GDT: What happened to good GDT conversation??

member 96824

Unfortunately it spills into every single thread.

Person 1:"Man, Lucic is really struggling"

Person 2:"No man, Lucic is the best ever!"

Person 3:"*quotes person two* No, we should trade lucic for a bag of popcorn:sarcasm:"

It makes it impossible to have an intelligent conversation about Boston Bruins hockey. Impossible.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Go to any GDT on this website....surprisingly (or not), no matter what your record is, most of the comments are similar.

GodTukka*

I'm done with GDT's tbh.

I don't mind discussing anything else on the board, but i drop out come game time. the threads are maddening.

Yeah, i point out the negatives too but i do not go "LOL GAME OVER" they moment they give up an opening goal it's more of a "sigh, again? try and bounce back"

It is frustrating that the team is off, or so to speak but the lunacy in the GDT's would be like they were getting kicked out of the NHL if they were to lose whatever games in question

Lighten the hell up

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i usually don't say much about the game, usually just commenting on what's on tv.

i think too many people here can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to every game. every play, every shot, every save, every goal is the end of the world. you can't watch sports like that, you have to let things unfold and see where they go. it'd be like posting "oh god again?!?!" every time the red sox threw a ball outside the strike zone.

just watch the games and enjoy them. i think everyone saw this week how precious little moments in life are. chill the **** out.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
If you guys want a good one I could be persuaded to make one for you guys, but it'd have to be for the playoffs as I'm busy until around then. Let me know if you guys are interested. Here's some of my old ones for the Sharks board.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1362515&highlight=

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1331523&highlight=

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1167707&highlight=

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1154681&highlight=

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1141935&highlight=

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
Ideas to make it better? Ya, bring back the good posters.

It's turned into naysayers versus apologists. It's like all the "fire clode" people vs the "clode apologists" etc. I totally get that people are frustrated and want to vent, but there's an overall lack of respect in the GDTs as well. It's far too easy to throw insults at each other and engage in flame wars.

Posts like "this is the dumbest thing I've read all day" have zero place on HF. It's hard to enjoy the game and keep up with all the crap that gets flung back and forth. We're adults here and should be able to handle a losing streak without acting like entitled children who had their nintendo broken.

This is literally why I almost never post here anymore. If I write something, I usually put some time into it to have a discussion. A discussion has been rare to be found these days.

I have a list of folks who made me want to post here back in the day. It's pretty much only when I see their names that I bother anymore. Sad but true.

If we want the quality posts around here we need to cut the garbage. And honestly, it might help for folks to start imposing self limits on posts daily. Read a bit more and think about what you're writing- it'll bring better talk and folks here. But that's jut my 2 cents.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
Yep, things sure have changes since the cup run on GDT's.
Not sure if it's the higher expectations placed on the team, or if it's due to a different crowd.
Could be neither, only my speculations.
I do recall a GDT during the cup run, I believe it was Game 3 of the Flyer series, good posters and then HF Boards crashed, that was a good one.
I stay out of GDT's due to the lag watching the games on GameCenter (well, not today!), can't say as I feel I am missing much. I do prefer supporting and cheering for the team, and if a player sucks then I look to them to get out of the funk they are in, rather than admonish them and hope they are banished.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
It isn't about being negative or complaining.

It is about only being negative and complaining.

For example, today one guy said the players on this team clearly don't care about the city because they were losing a hockey game.

Another guy literally can't wait to type "game over" the first time the Bruins trail in a game, whether it is one minute into the first period.

Not sure why you always seem to single me out of the bunch when there were a bunch of other people complaining too.

I know I can get pretty edgy quickly with the games, and it's been frustrating to watch the games lately. Honestly, I have no regrets about what I said earlier today. I said "there it is folks" right after they got that GAG. With the team and how they have been playing lately, it wasn't such a bad thing to presume at the time. Turned out I was right, no?

Not getting into specifics, but you don't think the people that bring nothing but snide and rude "one liner" comments to one another aren't as bad as the people who complain in the GDT's? If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to put me on ignore.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'm done with GDT's tbh.

I don't mind discussing anything else on the board, but i drop out come game time. the threads are maddening.

Yeah, i point out the negatives too but i do not go "LOL GAME OVER" they moment they give up an opening goal it's more of a "sigh, again? try and bounce back"

It is frustrating that the team is off, or so to speak but the lunacy in the GDT's would be like they were getting kicked out of the NHL if they were to lose whatever games in question

Lighten the hell up

Good thread WBC.

Problems just solving themselves.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I post what I see or my thoughts on something as they happen. It's a mixture of positive and negative.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
After the past week, I don't really give too much of a flying **** about hockey, but I was pretty disturbed by the GDT thread today, and lately they have been garbage....

These threads used to be a place where the game was talked about technically as it was going on... Used to be great...Now you have a bunch of 100% negative all the time no matter what people who do nothing but biatch, then you have the lollipop and gumdrop crew who do nothing but whine about the whiners and shoot down every attempt it seems to talk about how to correct a negative...

It's just become impossible to talk about the game....it's just becomes a bickering between the masses...last time it got this bad years ago, many of us started an AOL IM thing to talk rationally about what was going on....Thing is, many of the posters who used to talk during the game, good talk, have left the GDT's all together.... That stinks...

Maybe we can as a group come up with a way to make the GDT's more tolerable?

I've been noticing the same thing. Every time I check the GDT thread, all I see is people saying this team is pathetic and doesn't care, etc.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
This year I'm more negative because I cannot stand the style of play of the team. I find the Bruins nauseatingly boring and much like the 2009-2010 team that would go 40 minutes at 0-0 score. Most of the games this year I'll watch about half of and sometimes listen to the radio for the other half or just do something else.

Still, I've never really gotten in squabbles with other posters.

What makes it worse than 2009-10 is they have much more firepower. Its unfortunate two
star forwards decided to take a regular season off.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
I post what I see or my thoughts on something as they happen. It's a mixture of positive and negative.

Same here.

I am happy when they're winning and are actually playing a full 60 minute effort.

When they play like crap and don't even bother playing the 2nd and 3rd period or blow a late third period lead, then yes, they do deserve criticism.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I haven't read this entire thread, so pardon me if this has been expressed already...

I think there's a big difference between criticism and negativity - and I think things might improve somewhat if people could learn the difference and try to temper their posts accordingly.

We all can get frustrated and disappointed with a loss or if the team or certain players are playing poorly. But sometimes we "shoot from the hip" and it comes across as negativity, which in turn sets off other people who are trying to be more positive or balanced.

Example - the same feeling/thought expressed different ways:

Criticism - "If this team keeps playing with this lack of passion/finish/discipline we're one and done!"

Negativism: "This team is done!!"

Now the first statement isn't as inflammatory as the 2nd. Even if you're generally optimistic about the team, you may very well agree. Sure, IF they continue to play poorly, they'll fare poorly. But the absolutist negativism of the 2nd statement gets some people's hackles up.

I may feel the team can turn it around, but at least I'd be prone to agree with the criticism of the 1st statement, which at least doesn't get everyone's hackles up, and may even open up a reasonable conversation: "So, hey, why are they playing badly right now?" etc., which is more likely to result in a discussion of hockey and not a clash of temperaments (pessimism vs optimism).

It might not solve everything, but maybe it's somewhere to start.

This is Dr. Phil saying good night and god bless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad