GDT: What happened to good GDT conversation??

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
After the past week, I don't really give too much of a flying **** about hockey, but I was pretty disturbed by the GDT thread today, and lately they have been garbage....

These threads used to be a place where the game was talked about technically as it was going on... Used to be great...Now you have a bunch of 100% negative all the time no matter what people who do nothing but biatch, then you have the lollipop and gumdrop crew who do nothing but whine about the whiners and shoot down every attempt it seems to talk about how to correct a negative...

It's just become impossible to talk about the game....it's just becomes a bickering between the masses...last time it got this bad years ago, many of us started an AOL IM thing to talk rationally about what was going on....Thing is, many of the posters who used to talk during the game, good talk, have left the GDT's all together.... That stinks...

Maybe we can as a group come up with a way to make the GDT's more tolerable?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Unfortunately, this board overreacts a little bit when we don't go undefeated for an entire month... Today was a frustrating game, but I agree, it's getting increasing frustrating with all the negativity.

I'd say save the negativity for the PGT, but that's easier said than done. The "this team is done/this game is over/we're going nowhere in the playoffs/x sucks" and etc. is really irritating when there's another period or two to go. There's nothing wrong with "Oh that was a bad turnover by x, he needs to do y better", but the hopelessness and rashness of some posts is definitely annoying.

Save the bickering and fights for PMs. No need at all for those.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
I can liberally threadban people who are only there to poke the other posters or further the discussions they are having in other threads. Maybe that's what I will do tomorrow.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
It's like being in there w/ a bunch of habs fans sometimes.

No thanks.

Look at the some of the mentality in the manhunt thread. "They're taking too long, he got away, the police are stupid, this is embarrassing, wah wah wah". That was life and death, hockey is just a game. I guess my expectations of intelligently discussing a game, especially a thinking man's game, hit an all time low after that experience.

The noise has driven many of the worthwhile reads away.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ideas to make it better? Ya, bring back the good posters.

It's turned into naysayers versus apologists. It's like all the "fire clode" people vs the "clode apologists" etc. I totally get that people are frustrated and want to vent, but there's an overall lack of respect in the GDTs as well. It's far too easy to throw insults at each other and engage in flame wars.

Posts like "this is the dumbest thing I've read all day" have zero place on HF. It's hard to enjoy the game and keep up with all the crap that gets flung back and forth. We're adults here and should be able to handle a losing streak without acting like entitled children who had their nintendo broken.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I can liberally threadban people who are only there to poke the other posters or further the discussions they are having in other threads. Maybe that's what I will do tomorrow.

No..you should enjoy the game. You give your time, for free to make this place enjoyable. I appreciate it my friend, but you need to be able to watch the game, not babysit. Nothing more you can do ... it's up to the posters to make it better if they want.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Unfortunately, this board overreacts a little bit when we don't go undefeated for an entire month... Today was a frustrating game, but I agree, it's getting increasing frustrating with all the negativity.

I'd say save the negativity for the PGT, but that's easier said than done. The "this team is done/this game is over/we're going nowhere in the playoffs/x sucks" and etc. is really irritating when there's another period or two to go. There's nothing wrong with "Oh that was a bad turnover by x, he needs to do y better", but the hopelessness and rashness of some posts is definitely annoying.

Save the bickering and fights for PMs. No need at all for those.

Well, I get your point, sort of, but if you don't want to hear the bad, maybe you could just make a "happy positive GDT" and a "negative nancy GDT" and just allow posters to choose?

Yuh. It's annoying at times but the GDT theads reflect the games as they're being played. When we're playing well, it's fine. When we go through March at about .500 and so far in April we're well below that, concerned fans become irritated.

I love the way people here seem to think it's ok to denigrate and characterize all those with negative things to say as bandwagoners, or fake fans, or words to that effect.

Bickering and ad hominem poster on poster attacks, I agree, should be kept to a minimm, but those of us who feel this team has real problems, and want to vent/complain/criticize/advise on the GDTs should be allowed to do so IMO, even though some people may find it annoying.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
This year I'm more negative because I cannot stand the style of play of the team. I find the Bruins nauseatingly boring and much like the 2009-2010 team that would go 40 minutes at 0-0 score. Most of the games this year I'll watch about half of and sometimes listen to the radio for the other half or just do something else.

Still, I've never really gotten in squabbles with other posters.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
You have just described me...I get in "moods" and my backup easily so I 'm not trying to blame anyone,,,just would like it to be more about hockey and less about "warring nations" :laugh:

For me it's gotten to the point where I really have to sift through the threads to find valid points or counter points.

The "I'm right, you're wrong" argument has gotten out of hand.

IMO the mods here do a damn fine job and it certainly isn't easy. I know in reading the manhunt thread there were many of the longtime LF in there who just ended up giving up.

and i don't often go in to the GDT just because it's not been great.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like to read through the GDT when I get home from the games but I couldn't get through it today.

I know the B's need to improve and are not playing as well as I know they can but all of the trade the team, fire Claude etc. gets old fast.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Don't know if its possible, but maybe we could increase the minimum length of posts in GDTs? It seems like most of the annoying chatter is quick and aimless. If people were required to type 50 or 100 characters to post something maybe they'd put a little more thought or effort into it.

At the very least it would occupy more of the annoying posters time and keep them from spamming the threads every 30 seconds- and it'd be easier to scan posts in the thread for worthwhile contributions.

Schalkenullvier*

It's pretty normal. A big fanbase (like the Bruins') will have a bipolar reaction to everything. There's a german saying: "Himmelhoch jauchzend, zu Tode betrübt" wich basically, literally translates is Skyhigh rejoicing / despairing to death. You gotta be able to look past that. But I can't blame people for being disappointed.

Schalkenullvier*

Don't know if its possible, but maybe we could increase the minimum length of posts in GDTs? It seems like most of the annoying chatter is quick and aimless. If people were required to type 50 or 100 characters to post something maybe they'd put a little more thought or effort into it.

At the very least it would occupy more of the annoying posters time and keep them from spamming the threads every 30 seconds- and it'd be easier to scan posts in the thread for worthwhile contributions.

the GDT's aren't there for wortwhile posts though.. they exist in order to capture the emotions of the game.

MaCam

Oct 5, 2005
Eastern Mass
This year I'm more negative because I cannot stand the style of play of the team. I find the Bruins nauseatingly boring and much like the 2009-2010 team that would go 40 minutes at 0-0 score. Most of the games this year I'll watch about half of and sometimes listen to the radio for the other half or just do something else.

Still, I've never really gotten in squabbles with other posters.

This is exactly how I've felt this year. Like you, it just seems to me like our style of play is boring me to death more so than previous years. This is also probably due to the fact that we've had very few complete 60 min efforts this season with some of our players floating and/or seemingly losing interest at times.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
After the past week, I don't really give too much of a flying **** about hockey, but I was pretty disturbed by the GDT thread today, and lately they have been garbage....

These threads used to be a place where the game was talked about technically as it was going on... Used to be great...Now you have a bunch of 100% negative all the time no matter what people who do nothing but biatch, then you have the lollipop and gumdrop crew who do nothing but whine about the whiners and shoot down every attempt it seems to talk about how to correct a negative...

It's just become impossible to talk about the game....it's just becomes a bickering between the masses...last time it got this bad years ago, many of us started an AOL IM thing to talk rationally about what was going on....Thing is, many of the posters who used to talk during the game, good talk, have left the GDT's all together.... That stinks...

that 9-0 beatdown of Florida last December with Marchand hat trick, and Pouliot goal for the ages I thought was somewhat positive; in fact it may have even been 50/50 so what is your problem

Topshelf88

Jul 27, 2008
GDT's describe what this board has become in a nutshell. Used to be great for discussion. Then they won the Cup and people use it as a crutch when they play bad. They fight with people who call the team out for not playing well. Same thing every game.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

Lou, here is my two cents....

Some people point out that the Bruins arent playing well.....a slew of people have a hissy fit and say waaa waa waaa dont watch then.

Then there are a group that are negative and are full of nonsense...nothing to offer.

But the real issue is the group of people who cant stand the thought of the Bruins being criticized and worse yet...their favorite players.

Sad, but true.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
that 9-0 beatdown of Florida last December with Marchand hat trick, and Pouliot goal for the ages I thought was somewhat positive; in fact it may have even been 50/50 so what is your problem

You seem to be claiming that Bruins fans aren't happy unless everything is going their way and I guess you're right.

There are a lot of other issues for me with regard to the style of play.

To me sitting back in the neutral zone and trying to get a turnover is just awful hockey to watch. It means that unless the Bruins get completely out of sync with "the system" fans will not see end to end play and the number of real good scoring chances for both teams will be very low in the game.

Combine that with the effectiveness of all goalies in today's NHL and the games tend to be really boring.

I want to see 3 on 2's, 2 on 1's, and nice passing plays. I do not want to see game after game of play on the perimeter of the offensive zone for both teams because all the players on the defensive team sit in front of the goal which is additionally protected by the 6-4 heavily padded goalie. And when that happens, the goals just become a matter of a lucky bounce/deflection. Of course there has always been that aspect of hockey with luck, but when games have a total of 3 or 4 goals it's really significant. It's not quite back to the days of the Devils getting a 1-0 lead and sitting on that for the whole game...but today's NHL isn't pretty to watch either.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It isn't about being negative or complaining.

It is about only being negative and complaining.

For example, today one guy said the players on this team clearly don't care about the city because they were losing a hockey game.

Another guy literally can't wait to type "game over" the first time the Bruins trail in a game, whether it is one minute into the first period.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
It isn't about being negative or complaining.

It is about only being negative and complaining.

For example, today one guy said the players on this team clearly don't care about the city because they were losing a hockey game.

Another guy literally can't wait to type "game over" the first time the Bruins trail in a game, whether it is one minute into the first period.

The first one is really offensive.

The second one I find kind of funny. With the Bruins offense being so bad it does feel like as soon as they fall behind the game is over. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad