What happened with Nikita Filatov?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Can we get context on the rebounds thing? I'm curious.

“One of Filatov’s many previous coaches calls him into room with video guy for one-on-one film work, to show him instances where they want him to crash the net and get to rebounds, create scoring chances.
After four or five clips, Filatov steps back from the monitor, looks at the coaches and says, flatly: “Filly don’t do rebounds.â€

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/filly-dont-do-rebounds

The guy is legendary for all the wrong reasons. Can't believe I wanted the guy over Luke Schenn, who's not a great player himself but he always gave effort and got us JVR.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Here's a quote from his coach at the WJC:

"The main cause of our performance was my mistake in choosing the captain. A captain should be an example of how to behave on the ice, in the locker room and outside the arena. We trusted Filatov with the captaincy hoping that his experience would help him and his teammates be successful.

"Unfortunately, Filatov did not get it. He failed as a leader. After the game with Switzerland, I came to the locker room and apologized in front of the team for my choice of captain. Filatov was not worthy of wearing the C.

"When I suggested Filatov as captain I was hoping for a different result, for a different approach to what we hoped to achieve. We didn't need an exhibition of individual skill on the ice. The number of points that Nikita got in this tournament he should have had in one period against Austria. And he got a lot of ice time.

"I had issues not only with how Nikita played, but also with how he prepared for games. How is it possible that I had to constantly tell an adult that he shouldn't be late for practices and warm-ups? A captain should be an example for everybody, not someone that puts himself above everyone.

"I had a serious talk with Filatov after the exhibition loss to Latvia. He assured me that everything is going to be fine, but then was once again invisible in our first game against Austria. I even told him, 'If you don't wanna play, leave the ice.' A captain has no right to play like that.

"We constantly practiced the power play, but it didn't work during games. We were relying on Filatov, but he seemed to play his own game. We told him many times that diagonal passes won't work, but he replied that HIS diagonal passes work. You all saw how well they worked.

"I do not accept any responsibility for this result. We did what we could with this squad. Our country should seriously think about youth hockey."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/322139-war-of-words-over-disastrous-performance-by-russia-in-wjc

Filatov is the very definition of uncoachable.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Guy was considered by many to have 1st line potential in the NHL. Year after year he flashed his potential but never put together a consistent good season. Usually when a European player busts in NA he goes back to their home country and becomes a star. Filatov however is now barely a KHL regular. Was is the environment which ruined him or there wasn't any NHL ability to begin with?

suffered some injuries that made him worse from what i understand. In his first while in the KHL he was good

There was a story about him getting a call to come to sens camp a day before it was suppose to start and he hopped on a plane that night with no gear and had to use someone else skates. He didnt have to come but he wanted to. That was the last time he was with the sens.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ouch.

There seem to see a lot of the 1st round pick Russians than didn't pan out. Zherdev, Filatov, Frolov, Radulov, Tikhonov, arguably Yakupov...

IIRC, in early 2000's there was a flood of high Russian draft picks (1-10) than never went on to do anything...

Frolov was a 30 goal scorer that was fantastic defensively. He was also a possession beast. Not a bust by any definition.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ouch.

There seem to see a lot of the 1st round pick Russians than didn't pan out. Zherdev, Filatov, Frolov, Radulov, Tikhonov, arguably Yakupov...

IIRC, in early 2000's there was a flood of high Russian draft picks (1-10) than never went on to do anything...

Frolov had a respectable career, it just seemed like he had an extra gear that never got engaged. 1996, 1999, 2000-02 just ended up being dud years all around not just with Russian picks.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He was lazy but I really think his skillset was overrated as well. Never saw a future star in him.

All sizzle no steak and not enough sizzle to be like that.

Even your pure finesse players that succeed tend to have something else to go with it. Guy like Alex Semin. Tons of finesse, like Filatov. Unlike Filatov, he was a big guy with an expansive wingspan and possibly an NHL-best wrist shot. Alex Kovalev. As much finesse as any player ever. He was also 3-5 inches taller than Filatov and strong as a freaking ox.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ouch.

Zherdev gets a bad rap getting lumped in with Filatov (or Yakupov). Filatov was a complete and utter failure. Zherdev never became Kovalev, but he did conjure about 20 goals a year out of nowhere, no matter who he played with.

People expected more from him, but his skill was in wrongfooting people long enough to buy himself time to finish, which worked about 20 times a year. He didn't have the intuition to do more.

Also, Radulov didn't not pan out. He did develop; he just left for Russia to basically triple his earnings. I really can't fault anyone for something like that.

"Any actions by our most technically gifted player Alexander Burmistrov, whether during games or in practices Plyushchev called 'glamor crap' and instructed him to knock it off.

In retrospect, Plyushchev comes off as pretty ****ing smart.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think Zherdev's issues were different. He acted pretty erratically at times. He also had an incident where the girlfriend accused him of assaulting her.

He was talented. He never reached the game breaking level he was projected to reach pre-draft, but he was a solid top-6 player. The only reason he didn't continue longer was because he thought he could get more money in Russia and also had some off ice issues I think.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I think Zherdev's issues were different. He acted pretty erratically at times. He also had an incident where the girlfriend accused him of assaulting her.

He was talented. He never reached the game breaking level he was projected to reach pre-draft, but he was a solid top-6 player. The only reason he didn't continue longer was because he thought he could get more money in Russia and also had some off ice issues I think.

Zherdev was in rehab in Russia before coming back briefly to play for the Flyers. He actually did assault his GF, smashed the mirrors of her Bentley at some restaurant parking space in Moscow. He had huge alcohol problems, don't know if he worked it out now, because it doesn't seem he plays well in the KHL.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Didn't say bust - said "didn't pan out".

Still don't think Frolov really fits on that list. He's 7th in goals, 8th in points from his draft year while being drafted 20th. Was well liked in LA by fans and teammates, he was just slow and had a very rapid decline. But looking at that first round, there's at most 10 guys I'd take over him, making him still one of the better picks at #20.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Ouch.

So, anything ending with vowel followed by a v.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
All sizzle no steak and not enough sizzle to be like that.

Even your pure finesse players that succeed tend to have something else to go with it. Guy like Alex Semin. Tons of finesse, like Filatov. Unlike Filatov, he was a big guy with an expansive wingspan and possibly an NHL-best wrist shot. Alex Kovalev. As much finesse as any player ever. He was also 3-5 inches taller than Filatov and strong as a freaking ox.

Kovalev might have been off in his own world on the ice at times but he was a good teammate. Never late for practice. He should never be compared to Filatov in any way shape or form. He played 1000 games because and was as fit as anyone in the league. Plus he actually cared about winning hockey games. Kovalev was an odd duck and a unique character that had some attributes that might have not always been positive. Nothing like Filatov.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
photo.php

That smirk just screams "I do what I want"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad