What does your Rebuild Roster look like in 3 years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you have one criteria to determine wether the Habs are rebuilding or not, ONE.

The amount of picks we had last year and especially the amount of picks we have this year to go along with the 3rd overall and 4-2nd round picks. We are rebuilding but I guess we are not if you think we trade these assets for NHL players

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Read a few posts above. If you made the same work in 2009, your ''system'' says that Alzner was more valuable.

Your are cherry picking one player and measuring them up against a player of your choice. It holds no value and means nothing. My system is an evaluation of trends over a larger sample size. Stop going on your witch hunt. It the sum of all parts, not one part vs another from different draft years. Come on man

I repeat, the system measures your ability on drafting players and what they actually do in the NHL and how this correlates to where you picked and how many picks you had. It's not a future prediction or opinion. It's real time stats and the same rules are applied to each team over the same time period.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The amount of picks we had last year and especially the amount of picks we have this year to go along with the 3rd overall and 4-2nd round picks. We are rebuilding but I guess we are not if you think we trade these assets for NHL players
one criteria, ONE.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I agree we lack grade A prospects both today and in the past 10 years. But the point is we are not bottom of the league. Most don't realize that there is a bunch of teams in the same boat or worse.

Poehling, Mete, Juuslen, Scherbak, Lehkonen, DLR, Lindgren are nothing to brag about but we have many more grade B type guys that can surprise. Depth is the strength. If we can add a few grade A prospects, it changes the tone very quickly.

The next draft can do this for us if we do our homework with those 4-2nd round picks. The 3rd overall pick will be a grade A prospect.
If only they gave participation trophies. We could be a winner too. You are out to lunch.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2008-2011: Only Gallagher to show for these 4 years. Those are players who would be age 25-30 on our roster today! Think about the holes in our line-up today or our ability to be in on trades over the last few years to acquire the center we needed. We had no Schenn to be able to get Carter! We had no Jones to be able to get RyJo!

2012-2017: We had a few missing 2nd round picks that hurt in 2014, 2015, 2016. We had 23 top 100 picks in this span which ranks 4th in the NHL. This means our strength is quantity but not quality. Why? Cause we typically drafted 25+ in the 1st round and were missing a few 2nd's

2018: It's a big deal but we need to hit with those 2nd round picks at the very least. Walking away with 2 or 3 Grade A prospects from this draft is what we need.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I was thinking about it, and the habs have technically tanked/rebuild during the MB era.

After this draft we will have 3 top 3 picks playing in our line up from the last 7 years.

Not many teams have 3 1/2/3rd ova picks in their line up.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I was thinking about it, and the habs have technically tanked/rebuild during the MB era.

After this draft we will have 3 top 3 picks playing in our line up from the last 7 years.

how many teams do ? ? ?

and do you remember one of them comes from a season with Gauthier as GM and was NOT acquired by the actual best GM in Habs history ? ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Correct. Aside from the 3 missing 2nd's (2014-2016), we have had a stock pile of picks. Most don't correlate that the 2008-2011 draft years would be players 25-30 on our roster today and how it's connected to the holes in our line-up.

We are rebuilding but we need more grade A prospects. Something that we should be able to get in the next draft.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Do you know the answer? If so, tell us?
you're awnsering a question with another question.

Just so you can defend someone else who is in love with Bergevin. You probably think he's not smart enough to defend himself or something I guess.

Going back where you were, you are clearly not a Habs fan anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you're awnsering a question with another question.

Just so you can defend someone else who is in love with Bergevin. You probably think he's not smart enough to defend himself or something I guess.

Going back where you were, you are clearly not a Habs fan anyway.

I guess you don't know the answer to your own question. It's funny, you come in with a confrontational approach and when it's return to you, you get all flabbergasted. Can't handle what you dish out?

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Wow, are we ever in trouble in 3 years. Like a famous ex Habs Hall of Famer once said, this looks like 4 4th lines.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
2008-2011: Only Gallagher to show for these 4 years. Those are players who would be age 25-30 on our roster today! Think about the holes in our line-up today or our ability to be in on trades over the last few years to acquire the center we needed. We had no Schenn to be able to get Carter! We had no Jones to be able to get RyJo!

2012-2017: We had a few missing 2nd round picks that hurt in 2014, 2015, 2016. We had 23 top 100 picks in this span which ranks 4th in the NHL. This means our strength is quantity but not quality. Why? Cause we typically drafted 25+ in the 1st round and were missing a few 2nd's

2018: It's a big deal but we need to hit with those 2nd round picks at the very least. Walking away with 2 or 3 Grade A prospects from this draft is what we need.

You’re not comparing equal sample size.

Do the same exercise by doing 2007-2011.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You’re not comparing equal sample size.

Do he same exercise by doing 2007-2011.

You do it and spend your time so I can troll you on it with cherry picking witch hunt arguments after you are done :sarcasm:.

What I do have is the last 10 years though (2008-2017)
- 64 total picks (ranks 26th)
- 2 top 10 picks (ranks 18th)
- 31 top 100 picks (ranks 21st)
- 1637 games played in the NHL by those picks (ranks 29th)
- 670 pts (ranks 28th)
- 0.409 pts/game (ranks 11th)

Last time I did the stats, it was mid December of last year.

Like I said a hundred times, the 2008-2011 years are dark years for us and the ripple effects have lasted for years and we have holes in our line-up today because of it. Those players would be 25-30 today. Like Gallagher. The intent of separating the stats starting in 2012 is to show you how bad the 4 years prior are and why people think we suck at drafting. Something you ignore but I know you realize it. You just don't want to admit it.

The difference between 2008-2011 and 2012-2017 is night and day. Our worse mistake is letting Galchenyuk and Gallagher play as 18 and 20 years olds and not actually rebuilding back in 2012. We had lots of picks but too many from 25 on from the years of drafting after 2012. Hope we don't make that mistake again this year where we think we can retool and be cup contenders through free agency and trades. Tavares would be nice but it's a long shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: btallett

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
DRAFT PICK VALUE CHART, 1990-2013

if we follow these numbers: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

our 3rd pick has 80% of becoming a top 6 foward / top 4 def

then we have 4 2nd which are 35 38 56 57.

Those are about at 10% per pick to become a top player, a better chance of getting a 4th liner, even they will have a 35% chance to play in the nhl at least 100 game.

so assuming these number are correct, we wont have the 4 players in the 2nd round in 3 years in Montreal for sure.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
You do it and spend your time so I can troll you on it with cherry picking witch hunt arguments after you are done :sarcasm:.

What I do have is the last 10 years though (2008-2017)
- 64 total picks (ranks 26th)
- 2 top 10 picks (ranks 18th)
- 31 top 100 picks (ranks 21st)
- 1637 games played in the NHL by those picks (ranks 29th)
- 670 pts (ranks 28th)
- 0.409 pts/game (ranks 11th)

Last time I did the stats, it was mid December of last year.

Like I said a hundred times, the 2008-2011 years are dark years for us and the ripple effects have lasted for years and we have holes in our line-up today because of it. Those players would be 25-30 today. Like Gallagher. The intent of separating the stats starting in 2012 is to show you how bad the 4 years prior are and why people think we suck at drafting. Something you ignore but I know you realize it. You just don't want to admit it.

The difference between 2008-2011 and 2012-2017 is night and day. Our worse mistake is letting Galchenyuk and Gallagher play as 18 and 20 years olds and not actually rebuilding back in 2012. We had lots of picks but too many from 25 on from the years of drafting after 2012. Hope we don't make that mistake again this year where we think we can retool and be cup contenders through free agency and trades. Tavares would be nice but it's a long shot.

You’re the one cherry picking and comparing 4 years of drafting with 6 years of drafting. That is not the same sample size of comparison. Of course if you include the 2007 draft, it doesn’t fall with your narrative.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Some of you are trying to use statistics to defend Bergevin lol.

2012 team >> 2017 team + the core has aged 5 years. This is the only stat worth talking about.

-Never go full Bergevin-

Opie.png

Reactions: Michelangelo

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
tough to say ! they are alotes of things that could happen in 3 years ! players that bust, injuries, a player that start to slow down

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
2017: Draft Zadina, Sandin, and Ylonen with Pacioretty traded
2018: Draft Hughes, Cozen, or Lavoie with hopefully another high first rounder for Byram with Weber traded
2019: Draft Byfield or Lafreniere

Go from there.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
2018: Trade Pacioretty+ to Oilers or Islanders for a 1st; Draft Zadina; Draft Kotkaniemi; No major FA signings
2019: Picking 5th overall the draft another Halifax Moosehead and local center Raphael Lavoie; Sign OEL and Jeff Skinner

2019 lineup

Drouin - Kotkaniemi (r) - Galchenyuk
Zadina - Poehling (r) - Gallagher
Skinner - Danault - Scherbak
Hudon/Lehkonen - Evans (r) -Shaw
Deslauriers

OEL - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Reilly

The 2019-20 season is in the books, and while they weren't cup contenders a young Habs team surpassed expectations, squeaking into the playoffs but are easily dispatched by the still dominant lightning 4 games to 1. The series made tougher in large part to a deadline deal that, with the writing on the wall, saw Alex Galchenyuk traded to the Winnipeg Jets for 2018 1st round pick Ryan Merkley and their 2020 1st rounder.

2020 lineup

Zadina - Lavoie - Drouin
Skinner - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak
Danault - Poehling - Gallagher
Lehkonen/Hudon - Evans - Shaw

No change on defence;

Lavoie is dominant winning rookie of the year with 30 goals and 70 points.

Sweeps the Leafs round one
Sweeps the Bruins round two
Sweeps the Pens round three
Sweeps the Preds in the finals

*** Wakes up... ***

"What happened?? I blacked out there"...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2018: Trade Pacioretty+ to Oilers or Islanders for a 1st; Draft Zadina; Draft Kotkaniemi; No major FA signings
2019: Picking 5th overall the draft another Halifax Moosehead and local center Raphael Lavoie; Sign OEL and Jeff Skinner

2019 lineup

Drouin - Kotkaniemi (r) - Galchenyuk
Zadina - Poehling (r) - Gallagher
Skinner - Danault - Scherbak
Hudon/Lehkonen - Evans (r) -Shaw
Deslauriers

OEL - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Reilly

The 2019-20 season is in the books, and while they weren't cup contenders a young Habs team surpassed expectations, squeaking into the playoffs but are easily dispatched by the still dominant lightning 4 games to 1. The series made tougher in large part to a deadline deal that, with the writing on the wall, saw Alex Galchenyuk traded to the Winnipeg Jets for 2018 1st round pick Ryan Merkley and their 2020 1st rounder.

2020 lineup

Zadina - Lavoie - Drouin
Skinner - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak
Danault - Poehling - Gallagher
Lehkonen/Hudon - Evans - Shaw

No change on defence;

Lavoie is dominant winning rookie of the year with 30 goals and 70 points.

Sweeps the Leafs round one
Sweeps the Bruins round two
Sweeps the Pens round three
Sweeps the Preds in the finals

*** Wakes up... ***

"What happened?? I blacked out there"...

Very curious to see what Lavoie does next year. If he can improve skating even more, he looks like the next Getzlaf type player IMO. I also believe he miss the 2018 NHL draft by 4 or 5 days. He was drafted in the same Q draft as McIsaac and Groulx but not the same NHL draft.

Lovoie is probably my favorite Mooseheads player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->