GDT: What happened to good GDT conversation??

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Did you really have to quote that entire, very long post to say nothing? Since we're talking about improving threads, doing that is pretty much spam.

If you have a one word reply, just be like "ODAAT: /Thread"

I deliberately quoted the entire post to bump it to the next page, because it deserved it.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
The GDT are pretty much just for comedy at this point.

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP was "When were the GDT's good?". It feels like it has been a long time since they were.

Things have really changed ever since the Bruins became a popular/winning team again.

For me personally, the best times (content wise) on this board was back in the first few years after the lockout. At least that is when I found we had the best hockey discussion even despite how poor the team was at the time. There were actual major issues with the team to discuss rather than now where people just look to nitpick at anything negative they can even despite there being so much more to be positive about.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I used to post frequently in GDTs but I don't anymore, especially while the game is going on and for the reasons others have listed.

I love the Bruins and I desperately want them to do well. I know they can't win every game but as long as they are making a sincere effort I can handle it when they don't.

I just can't tolerate the sniping, backbiting and general nastiness that people display when things aren't going well anymore. I just don't want to deal with it.

du5566*

6 pages of people basically saying the same thing, that they avoid GDT because of the negativity and lack of respect. Apparently there are a ton of people here that are always positive and respectful so I don't really know what the problem is unless people are being hypocritical. So why don’t people just ignore the posters whom people feel are disrespectful and overly negative.

DK46

Jun 21, 2012
Hanwell, NB
I don't post very often but do read through most threads but the GDT regardless of whether it is positive or negative holds only so much value for me. Simply because most posts are reactionary to the game itself with sprinkles of insight.

As a lurker, the negativity is out of frustration. The Bruins are a good team and it feels like they are wasting that window of opportunity to win it again fade away. That alone can set people off especially after a 39 year wait. We want another cup but we have the easy job of watching. The players are the ones who do all the real work, take the criticism and feel the pressure.

Either way I can see how the mindset of the boards (right or wrong) drive people away.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
6 pages of people basically saying the same thing, that they avoid GDT because of the negativity and lack of respect. Apparently there are a ton of people here that are always positive and respectful so I don't really know what the problem is unless people are being hypocritical. So why don’t people just ignore the posters whom people feel are disrespectful and overly negative.

It's not simply negativity. It's the negativity with nothing to back it up and nothing to debate.

"This team sucks"
"One and done"
"Fire clode he's ruining them"

They get posted over and over again, but there's hardly ever any discussion. And then if someone responds in a positive way, they get called out for not being able to find faults with the team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Why don't the posters that are overly negative, disrespectful, and bring nothing to the table, start raising their game to an acceptable level, instead of everyone having to avoid them?

It's hilarious, they constantly call out the players for not being on their A game, but apparently they feel it's ok to suck as posters :laugh:

MaidrinRua

Dec 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Speaking of negative, where's DancesWithBeavers been? I'm surprised he hasn't been around to vent his spleen on this team full of "gawyucks". :laugh:

And was the term "gawyuck" ever defined? I never noticed he stopped posting...

Anyways, I pretty much lurk, myself. Mostly because I feel what I do have to say gets said for me by at least one other poster, and it feels redundant. So take what I think with a grain of salt, but I think at this time of year, stuff gets more heated than normal.

I love reading this board because, whether I agree or disagree, there are a lot of really knowlegable people here. But I have seen less of them of late in the GDT, so I tend not to look through them as much as I did. While some seem negative for the sake of negativity, I think some of it may be due to the fact that negativity breeds negativity. Even when good, albeit negative, points are made, it comes off more reactionary, even if it is, in fact, thoughtful (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, it does seem a little over the top. We made the playoffs, but we have such high expectations for our team. I do think it's sad when a poster from an opposing team's board has better things to say about how the B's play then much of the board. Perspective can be helpful in these trying times. :shakehead

But this, too, I hope, will pass. We all love the Bruins, just in different ways, I guess. :dunno:

Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Remember there are people from all walks of life here that post. Different races, classes, from the very young fans to the old school fans, even time zones. :) We have to try and keep an open mind that this world is constantly changing. And as we age we also change, some more than others.. All I am trying to say is that everyone has their own opinion, ideas etc. And its important that we remember that, specially here in a forum. Yes, sometimes those opinions are out right stupid or ridiculous, but what the heck Live and Let live.

Were all here to support our Boston Bruins. that is all that matters. Oh and remember if none of this means anything, you can always count on that ignore button, and BAM, you won't have to read that particular person's post's or threads any longer. :)

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Remember there are people from all walks of life here that post. Different races, classes, from the very young fans to the old school fans, even time zones. :) We have to try and keep an open mind that this world is constantly changing. And as we age we also change, some more than others.. All I am trying to say is that everyone has their own opinion, ideas etc. And its important that we remember that, specially here in a forum. Yes, sometimes those opinions are out right stupid or ridiculous, but what the heck Live and Let live.

Were all here to support our Boston Bruins. that is all that matters. Oh and remember if none of this means anything, you can always count on that ignore button, and BAM, you won't have to read that particular person's post's or threads any longer. :)

Great post! I don't understand all the complaining over people posting their opinion...

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
It's not simply negativity. It's the negativity with nothing to back it up and nothing to debate.

"This team sucks"
"One and done"
"Fire clode he's ruining them"

They get posted over and over again, but there's hardly ever any discussion. And then if someone responds in a positive way, they get called out for not being able to find faults with the team.

Or even better is when someone throws out total misinformation, they're politely corrected, then insist they're still right because they know what people are really thinking.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
If you agree with his post, did you miss the part about supporting the team? Support doesn't mean blindly following, but it also doesn't mean constant inane comments either.

Sure did...

We have all types of fans, both young and old, long timers and bandwagon jumpers. They all "support"the team in their own unique way... I personally think it's pretty cool that the B's have
a great following again. I haven't seen this many people interested in the Bruins since the early
70's. So some of them post stupid comments... So do some of the fans who have been following
them for decades!

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I'm going to say something quite boring (so what's new, you're no doubt thinking).

The GDTs will improve, and this thread will not have been in vain, if we each do a little bit to pitch in.

So...

To those who criticize players: go for it, criticize and bemoan their performance to your heart's content, but just make the effort to think twice before calling them "garbage" or other dehumanizing names, or attacking their basic character as human beings or concerned citizens.

To those who tend towards negative assessments of the team's performance: as for the above, go for it, criticize, bemoan, and exorcise your bile-filled despair as much as you like.....but! every once in a while (it does not have to be frequent), if the team shows some good hockey for a period or so: recognize it. That single recognition, even once in a blue moon, will lend so much more weight to your more disgust-and-doom filled pronouncements. We will all think:'wow man, the integrity!'

To those who tend to defend players (or the team as a whole) from other posters' critical comments: cool. The public defender has a role in society as well as in our board. Wear your champion-of-the-maligned cape proudly. Just remember: your defense will be stronger to the extent that it is specific, i.e. to the extent that it provides specific counter-arguments, with evidentiary support, to the critic's charges. Your defense is not strengthened by telling the critic that they are a spoiled fan, or that they should go root for another team.

To those who have given up on GDTs because they're not as good as in the good old days: c'mon now. Don't be like that. We need you and want you. Come back! Join the imperfect and motley crew, and try not to let the worst of it get to you.

To those who post long, tedious posts with presumptuous recommendations for the mild, incremental reform of GDTs, (whilst themselves only occasionally posting in GDTs): I don't know what to say. For you there is no hope.

Last edited:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
It isn't about being negative or complaining.

It is about only being negative and complaining.

For example, today one guy said the players on this team clearly don't care about the city because they were losing a hockey game.

Another guy literally can't wait to type "game over" the first time the Bruins trail in a game, whether it is one minute into the first period.

Let's face it, most of us have been guilty at one time or another of posting negative comments towards the Bruins, and even to other posters as well, but I think it's important for everyone to TRY to show some respect when doing so.

We are all Bruins fans, and we all want the best for our team, so let’s show some class when cheering on the B’s to another Cup, and TRY to keep the bickering and name calling to a minimum.

I personally have no problem with 'constructive criticism' towards anyone as long as it's fair and not demeaning or degrading. What gets me upset is when I do offer constructive criticism toward a player or coach etc., and another poster calls me a hater…..that really ticks me off.

So let’s get our **** together, and TRY to have some fun on these threads without unnecessary nastiness.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I actually don't mind the GDT insanity as much, you are watching/posting during the game and mood based reactionary and silly posts are always going to be made in such an environment.

What bothers me is when it leaves the GDT like it has and the whole board is non-stop *****ing about a team with 59 points in 44 games that has won a Cup as recently as 2 years ago and become one of the elite run franchises in the NHL. I don't think many people on this board realize how good the Bruins and their fans have it right now.

Then as Bruwinz pointed out, you've got the other side of the fan base that absolutely refuses to objectively criticize anyone at any time. Only place I differ from him is the ones who bother me more are the ones who do the non stop *****ing because it's a lot more reasonable to be a homer about the Bruins than a whine about everything type of person considering the state of the franchise. I'd also say the ***** about everything crowd VASTLY outweighs the group of blind homers. This despite the fact the franchise has given the fans a lot more reason to be homers than to be whiny, entitled *****es over the last several years.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
I rarely post in GDTs during games, but sometimes read through them during commercials, replays, breaks in action (e.g. icing calls or when they're fixing the boards or something) and it amazes me how little conversation there actually is. It's normally just people posting one sentence posts after another about something that just happened in the game, and normally just a "Woo hoo, Player Name" after a goal, or a "WTF, Player Name?" after a bad hit/play. Even at it's best, the GDT isn't really built for good posts or conversations, unless someone is willing to ignore large parts of the game to construct a good post.

So in general it's just too reactionary of posting for me - one that sticks out in my mind is someone calling Claude an idiot for having Seguin out there with 2/3 of the 4th line. Mind you, it was because of an incomplete line change & Seguin just hadn't had the chance to swap out, but instead of giving it the 15 seconds that it would take for Seguin to skate off, the poster had to jump on and complain about a perceived bad decision and to call the coach an idiot.

I'll take people on their word if the GDT conversations have declined in recent years, I'm just not sure how great they ever could have been ... during the actual games, most people whose posts I most prefer to read are watching the game, not talking about it real time. I'd rather read a thought-out post with substance than a hundred posts that have 5 words each.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
maybe i need more coffee this morning, and for the record I agree in principle, however, my feeling is that the people you want to read this thread to 'up their game' won't be reading this thread.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
Northeast
I'll take people on their word if the GDT conversations have declined in recent years, I'm just not sure how great they ever could have been ... during the actual games, most people whose posts I most prefer to read are watching the game, not talking about it real time. I'd rather read a thought-out post with substance than a hundred posts that have 5 words each.

That's a good point. The GDTs aren't a place for the most elaborate discussion. But what does happen is people get worked up over other people's remarks, make some snide/derogatory comment abotu that person ("don't you watch the games? :laugh:") and then the bickering begins. That bickering would usually be better formed as a full discussion in a separate thread, IMO. And many of the GDT regulars know how to bait one another or call out specific posters...so at its worst, its quite bad.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
maybe i need more coffee this morning, and for the record I agree in principle, however, my feeling is that the people you want to read this thread to 'up their game' won't be reading this thread.

I feel like there is a group of posters that literally only post in the GDTs and never have anything positive/constructive to say. Most of the people who post in all the other threads have meaningful discussions and add content to this board. But for some reason the GDT just really brings them out of the woodwork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->