What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Please don't use advanced stats if you're then going to post something as incredibly ignorant as this.

At 5v5 we have the 9th worst CF%, 9th worst GF%, worst xGF% (Yes even worse than Detroit) the worst HDCF% and only team below 40%.

We rely on talent to win us games and Helle to drag us kicking and screaming to a place where we can do so.

We're an awful awful team by an analytics measurement.

Are you saying they arent a bad team and that they dont have the worst win% in the central?

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
-Paul Maurice might be the worst Powerplay-coach of all time. Every single person watching or playing the games knows what's going on. The Jets 1st PP was awful most of last season (after they started doing the same routine every time), and it has been awful most of this year, at least compared to the level of players on it.

-Neal Pionk keeps on shooting it on the PP, and not passing it. His shooting is horrible. There are multiple examples of him not passing it to Laine despite him being completely open & ready to shoot it.

-Laine's current summer training program has made him slower pretty much every season he's been on it. He was so slow & jammed up last season that he decided to reduce it in the summer. In stead he should've blown up his training program for good.

-Due to his idiotic summer training program, he did much less sport specific training (skating, shooting) in the summers 2016-2018, and it started to show. His shot deteriorated. Even in 2019 he did less than others.

-He's playing with guys who like to shoot it themselves. It's not optimal at all if you wish to maximize his goal scoring. Matthews, for example, is playing with Marner who is pretty much always trying to pass.

-During the contract negotiations / last summer Maurice / Chevaldeyoff wanted him to become an "all-around"-player, they didn't really give a shit about him scoring goals. Now he's trying to be that, even over-do it. He's become a much more "boring" player, pretty much always being the last forward in on the attacks, covering up for the D all the time etc.

Reactions: Mbraunm and Jedub

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
He's still playing really well. He's on pace for 74 points. It seems like his all-around game has gone up while his goal scoring has gone down.

Who gives a shit about 70-80 points?

Laine has a god-given talent to entertain the fans by blasting some highlight-reel goals. That's what he should do.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Are you saying they arent a bad team and that they dont have the worst win% in the central?

Which is weird, becuase thats what I said and get got all pissy

. . . wat?

You do get that the Jets are an abysmal advanced stats team right? I love people that want to post statistics they clearly don't understand lmao

You mean they are just a bad team. Not like Ottawa or Detroit bad, but below average and have the worst point % in the central.

Please don't use advanced stats if you're then going to post something as incredibly ignorant as this.

At 5v5 we have the 9th worst CF%, 9th worst GF%, worst xGF% (Yes even worse than Detroit) the worst HDCF% and only team below 40%.

We rely on talent to win us games and Helle to drag us kicking and screaming to a place where we can do so.

We're an awful awful team by an analytics measurement.

We're Ottawa or Detroit bad at 5v5 analytically but we have the talent and goaltending to get wins they can't.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What happened to Laine's goal scoring?
Austin Matthews took away Patrick's goal scoring mojo.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Lot of people running their mouth for few finnish fanboys opinions.

These "Laine is like Lemieux" and "Better goalscorer than Ovechkin" takes were as hilarious as the "Matthews is generational" ones.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Lot of people running their mouth for few finnish fanboys opinions.

These "Laine is like Lemieux" and "Better goalscorer than Ovechkin" takes were as hilarious as the "Matthews is generational" ones.

Except a real argument can be made that Matthews is a generational talent. He’s currently a Hart contender and I doubt we’ll see a better goalscoring centre for a long time.

Unlike Stamkos, he can do it all offensively. I have no concerns about him sustaining this type of production.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Except a real argument can be made that Matthews is a generational talent. He’s currently a Hart contender and I doubt we’ll see a better goalscoring centre for a long time.

Unlike Stamkos, he can do it all offensively. I have no concerns about him sustaining this type of production.
Haha no, there is no real argument for it, sorry.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North

He needs a few 100 point seasons first to be even considered.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's on pace for 5 power play goals. 2 years ago he scored 20 in one season.

Last year his ES scoring went down, but this year it's back to the same type of pace it was couple years ago (except with more assists).

In other words, he'd be a 40 goalscorer again this year if the PP was clicking. But it's not. Not only does it take away potential goals, but you also miss out on the extra confidence boost in general.

Obviously, not having a proper PP QB hurts (Buff). But his shot also seems to be off target a lot. They have to fix that. There's no reason not to score goals with that type of shot on the PP.
I remember when Jets fans said Buff WAS the problem on the PP. Always looking for the shot and not dishing to Laine.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Why does your opinion on a player you don't watch and know nothing about matter to anyone? The only thing that actually matters is objective results, not your feelings

Is he getting the results, though? I've seen maybe 5 Jets games and thought he looked much better than last year from the eye test, but what results can you point to to support this?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I remember when Jets fans said Buff WAS the problem on the PP. Always looking for the shot and not dishing to Laine.

There is truth in what you say.

But. Since Buff missing from the line, things are even worse than that. Easy to miss Buff. Now problem is that Laine is neither fed at all, or then when a pass comes it comes so late and/or slow that one-timer opportunity is already gone. Nobody couldt point those fails from Buffy's pass, and when he shot himself, there was also much better rebounds and Wheeler was more useful in such circumstances too.

I miss Buffy.

Laine can still shoot, but sharpness in his aim is not what it was. Ping, miss, miss, pong, miss, miss, miss, pong...

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

True, but i think that was also the fans just wanting to see Laine score as many as he could. There was truth to that but it didn’t stop him from scoring 15-20 goals per season the last couple years.

At the end of the day Buff was a threat on his own, kind of like Carlson in WSH to an extent. Now its just more predictable with Wheeler looking for the seam while everyone knows its coming.

I see they’ve tried to shake it up recently with Laine playing the bumper but no success yet.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017

It's never Laine. Always someone else. :laugh:

Maurice, Buff, Little etc.

Well, one thing is for certain. He's not winning any Rockets anytime soon.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
It's never Laine. Always someone else. :laugh:

Maurice, Buff, Little etc.

Well, one thing is for certain. He's not winning any Rockets anytime soon.

Those are old excuses the new ones are his linemates- 55 and KC, as well as noone on the jets is able to make a good enough pass to laine. Even laine and his ego would cringe at these. Nevermind a rocket soon I doubt he ever gets one.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
"Laine is having an amazing season, we're just a bad analytics team".

No, you're a below average team and Laine has been a bad player -- dressing lipstick on a pig isn't going to make the pig look any better. Possession and quality driven metrics have conclusively shown that success is driven by being able to consistently drive possession into the other team's end linked with being able to generate high quality scoring chances. The correlation is quite literally ironclad.

There's more studies being developed to show a correlation being zone entries and exits, but in and of itself, it seems less of a correlation and more of a supporting metric that needs to be fleshed out more.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's just a former goal scorer, no big deal.

Honestly it just seems like his shooting percentage wasn't as sustainable as it appeared, and he's evolving into more of a playmaker than working on generating more shots

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
My guess, he was told if he wants the big bucks he has to do everything rather than just be a goal scorer so he's adjusted his game accordingly, in places he'd usually shoot he's passing now. He on pace for a career high in points?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
he's just a former goal scorer, no big deal.

Honestly it just seems like his shooting percentage wasn't as sustainable as it appeared, and he's evolving into more of a playmaker than working on generating more shots

We are still talking about potential 500G player, potential that is more "real" than for various others of his peers. About that sustainability of his S%. For Laine the first part of his career his shooting percentage was very high, and nothing within that about 2-2.5 year sample indicated his shooting % would be "artificially" too high, as the sample itself in that matter was internally consistent. When the trend ended, it ended in October with 18 goals in few weeks and with insanely high S% from that same period. Then came slump. Slump continued. In Playoffs Patrik performed well. Then came his new contract and new assignments within a team that had meanwhile become a joke, defenseless bubble with non-functional PP. This latter half of his career has been very sad to watch if you're fan of his howitzer shot: its still there but it is weirdly off, meanwhile his overall utilization doesn't support Laine the Sniper as it did before. Still, overall it is easy to see that Laine is playing his best overall game this season. How you really measure that shooting% sustainability when his career is divided to two roughly differing phases, where also eye-test defends the perception. Taking just average doesn't make justice for him, because that would not represent of those shooting 'phases' of him, but on the other hand how he managed to maintain consistency over such long period of time (about 100G in about 200GP) and then suddenly just lose it all?

If people would be just as trigger happy to get rid of Maurice as Patty was in scoring goals, I'm sure Laine would find his aim again. It is in his muscle memory after all.

For commenting about those 'Lemieux' comments, surprisingly Laine has been able to play and score some of his most Lemieuxishque goals and scoring situations this year. Also, most of Lemieux comparisons were related to his occasional, but superficial resemblances of his on ice attire, not exactly to his potential to become comparable player skills-wise. That is now forgotten from the comments ridiculing those already years old Lemieux comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
We are still talking about potential 500G player, potential that is more "real" than for various others of his peers. About that sustainability of his S%. For Laine the first part of his career his shooting percentage was very high, and nothing within that about 2-2.5 year sample indicated his shooting % would be "artificially" too high, as the sample itself in that matter was internally consistent. When the trend ended, it ended in October with 18 goals in few weeks and with insanely high S% from that same period. Then came slump. Slump continued. In Playoffs Patrik performed well. Then came his new contract and new assignments within a team that had meanwhile become a joke, defenseless bubble with non-functional PP. This latter half of his career has been very sad to watch if you're fan of his howitzer shot: its still there but it is weirdly off, meanwhile his overall utilization doesn't support Laine the Sniper as it did before. Still, overall it is easy to see that Laine is playing his best overall game this season. How you really measure that shooting% sustainability when his career is divided to two roughly differing phases, where also eye-test defends the perception. Taking just average doesn't make justice for him, because that would not represent of those shooting 'phases' of him, but on the other hand how he managed to maintain consistency over such long period of time (about 100G in about 200GP) and then suddenly just lose it all?

If people would be just as trigger happy to get rid of Maurice as Patty was in scoring goals, I'm sure Laine would find his aim again. It is in his muscle memory after all.

For commenting about those 'Lemieux' comments, surprisingly Laine has been able to play and score some of his most Lemieuxishque goals and scoring situations this year. Also, most of Lemieux comparisons were related to his occasional, but superficial resemblances of his on ice attire, not exactly to his potential to become comparable player skills-wise. That is now forgotten from the comments ridiculing those already years old Lemieux comparisons.

Re Bold: I'm not so sure its coach Mos fault that laine "lost his aim" but if the narrative fits.

The Lemieux comparisons were because of similar "on ice attire"? What? They both wore hockey equipment and thats where the comparisons ended?

The rest of your post wall reads like a pick your own adventure book, bouncing around and difficult to follow. If I remember correctly you make cool and colorful graphs. Maybe you could make one detailing laines declining shooting % and goal scoring, bonus points if you include Maurices direct influence in the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad