What does your Rebuild Roster look like in 3 years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You’re the one cherry picking and comparing 4 years of drafting with 6 years of drafting. That is not the same sample size of comparison. Of course if you include the 2007 draft, it doesn’t fall with your narrative.

It’s the same sample size and measures each team equally. Yes the years are cherry picked.. once again though.. it’s to show how bad the 2008-2011 draft years were for us. Not sure why you don’t understand or acknowledge that?

But I did also show you the last 10 years and you are still not happy. Did you have time to cherry pick your own years yet? And then compare it to the rest of the league equally under the same rules and time frame?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i only have one wish in three years time.....Price is no longer on the team.....any roster that does not include him is fine with me

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
It’s the same sample size and measures each team equally. Yes the years are cherry picked.. once again though.. it’s to show how bad the 2008-2011 draft years were for us. Not sure why you don’t understand or acknowledge that?

But I did also show you the last 10 years and you are still not happy. Did you have time to cherry pick your own years yet? And then compare it to the rest of the league equally under the same rules and time frame?

I understand exactly what you're doing. You're making it seem like because of the 2008-2011 drafts, Bergevin was doomed and could not achieve success. Yet you fail to mention how thanks to the 2005 and 2007 drafts (+ Gallagher from the 2009 draft), he was able to ride a strong core to multiple playoffs appearances while adding nothing of note to the team. Now that he has had time to put his footprints on the team, you convienetly bring up the 2008-2011 drafts as an excuse to the Habs failure. The fact that the 2007 draft produced 3 All-Stars compensated big time for a poor showing in the following drafts. Teams barely have 2-3 stars from 3-4 drafts combined. The Habs had 3 in one draft and it contributed to sustained success up until Bergevin messed it up. Also, nothing of note was added from 2012, 2013 and 2014 so far besides Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Sorinth

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
i only have one wish in three years time.....Price is no longer on the team.....any roster that does not include him is fine with me

Did he personally say something to you to make you feel this way? How is Price the issue? His contract is a big egregious big but he's a proven top 5 goalie in this league. Olympic gold medalist, Vezina, Hart, etc. etc.

Calling him the issue is like blaming a train wreck on a bug hitting a car windshield 4 miles away.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Did he personally say something to you to make you feel this way? How is Price the issue? His contract is a big egregious big but he's a proven top 5 goalie in this league. Olympic gold medalist, Vezina, Hart, etc. etc.

Calling him the issue is like blaming a train wreck on a bug hitting a car windshield 4 miles away.
Some people can't resist the temptation to single out the one or two things that don't actually need fixing and labeling them as the problem.

Did Price have a bad season? Yes. If he had put up a great season would it have changed this team's fortunes all that much? No. In fact, all it would have "accomplished" is to put us a few rungs lower on the draft table, which would actually have a negative impact on our future development.

Same goes for Weber. If he hadn't been injured the Habs blue line would still be a shambles and they still wouldn't have made the playoffs. But again this doesn't stop people from blaming him and/or Price for everything that's wrong with the team for some reason.

As for their contracts, I would say that we should not act like girly men when it comes to cap management. The cap usually goes up and will definitely go up due to expansion over the next two seasons. The more the cap rises the more digestible those contracts to Price and Weber become.

How about we lay the blame where it belongs instead of crapping on the few areas of strength that this team has?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand exactly what you're doing. You're making it seem like because of the 2008-2011 drafts, Bergevin was doomed and could not achieve success. Yet you fail to mention how thanks to the 2005 and 2007 drafts (+ Gallagher from the 2009 draft), he was able to ride a strong core to multiple playoffs appearances while adding nothing of note to the team. Now that he has had time to put his footprints on the team, you convienetly bring up the 2008-2011 drafts as an excuse to the Habs failure. The fact that the 2007 draft produced 3 All-Stars compensated big time for a poor showing in the following drafts. Teams barely have 2-3 stars from 3-4 drafts combined. The Habs had 3 in one draft and it contributed to sustained success up until Bergevin messed it up. Also, nothing of note was added from 2012, 2013 and 2014 so far besides Galchenyuk.

No, this is not about Bergevin. This is about measuring our drafting success and how this relates to how many picks we had and where we picked.

If you want to make it about someone in management, it’s about TT.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
-Molson sells habs to Quebec
-Molson applies / gets for NHL franchise
-Retools and pillages and drafts from all other teams

Wins Stanley cup

time frame 1 year

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

You need to let go of 2008-2011. They are cherry picked years because if you go back a single year, that changes drastically. Those years hurt the team no doubt, but 2011 was 7 years ago. It’s ridiculous how bad we’ve been adding depth following then. Players drafted after the years you keep bringing up are around 25 years old for gods sake. Let go of the distant past and worry about what’s hurting the team now. We got a great group of players despite those terrible draft years in Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Gallagher, etc. It doesn’t matter anymore. Gainey is long gone and you continue to argue whose worse for whatever reason. Likely to protect Bergevin.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You need to let go of 2008-2011. They are cherry picked years because if you go back a single year, that changes drastically. Those years hurt the team no doubt, but 2011 was 7 years ago. It’s ridiculous how bad we’ve been adding depth following then. Players drafted after the years you keep bringing up are around 25 years old for gods sake. Let go of the distant past and worry about what’s hurting the team now. We got a great group of players despite those terrible draft years in Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Gallagher, etc. It doesn’t matter anymore. Gainey is long gone and you continue to argue whose worse for whatever reason. Likely to protect Bergevin.

No, not letting go the bad 4 years. The ripple effect of those years hurt us more than you want to admit.

Stop making it a Bergevin thing

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No, not letting go the bad 4 years. The ripple effect of those years hurt us more than you want to admit.

Stop making it a Bergevin thing

No they didn’t. Players come into the league 18-25 and that’s a 7 year gap. 2011 was 7 years ago. It has no bearing on this team now, especially when the former management left some great players behind despite those rough years. Give it up. Those were bad draft years that have nothing to do with how miserable drafting has been under Bergevin. NONE.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No they didn’t. Players come into the league 18-25 and that’s a 7 year gap. 2011 was 7 years ago. It has no bearing on this team now, especially when the former management left some great players behind despite those rough years. Give it up. Those were bad draft years that have nothing to do with how miserable drafting has been under Bergevin. NONE.

Players drafted from 2008-2011 would be age 25-30 on our roster today. One guy.. Gallagher. We have missing holes on our roster.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So Shane Churla, the guy who has been our head scout for the last 5 years, is still apparently immune from any criticism?

Critize who you like but in the last 6 drafts we have Galchenyuk, Drouin (Sergachev) Hudon, Lehkonen, DLR, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen. Most of these guys are just starting to show potential. Takes time and we have a few others who will make our roster as well in future years.

That’s way better than just Gallagher. You want to pick just 4 years? Go ahead. Still more than Gallagher.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Players drafted from 2008-2011 would be age 25-30 on our roster today. One guy.. Gallagher. We have missing holes on our roster.

We have missing holes that we’ve had nothing but time to fill. Bergevin has had 6 years. 6 bloody years to add a couple of players and he’s added essentially none other then Galchenyuk threw the draft and a few others that may or may not pan out. Like I said, those years you’re talking about were bad, but there was a talented core regardless of those years. Would we better if we did better in those years? Absolutely. But let’s not pretend like this team was a skeleton in 2012. They had promise all over them. This current management not only failed to fill holes, but created more in the process. How you keep trying to defend that I have no idea. SIX years.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have missing holes that we’ve had nothing but time to fill. Bergevin has had 6 years. 6 bloody years to add a couple of players and he’s added essentially none other then Galchenyuk threw the draft and a few others that may or may not pan out. Like I said, those years you’re talking about were bad, but there was a talented core regardless of those years. Would we better if we did better in those years? Absolutely. But let’s not pretend like this team was a skeleton in 2012. They had promise all over them. This current management not only failed to fill holes, but created more in the process. How you keep trying to defend that I have no idea. SIX years.

This is not a Bergevin thread. Let’s get back to the thread topic. You have your opinion and I have mine.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is not a Bergevin thread. Let’s get back to the thread topic. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Fair enough. Just let what I said sink whenever you bring up 2008-2011 which you always do. I don’t disagree when you bring up they were bad years for obvious reason. But if you’re going to acknowdge those years, you better be prepared to take the heat for 2012-current.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Drouin - Faksa - Zadina
Kovalchuk - UFA/Trade - Scherbak
Hudon- Danault - Gallagher
Rychel - Gregoire - McCarron

UFA/Trade - Weber
Hickey - Juulsen
Mete - Fleury

Price
Hawkey

Nikohab

Nov 16, 2017
Why 3 years? Get rid of the fat and trade Weber, Price and Patch and get young, skilled and speedy players and rebuild. This is the new NHL and we must be compatible and entertaining. As a fan I couldn't bring myself to watch all these worn out veterans play with no desire to win and bad attitudes. Ship them out as there's still a chance to get something in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad