GDT: What happened to good GDT conversation??

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Your title for this thread is completely misleading. Initially I thought "here we go", things so bad here fans complaining about all those great fans who take the time to put together a great GDT. Thankfully that`s not what this is about because being a fan who struggles to turn on his computer in the morning with my lack of technological skill, I`m grateful for those who do such a wonderful job.

Now, no argument on any other front. More and more this fan has had to

A- Use ignore more than ever
B- Take way more time away from these boards

problem is two fold:

In a GDT, (and it's becoming similar on live tweeting on twitter) you're taking your focus of what is actually happening to read and then respond to what is happening on HF. I stay out of GDT. My intention is to watch the game. Twitter has become annoying with live tweeting as well. I'll read back after a game and then think to myself "WTF was he/she watching?

There are some very good to great conversations in other threads that are both interesting and informative. The problem is that sometimes the actually topic gets so far away from what it is intended to be, that you don't know what the conversation is suppose to be anymore.

Good example is the last Soderberg thread. At one point it turned into a fire Julien thread. What one has to do with the other is beyond me, but sometimes there is a lot of sorting out to do.

I often get texts, emails, PM's from people here asking "what are you hearing about the Bruins?". I mean, there is talk everyday and most of it you have to try and figure out what is realistic and what is just rambling. I imagine that if every little rumor, every piece of hearsay was posted on here that it would be an unbearable place to visit. Not because you have to sort through what is possible and what is impossible, but because the topic of conversation would steer to far from what the actual topic is.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'd go as far as to say its not just the GDT's, rather than the whole board that's full of negativity, entitlement, and down right rudeness. And its infecting on what could be intelligent conversation. They feed off disagreement. Or they like feeling like they're above certain posters. That's why its unbareable to come on here. I can see why many people have left.

Its time people change it up. Because I'm getting sick of it.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Several points people have made really stand out to me.

1. If you're spending the entire game texting, tweeting and posting, you can't possibly be that engaged in watching.

I have the worst ADD in the world, and even I can't juggling that much. What's your priority? The game or communicating with the world? Moreover, this immediate communication can't possibly be of any real substance if you're also watching the game.

2. Many are impossibly negative. Perhaps the factors are a combination of age, entitlement, expectations and disappointment.

I had to stop watching Patriots games with my wife for half a season, because every time Brady made a poor play, she'd scream expletives about how bad a player he is. I think he's proven himself to be a pretty good player, myself, even if the team hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade.

Really, after 39 years of disappointment, I am still pinching myself to see if 2011 actually occurred. I see all the evidence, but I almost still can't believe the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Maybe if you're younger than me (45), it's harder to appreciate how good we've got it right now.

3. People are rude and overly harsh, especially towards certain players.

This is just a microcosm of the boards, which are just a microcosm of the modern world. We live in a disposable society. When we are tired of something or it stops performing at a previous level, we just toss it into a landfill. Why fix it, when you can just replace it? Hockey players aren't people, they're disposable entertainment. Others on the boards aren't people, they're anonymous voices in cyberspace.

People fail to grasp a bigger picture, when all they can focus on is the immediate. Pandolfo doesn't produce the way Ryder did, therefore he becomes "Pandawful." Lucic's statistics don't warrant his high salary, therefore he contributes "nothing" to the team.

As others have mentioned, players and their families read these boards. I know many of you think their high salaries means open season on them, but do try to remember that being rich doesn't mean you don't have human emotions.

4. The quality of discussion has dropped measurably in the past X years.

I teach high school juniors. Believe me, the qualities of critical thinking, self reflection, and articulate communication have dropped measurably in my 12 years. If the subject taught has a standardized test - that's what they're being taught to. In the US, we're "leaving no child behind" by aiming for the lowest common denominator. Clearly, this has broader ramifications we can point to right here on these boards.

5. Everyone does this, except me.

Uh huh.:sarcasm:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Your title for this thread is completely misleading. Initially I thought "here we go", things so bad here fans complaining about all those great fans who take the time to put together a great GDT. Thankfully that`s not what this is about because being a fan who struggles to turn on his computer in the morning with my lack of technological skill, I`m grateful for those who do such a wonderful job.

Now, no argument on any other front. More and more this fan has had to

A- Use ignore more than ever
B- Take way more time away from these boards

A disturbing and unfortunately increasing trend here, and that`s absolutely horrifically weak posts, offering absolutely nothing close to rational and concrete ideas/suggestions and respectful opinions. What I see/read more of is brilliance like "this team is s***" or "**** this team"

Congrats fans, lovely and productive conversation, almost Mensa worthy. I have made more of my share of suggestions/opinions where I look back and say "not my finest work" however, what I TRY to make sure I do is look at the other side of things from other fans. Just because I don`t or won`t agree with someone, doesn`t mean I can`t try and respect their opinions but this place and the quality of posts is deteriorating at a truly disappointing rate.

Some absolutely fantastic posters, and one`s who have forgotten more than what half here know about this game don`t post as often, and when they do, you can read the frustrations on the screen.

Same BS every season, nearing the end, there`s a bunch of posters, not always new to the boards (which means nothing, I`ve read new board members with great thoughts), they pop their head out of their parents basement to offer us their two cents and it`s, well, about as entertaining as watching Torts scream at his troops or doing his mouth-breather routine in front of a TV camera post game.

I love this team, always will, but I had to step away from watching my beloved Boston Bruins on TV for a few games this year as it`s been a frustrating one and suddenly I was asking myself "isn`t there a more productive way that I can spend 2-3 hours of my time rather than watch mediocrity" BUT, doesn`t mean I don`t love my team and I`ll always support them.

Been an incredibly tough year, very inconsistent, average at best play from far too many and it`s tough to stomach, now this team`s lost 4 in a row, heading into the playoffs, doesn`t leave me oozing with confidence but......playoffs are a as predictable as draft picks, no rhyme or reason as to why teams stacked on paper lose to inferior one`s, good/bad bounce here, great save there, timely goal, ya never know.

I do know one thing, for those upset with this team, there are words in the english dictionary that are out there in which you could use to string together far more intelligent opinions than "**** this team", then exclaim to those on the board that your a "fan".

And for all this inconsistent play, I look at the standings on April 21st, and where do I see this team??? In 5th bloody place in the NHL. Why, in a year when they have played nowhere near their expectations are they in this spot??? Well, maybe, just maybe, in a shortened season, things like this happen, and this Boston Bruin team is about the furthest from the only team who has, all season struggled to put a consistent game together.

How entitled have I become I need to ask myself??? The answer, look at the standings, 5th place team, yes playing below expectations and I sit here and complain about them?? Maybe I need to rethink my attitude at times.

I don`t question this teams heart, I don`t question their desire to win, and for me, I need to ask myself, regardless that I get paid Minimum Wage, " do I bring the A game each and every day" Easy answer, nope

Sit back, hands off the keyboards fans if you have nothing productive to say. That doesn`t mean don`t criticize when warranted, just think about it before posting. Advice from a fan who`s done it himself

Go Bruins:yo:

/Thread

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've always wondered:

With so many people posting in the GDT and so many posts in a GDT, how many people are actually watching the game?

30,000+ views in the GDT yesterday and it makes me wonder. (200 views per minute)

Case in point: I've never seen so many contradicting opinions in Carl Soderberg's game yesterday. I question if some actually watched the game.

Soderberg was awsome....

...wait, I mean he wasn`t good

...no, no, change that, he was great

..again, I apologize, he was barely noticeable

come to think of it, "this team sucks":sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
problem is two fold:

In a GDT, (and it's becoming similar on live tweeting on twitter) you're taking your focus of what is actually happening to read and then respond to what is happening on HF. I stay out of GDT. My intention is to watch the game. Twitter has become annoying with live tweeting as well. I'll read back after a game and then think to myself "WTF was he/she watching?

There are some very good to great conversations in other threads that are both interesting and informative. The problem is that sometimes the actually topic gets so far away from what it is intended to be, that you don't know what the conversation is suppose to be anymore.

Good example is the last Soderberg thread. At one point it turned into a fire Julien thread. What one has to do with the other is beyond me, but sometimes there is a lot of sorting out to do.

I often get texts, emails, PM's from people here asking "what are you hearing about the Bruins?". I mean, there is talk everyday and most of it you have to try and figure out what is realistic and what is just rambling. I imagine that if every little rumor, every piece of hearsay was posted on here that it would be an unbearable place to visit. Not because you have to sort through what is possible and what is impossible, but because the topic of conversation would steer to far from what the actual topic is.

I hear that, in the past few weeks, been spending far more time on many other boards THEN coming here, less pressure on the head;)

One fan yesterday stated something like "if this team can`t beat the Pens with all those bodies out, they are done" to paraphrase.

Apparently wasn`t aware that the Pens have gone 8-2 in their last 10:)

PoweredByRICE

Hates your team
May 7, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Everyone has said what I'm thinking..but I usually use the GDT for updates when I'm working rather then scorecenter (espn) because it is behind the action and does not have any sort of opinion (obviously) on what is going on.

So I definitely understand some of the frustration with the over the top negativity. I was cutting a tree at camp yesterday and used the GDT exclusively between cutting to check out what was going on during the game. I stopped reading. Insane negativity. I don't mind constructive negativity...but the **** like "it's over" when there is 10 minutes left in the game down by 2 pisses me off beyond belief.

Also, it isn't hard to post short responses and watch the game at the same time. I usually do it on breaks or timeouts. So I disagree with the notion you can't watch and post at the same time..you can't watch and post meaningful stuff but small things like "nice shot".."good PP"...etc I don't think is bad at all.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think there is a small minority of posters who get their jollies from what amounts to trolling in a less-obvious way than say a Habs fan outright coming on the board and saying incendiary things. There are a few people on here who clearly have no knowledge of the Bruins before the last couple seasons, ONLY post negative things, and tend to needle others just to get a reaction. Not sure if they are just bored human beings or really that miserable in life. In any case, hopefully that minority of people will move on in time and leave it to the adults to talk hockey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think there is a small minority of posters who get their jollies from what amounts to trolling in a less-obvious way than say a Habs fan outright coming on the board and saying incendiary things. There are a few people on here who clearly have no knowledge of the Bruins before the last couple seasons, ONLY post negative things, and tend to needle others just to get a reaction. Not sure if they are just bored human beings or really that miserable in life. In any case, hopefully that minority of people will move on in time and leave it to the adults to talk hockey.

The number of "trollers" has increased at an alarming rate this year far more than in the past, they become harder to ignore the more they discourage solid posters from still making appearances here

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Game Day Threads are the worst.

I avoid them like the plague. However, once or twice a year, if you want to get a bead on who to ignore moving forward, just come to a GDT.

The predictability factor is putrefying -- with both the manic fans, and the unrealistic flock of zombie worshippers.

Both are boring and offer nothing but the same -- every time.

Yawn

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Sorry for my overreaction. I am glad people appreciate just how much work goes into them and also want to fix them to be what they used to be.

I will say, I am keeping mine minimal for the rest of the season and playoffs.

:)

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Never understood the draw of the GDT and posting while the game is going on.. tried it a few times.. got distracted. I do enjoy the non-Bruins playoff ones.

But sorry to hear some great posters on here are not enjoying them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What is even stranger is to be at the game and there are people texting all throughout the game and not even watching. Seems silly to pay the $$ for tickets (plus transportation to the game) and then not even watch.

I sometimes will check in here between periods but can't take my eyes off the game while they are playing.

Oh well. It is much different these days then when I first started following hockey.

Right Wally ?

Much, much different for sure. This technology and social media was science fiction.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
1.) As SeaBass noted above critical thinking skills, due to testing but also a wide range of reasons, have plummeted. I teach English at a community college part time and the hardest thing for them is when we do critical thinking essays. People don't know how to discuss something without being blinded by their emotions. They have never been shown how, or even given a reason to for that matter. Getting people to thoughtfully question their emotional reactions is like trying to get rabid sports fans to stop and think about what's happening in the heat of the moment of the game. Some take to it, some do have experience doing it, but for the masses, it is insanely difficult.

2.) I really don't mean to be cynical about it, but isn't that the nature of being a die hard sports fan? Especially a Boston sports fan, or a New York or Philly sports fan? Places with serious, long time fan bases. You're kind of an *******, right? I don't totally believe that, but there's some kind of truth to it. Well, I mean, especially during games.

(This is not my ideal way to experience a game. I would LOVE to sit next to a whole bunch of you during a game and pick your brains about what was happening, talk constructively and have a good debate here and there, but that's another story.)

3.) I always think about GDTs as acting as an internet-based in-game fan experience. We can't be at the game but at least as fans we can get together and gripe and feel like **** when they look like **** and get goofy when they "do things right." It would seem that the board is overrun by negativity, etc., but maybe the people who want to improve it need to Mark Recchi their way into the mix and start modeling great GDT behavior. Or maybe mods experiment with rapid fire thread ejection?

4.) People need better thread awareness. Sometimes subject matter overlaps, but the question should always be "how can I further this topic?" Or, "how can I improve the situation here?"

5.) Maybe as a sanity making compliment to the madness of GDTs, we need great post-game analysis threads for those of us who want great debate and in-depth discussion - about the games. The post game analysis threads should have very specific guidelines/rules. Like somebody said earlier, you need to say more than 140 characters. Maybe you need to actively quote/question another poster. I don't know how mod life works but maybe you have an active mod in the GDT helping shape things?

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
What is even stranger is to be at the game and there are people texting all throughout the game and not even watching. Seems silly to pay the $$ for tickets (plus transportation to the game) and then not even watch.

I sometimes will check in here between periods but can't take my eyes off the game while they are playing.

Oh well. It is much different these days then when I first started following hockey.

Right Wally ?

could not agree more. I am actually moving my seats next season due to the people around me. the sth's sell all of their tickets to every game. leaves me with absolute idiots around me and no to that even knows what hockey is.

the bruins are boston's pink hat team at the moment it appears.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well, I get your point, sort of, but if you don't want to hear the bad, maybe you could just make a "happy positive GDT" and a "negative nancy GDT" and just allow posters to choose?

Yuh. It's annoying at times but the GDT theads reflect the games as they're being played. When we're playing well, it's fine. When we go through March at about .500 and so far in April we're well below that, concerned fans become irritated.

I love the way people here seem to think it's ok to denigrate and characterize all those with negative things to say as bandwagoners, or fake fans, or words to that effect.

Bickering and ad hominem poster on poster attacks, I agree, should be kept to a minimm, but those of us who feel this team has real problems, and want to vent/complain/criticize/advise on the GDTs should be allowed to do so IMO, even though some people may find it annoying.

With the exception of one or two posters, I don't think anybody has issues with constructive, well-thought out criticism (I know I don't). It's the constant this guy sucks, fire Clode, this team is one and done...with no supporting evidence that bug the crap out of me. The hilarious part is that the worst offenders are typically reactionary bi-polar posters that change their opinions like socks when the team is doing well. I like to think that I am flexible enough to listen to someone else's opinion and be influenced by it if it makes sense. As I get older, I find that I just have less tolerance for stupidity.

Personally, I think that the current team can find the extra gear for the playoffs because they have been there before. I believe that the primary issue has been the injuries and additions causing a constant flux in the lineup, that has not allowed the lines to mesh. Look at the Pens, they have had key guys out, but it has been for longer periods, so the rest of the players know their roles. With the B's it's been different guys every couple of weeks.

Maybe I am being too optimistic? We will see.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Never understood the draw of the GDT and posting while the game is going on.. tried it a few times.. got distracted. I do enjoy the non-Bruins playoff ones.

But sorry to hear some great posters on here are not enjoying them.

Same. Maybe during a commercial or something, but its truely hard to put Ina quality post during the game.

I occasionally check intermissions as well, but rarely post until after the game is over.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
1.) As SeaBass noted above critical thinking skills, due to testing but also a wide range of reasons, have plummeted. I teach English at a community college part time and the hardest thing for them is when we do critical thinking essays. People don't know how to discuss something without being blinded by their emotions. They have never been shown how, or even given a reason to for that matter. Getting people to thoughtfully question their emotional reactions is like trying to get rabid sports fans to stop and think about what's happening in the heat of the moment of the game. Some take to it, some do have experience doing it, but for the masses, it is insanely difficult.

2.) I really don't mean to be cynical about it, but isn't that the nature of being a die hard sports fan? Especially a Boston sports fan, or a New York or Philly sports fan? Places with serious, long time fan bases. You're kind of an *******, right? I don't totally believe that, but there's some kind of truth to it. Well, I mean, especially during games.

(This is not my ideal way to experience a game. I would LOVE to sit next to a whole bunch of you during a game and pick your brains about what was happening, talk constructively and have a good debate here and there, but that's another story.)

3.) I always think about GDTs as acting as an internet-based in-game fan experience. We can't be at the game but at least as fans we can get together and gripe and feel like **** when they look like **** and get goofy when they "do things right." It would seem that the board is overrun by negativity, etc., but maybe the people who want to improve it need to Mark Recchi their way into the mix and start modeling great GDT behavior. Or maybe mods experiment with rapid fire thread ejection?

4.) People need better thread awareness. Sometimes subject matter overlaps, but the question should always be "how can I further this topic?" Or, "how can I improve the situation here?"

5.) Maybe as a sanity making compliment to the madness of GDTs, we need great post-game analysis threads for those of us who want great debate and in-depth discussion - about the games. The post game analysis threads should have very specific guidelines/rules. Like somebody said earlier, you need to say more than 140 characters. Maybe you need to actively quote/question another poster. I don't know how mod life works but maybe you have an active mod in the GDT helping shape things?

Very simple solution to all posting issues.

Make people post under their real names only. Problem permanently solved.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
Over reaction on this board has been an issue since i've been here, and lurked here which was much more before my posting date.

The over reactors are just as bad as the kool aid drinkers. I find myself down the middle, or at least try to be there. Some people just need to stop, wait a minute, then post, before they get trigger finder on the mouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad