parents spent him into debt and he needed NHL salary to support himself/them, it's another thing if he spends himself into debt and finds himself in a pickle. In the first case, he's acting responsibly. In the second case, he's acting irresponsibly.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah but who is ultimately responsible for his debt and addiction issues? Filatov himself. It's one thing if his parents spent him into debt and he needed NHL salary to support himself/them, it's another thing if he spends himself into debt and finds himself in a pickle. In the first case, he's acting responsibly. In the second case, he's acting irresponsibly.
True, but if he's truly owning up to it now and trying to fix things, that's a positive that should be acknowledged. (Not that I suspect you disagree with that; just trying to make that clear.)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
CBJ Prospects Retweeted
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 7h7 hours ago
Filatov:Hitch once offered me a trade-off:I do everything he wants on our half of the rink&he gives me an absolute freedom in the other half

More Filatov: Now I know Hitch did me a big favor but then I just turned a deaf ear. Thought smth like: I know how to score, don't touch me

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
CBJ Prospects Retweeted
Filatov:Hitch once offered me a trade-off:I do everything he wants on our half of the rink&he gives me an absolute freedom in the other half

More Filatov: Now I know Hitch did me a big favor but then I just turned a deaf ear. Thought smth like: I know how to score, don't touch me
Yeah, that's pretty much the textbook definition of "uncoachable" right there.

Glad he at least recognizes his errors now and is owning up to them. Hopefully he'll be able to improve.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
LOL at people comparing Frolov and Yakupov to Filatov.

Frolov had injury issues and Yak has a solid work ethic and willingness to learn (i.e https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnhl/nail-yakupov-on-the-powerplay) - it's just his hockey sense is pretty low so he's a waterbug flailing around.

Yakupov has been one of the hardest working players on the Oilers and has tried to completely turn his game into a 2way, north/south player to accomadate the coaching staff in Edmonton. The fact that Yakupov just isn't very good at that role and has regressed offensively should not mean that he is anything like Filatov.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
For a guy who was almost a PPG in both the KHL and AHL shortly after he was drafted, I'm shocked that he has 0 goals and only 3 assists in 21 games in the KHL this year at age 26.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00