What does your Rebuild Roster look like in 3 years?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Where's the GM that trade Nieuwendyk for Iginla with Gainey when he was in DAL? Hire him to replace Dudley. I'd love to get Iginla-type players back for Pacioretty, Weber and Price ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My revised future line in 3+ years time (after the 2018 draft)...

Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Ylonen
Drouin / Poehling / Scherbak
Domi / Danault / Gallagher
DLR / Olofsson / Hudon

Evans, Vejdemo,

Mete / Weber
Romanov / Juulsen
???? / Brook

Fleury

Price

Lindgren

Patch needs to be traded for a stud at LD. It's the biggest hole in our prospect pool now!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Tough to know tbh.

In three years, we'll also have had 3 more drafts, so knows if we don't get a top 2 pick or any other draft pick with a steep development curve.

What I know is the team has been on point the last three drafts. 2016 is the most painful one since, by all accounts, Timmins was going for the right players with his seconds. We shouldve, at minimum, had Sergachev, Girard and Mete out of it, which is an entire left side with speed and skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tough to know tbh.

In three years, we'll also have had 3 more drafts, so knows if we don't get a top 2 pick or any other draft pick with a steep development curve.

What I know is the team has been on point the last three drafts. 2016 is the most painful one since, by all accounts, Timmins was going for the right players with his seconds. We shouldve, at minimum, had Sergachev, Girard and Mete out of it, which is an entire left side with speed and skill.

I just find it interesting to project and see how it looks. It helps you focus on what we need to target if we are trading Patch, Byron, Petry, Weber in the next few years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I just find it interesting to project and see how it looks. It helps you focus on what we need to target if we are trading Patch, Byron, Petry, Weber in the next few years.

Oh, sure, not debating the value of the thread, it's cool to think about.

On Weber, I'd be open to trading him, too. But, for an overpayment, nothing less if his play stays at the level it's at.

Since we're relatively weak at all positions in the prospect pool, I wouldn't plan in any particular way. I'd just make sure Timmins gets his picks. Losing Sergachev and Girard for Drouin and Shaw is frankly unacceptable.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

DLR / Olofsson / Hudon

Evans, Vejdemo,

Mete / Weber
Romanov / Juulsen
???? / Brook

Fleury

Price

Lindgren

Patch needs to be traded for a stud at LD. It's the biggest hole in our prospect pool now!
Who knows, maybe a guy like Hillis will make a push to obviate Danault. Olofsson could also switch with Danault. Hillis may need to start on the wing. Alternately, a winger could get nudged out as well. This could be a fairly quick, roll-4-lines type of team, emphasizing depth over elite scoring.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh, sure, not debating the value of the thread, it's cool to think about.

On Weber, I'd be open to trading him, too. But, for an overpayment, nothing less if his play stays at the level it's at.

Since we're relatively weak at all positions in the prospect pool, I wouldn't plan in any particular way. I'd just make sure Timmins gets his picks. Losing Sergachev and Girard for Drouin and Shaw is frankly unacceptable.

Trading Patch, Byron, Petry, Weber in the next season (+/-) for futures is becoming more and more obvious.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

DLR / Olofsson / Hudon

Evans, Vejdemo,

Mete / Weber
Romanov / Juulsen
???? / Brook

Fleury

Price

Lindgren

I think this shows that LD is BY FAR the biggest organizational need for this franchise- which only furthers my opinion that that should be our target in a Pacioretty trade. An early 20s top 4 LD would help us now and in the future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who knows, maybe a guy like Hillis will make a push to obviate Danault. Olofsson could also switch with Danault. Hillis may need to start on the wing. Alternately, a winger could get nudged out as well. This could be a fairly quick, roll-4-lines type of team, emphasizing depth over elite scoring.

I think they challenge for roster spots in the 3-5 year range. It should be interesting to see how Danault fits moving forward. I would use him as a #2C while we rebuild and sign Stastny. Move Drouin to the wing and let him do his thing. Playing him at center is going to create too much distraction IMO.

This past draft and the 2017 draft were good ones for us. Lets hope we see solid development from these kids.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think this shows that LD is BY FAR the biggest organizational need for this franchise- which only furthers my opinion that that should be our target in a Pacioretty trade. An early 20s top 4 LD would help us now and in the future.

I agree! We need to target a LD in the Patch trade. Get a young player with upside and a future 1st round pick.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Trading Patch, Byron, Petry, Weber in the next season (+/-) for futures is becoming more and more obvious.

One thing to keep in mind: while its nice to accumulate and trade, something Ive pushed for the last 10 years of watching us be a middling team, you still need a minimal amount of veteran presence on the team.

Assuming Weber recovers, he's got quite a few years of good play and he's a stabilizing presence (i.e. the perfect partner for Sergachev *sigh*).

Curiously, what would be the minimal kind of value of return you'd look for ? Hypothetically... Thomas+1st ? Not talking about realistic trades here, but lets say 30 teams wanted him and every asset was available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One thing to keep in mind: while its nice to accumulate and trade, something Ive pushed for the last 10 years of watching us be a middling team, you still need a minimal amount of veteran presence on the team.

Assuming Weber recovers, he's got quite a few years of good play and he's a stabilizing presence (i.e. the perfect partner for Sergachev *sigh*).

Curiously, what would be the minimal kind of value of return you'd look for ? Hypothetically... Thomas+1st ? Not talking about realistic trades here, but lets say 30 teams wanted him and every asset was available.

Personally, I would be OK with Weber and Price retiring as Habs. So I am not trading them unless they demand a trade or we get a serious return. I agree, they could be great options to lead our youth movement

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher "C"
Domi - Poehling - Scherbak
Lehkonen "A" - Olofsson - Ylonen
De La Rose - Alain - Ikonen

XXXX - Weber "A"
Mete - Juulsen
Romanov - Brook

Price
McNiven

extra: McCarron, Fleury, Evans

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Personally, I would be OK with Weber and Price retiring as Habs. So I am not trading them unless they demand a trade or we get a serious return. I agree, they could be great options to lead our youth movement

Ok makes sense. It's tough to gage what kind of return he could get. There arent many comparables. He's worth more than McDonagh was and less than Pronger. But, Pronger was a better player and the return ended up very underwhelming both times.

I tend to agree on both, but there's so many factors: will Price accept a 2-3 down years (I hope management has sat down with him to explain what theyre doing) ? Will he return to form and prevent the rebuild from happening ?

If I had a strategy, Itd be to wait and see. I wouldnt actively shop them, but if a Duchene or Jeff Carter like return presented itself (meaning a clear overpayment) Id do it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok makes sense. It's tough to gage what kind of return he could get. There arent many comparables. He's worth more than McDonagh was and less than Pronger. But, Pronger was a better player and the return ended up very underwhelming both times.

I tend to agree on both, but there's so many factors: will Price accept a 2-3 down years (I hope management has sat down with him to explain what theyre doing) ? Will he return to form and prevent the rebuild from happening ?

If I had a strategy, Itd be to wait and see. I wouldnt actively shop them, but if a Duchene or Jeff Carter like return presented itself (meaning a clear overpayment) Id do it.

I think Weber is worth a lot! He is a goal scoring machine from the back end. Not many can match his career 18 goals per season average. People are so focused with decline but in fact, his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. To put things in perspective, Subban just scored 16 goals and that is his career best. Weber ability to score is a game changer. Not saying Weber is worth more than Subban but I know NHL GM's value Weber's ability to score!

Weber has great value for the next 4 years. Then after that, he likely only plays 1 or two more seasons.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak
Domi - Stastny - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Ylonen
De La Rose - Olofsson - Shaw

I'd prefer the Habs do little this offseason, and replace Stastny with one of the 5, give or take, centers expected to go early in 2019 draft. The line-up above lacks elite talent, and it could be argued that the 1st line looks more like a 2nd line.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
People who thinks that Weber dosnt hold any value just dosnt understand his contract or really underestimate what he brings on the ice... For a team that just want to get to the floor or have an internal budget his contract is amazing

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
In 3 years?

Drouin - Lafreniere (2020)-Scherbak
Palat - Kitkat - Ylonen
Lekkonen - Poehling - Gallagher
DLR - Evans - Vejdemo/Hudon/Ikonen
Olofson

Byram (2019)- Traded RD
Romanov- Juulsen