What happened with Nikita Filatov?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Guy was considered by many to have 1st line potential in the NHL. Year after year he flashed his potential but never put together a consistent good season. Usually when a European player busts in NA he goes back to their home country and becomes a star. Filatov however is now barely a KHL regular. Was is the environment which ruined him or there wasn't any NHL ability to begin with?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Alain Chaney, who ran the Ducks draft for years, told a good story about Filatov a few weeks ago on TVA Sports.

Filatov enters the Ducks hotel room for the interview at the combine. Filatov asks the scouts: ''what pick do you guys have?'' They tell him they have the 12th pick. Filatov answers: ''I am projected as a top 5 pick, why are you interviewing me?'' Chaney is angered, tells Filatov they could make a trade to move up for all they know. Filatov basically mailed in the rest of the interview and did not see the point.

Chaney and the Ducks put Filatov after 12th on their list after that. Wanted no part of him.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Alain Chaney, who ran the Ducks draft for years, told a good story about Filatov a few weeks ago on TVA Sports.

Filatov enters the Ducks hotel room for the interview at the combine. Filatov asks the scouts: ''what pick do you guys have?'' They tell him they have the 12th pick. Filatov answers: ''I am projected as a top 5 pick, why are you interviewing me?'' Chaney is angered, tells Filatov they could make a trade to move up for all they know. Filatov basically mailed in the rest of the interview and did not see the point.

Chaney and the Ducks put Filatov after 12th on their list after that. Wanted no part of him.

Jesus that's brutal. Wonder if reality struck him hard and his confidence took a sharp turn downwards.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Guy was considered by many to have 1st line potential in the NHL. Year after year he flashed his potential but never put together a consistent good season. Usually when a European player busts in NA he goes back to their home country and becomes a star. Filatov however is now barely a KHL regular. Was is the environment which ruined him or there wasn't any NHL ability to begin with?

Tools of an elite NHL player, no toolbox to work them because he had no work ethic. He had the attitude of an NHL star before he even played a minute in the league. He showed a ton of improvement in this area in his first season in Columbus/Syracuse. He was lighting up the AHL, was a good teammate, and working hard. The worst thing to happen to him in his hockey career is the hat trick he got against Minnesota as a rookie. After that, he reverted into this "I have arrived" mentality and thought he was a star already. Hitchcock didn't have any of that, and once he got sent back to the AHL he mopped and whined. Then you know what happened the next year when he struggled, he took his pucks and went home. Burned all bridges with the staff and management. Was given another chance under Scott Arniel, blew it, and did the same once he got to Ottawa after a year or two.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Lmao what a tool if true.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Kid could have been a star if he really wanted to. Shame he was lazy

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

...yea I don't feel bad for him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can we get context on the rebounds thing? I'm curious.

“One of Filatov’s many previous coaches calls him into room with video guy for one-on-one film work, to show him instances where they want him to crash the net and get to rebounds, create scoring chances.

After four or five clips, Filatov steps back from the monitor, looks at the coaches and says, flatly: “Filly don’t do rebounds.â€

I vaguely recall that there was some question about whether the story was completely legit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00