What does your Rebuild Roster look like in 3 years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1. Lets use Gallagher as our oldest asset. In 3 years he is age 28. Weather or not Price and Weber stay or are traded, lets omit them on our roster 3 years from now.

2. Patch, Byron, Shaw, Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko. All gone. I expect future picks by trading these guys.

3. Take a wild prediction at who we draft in 2018. Then project your roster and lets see how it looks today. Players drafted in 2018 will be age 20, 3 years from now. Some will be on our roster and some will be knocking on the door. It just shows you what the future looks like if you put it all together.

My 2018 picks:

- Zadina (3): Elite level RW who can score and make plays
- Kotkaniemi (15.. Patch traded to Panthers): He might be available at 15. A center that can score!
- Tychonick (35): LD. Type that can run a PP
- Wise (38): Small center with lots of upside and skill.
- Ginning (56): LD with size
- Rodrigue (57): I think he could be elite in net. Reminds me a Quick and Ducharme will have good things to say about him. Don't care that we are stocked with goalie prospects already. Draft best available.
- Fortier (66): Not sure of the depth by this point but this kid can skate and he has offensive upside.

Age 28 and under Depth in 3+ years:

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Zadina
Galchenyuk / Poehling / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Danault / Gallagher
Hudon / Evans / Bitten
Fortier / Wise / Ikonen
Addison / Vedjemo / McCarron

Mete / Juulsen
Tychonick / Brook
Ginning / Fleury
Reilly / Lernout

Lindgren
Rodrigue
McNiven
Hawkey
Primeau

We would need some of these kids to surprise and touch elite status if we are going to compete for a cup. The key would be what we could get for Price and Weber and how they fit within this group. Acquiring superstar talent is not going to be easy people! Even if we tank in the next few years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1. Lets use Gallagher as our oldest asset. In 3 years he is age 28. Weather or not Price and Weber stay or are traded, lets omit them on our roster 3 years from now.

2. Patch, Byron, Shaw, Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko. All gone. I expect future picks by trading these guys.

3. Take a wild prediction at who we draft in 2018. Then project your roster and lets see how it looks today. Players drafted in 2018 will be age 20, 3 years from now. Some will be on our roster and some will be knocking on the door. It just shows you what the future looks like if you put it all together.

My 2018 picks:

- Zadina (3): Elite level RW who can score and make plays
- Kotkaniemi (15.. Patch traded to Panthers): He might be available at 15. A center that can score!
- Tychonick (35): LD. Type that can run a PP
- Wise (38): Small center with lots of upside and skill.
- Ginning (56): LD with size
- Rodrigue (57): I think he could be elite in net. Reminds me a Quick and Ducharme will have good things to say about him. Don't care that we are stocked with goalie prospects already. Draft best available.
- Fortier (66): Not sure of the depth by this point but this kid can skate and he has offensive upside.

Age 28 and under Depth in 3+ years:

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Zadina
Galchenyuk / Poehling / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Danault / Gallagher
Hudon / Evans / Bitten
Fortier / Wise / Ikonen
Addison / Vedjemo / McCarron

Mete / Juulsen
Tychonick / Brook
Ginning / Fleury
Reilly / Lernout

Lindgren
Rodrigue
McNiven
Hawkey
Primeau

We would need some of these kids to surprise and touch elite status if we are going to compete for a cup. The key would be what we could get for Price and Weber and how they fit within this group. Acquiring superstar talent is not going to be easy people! Even if we tank in the next few years.

Honestly, not sure what the point of this exercise is. 5/30 guys you mentioned are considered regular NHLers. Half are complete crapshoot. 7 are not even on this team..

Not to knock on your thread, I just don't see the point, and that roster has "tank" written all over it.
I mean, 3 years ago, you could have done the same with Edmonton despite generational talent like McDavid and elite guys like Drai, and they still finished low.
As good as Zadina may be, he isn't a generational talent. It's not even a given that he will be an elite top liner in the NHL.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's sort of a strange lineup since none of our picks made the roster from 2019, despite the fact that we'll be terrible and draft high. Probably likewise in 2020. Moreover, Kotkaniemi will not be there at 15. You can quote me on this.

I think the idea of trading Pacioretty is a good one. However, we probably missed our chance with Paul Byron. We won't get much value for him, while we probably could have got some decent value this deadline. It's just another in a long line of missed opportunities. I would look at trading Weber.

Here's the moves I would make:

-Attempt to trade down with Detroit, or Ottawa, to pick up their two firsts. If we can do that, draft Kotkaniemi with their first. If that plan blows up in our face with someone taking him before us, we'll likely have Wahlstrom available to us.

-Trade Pacioretty for a 2019 1st and a prospect.

-Try to find suitors for Weber. His salary drops below his cap hit this year and for the remainder of his contract. Perhaps an obvious target would be Arizona, especially if they're basically losing OEL.

That will basically give us 2 top 10 picks, at least 4 firsts, 5 seconds, and a few B+ prospects all within 2 years. There will then be two groups of players who will participate in our next core. The U25 group, and the prospects.

U25 group:

Galchenyuk
Drouin
Gallagher
Lehkonen
Hudon

Prospects:

Zadina/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi
Mete
Juulsen
Poehling
Brook
Our 1st 2019
Pacioretty's 1st 2019
Pittsburgh/Vegas 1st 2018
Whichever promising players arise from our batch of 2nds this year

This group doesn't look good enough to compete in 2020. It looks like a lottery team. It does have a lot of quality components, however, and it's not a nothing start. This is our ''lump of talent.'' Depending on how the lotteries break for us in 2019, and 2020, we'll have our raw material for the rebuild already, at which point we'll need to start thinking about avoiding Buffalo's fate.

Reactions: habs73

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, not sure what the point of this exercise is. 5/30 guys you mentioned are considered regular NHLers. Half are complete crapshoot. 7 are not even on this team..

Not to knock on your thread, I just don't see the point, and that roster has "tank" written all over it.
I mean, 3 years ago, you could have done the same with Edmonton despite generational talent like McDavid and elite guys like Drai, and they still finished low.
As good as Zadina may be, he isn't a generational talent. It's not even a given that he will be an elite top liner in the NHL.

The point is to evaluate how you think the rebuild would go. With the prospects I picked and inserted into the depth chart, do you see that roster contending?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
The point is to evaluate how you think the rebuild would go. With the prospects I picked and inserted into the depth chart, do you see that roster contending?
with what you picked, we will be in great shape to get another top 3 pick.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do I see it contending? Of course not. There isn't one single elite prospect there. Zadina isn't even an elite guaranteed one.
Mete as your #1D? Lindgren as your #1G? Juulsen who I rate as a bottom pairing D, at most a #4, as your 2nd guy? Kotkaniemi as your top center when he put up 10G in the Liiga this year???
What in the hell? You're seriously asking me if I see this roster contending in just 3 years?
Heeeeellllllll no.

You can't evaluate much of anything when 7 of the guys you mentioned aren't even in the NHL, and another 15 aren't even sure to make the NHL, let alone hold any type of significant role.
Otherwise, I mean really, every team can just name 20-25 of their prospects, say if they reach their potential, we in buisness.

Look at the contenders today, then look at your roster, and tell me with a straight face about contention again..

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
whoever we draft this year
poehling
gallagher
danault
Lehkonen

juulsen
mete

yup, that's about the entirety of whom i'd like see here in three years.

everyone else can just go ahead and f*** right off

Reactions: Harry22

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Based on his contract situation and his recent issues with the habs I would be shocked to see Galchenyuk still here in 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do I see it contending? Of course not. There isn't one single elite prospect there. Zadina isn't even an elite guaranteed one.
Mete as your #1D? Lindgren as your #1G? Juulsen who I rate as a bottom pairing D, at most a #4, as your 2nd guy? Kotkaniemi as your top center when he put up 10G in the Liiga this year???
What in the hell? You're seriously asking me if I see this roster contending in just 3 years?
Heeeeellllllll no.

You can't evaluate much of anything when 7 of the guys you mentioned aren't even in the NHL, and another 15 aren't even sure to make the NHL, let alone hold any type of significant role.
Otherwise, I mean really, every team can just name 20-25 of their prospects, say if they reach their potential, we in buisness.

Look at the contenders today, then look at your roster, and tell me with a straight face about contention again..

You can evaluate the future and how the roster looks. It's what the Habs should be doing and how they should set their targets in this next draft. This "draft the best available" don't exist because none of us have a crystal ball where you know the future. With Dahlin, you can say he is the best available. With Svechnikov and Zadina, you can say they are 2/3 but some probably would pick Boqvist ahead of Zadina. The best available from 4-10 range is who? The best available in the 2nd round is who? The answer is different from who you ask and what rankings list you look at.

If you don't like projecting prospects potential and how they fit on our roster in the future. Go to another thread? I just think it's interesting to see how these guys fit together and how the depth chart looks after this draft. It's important to create balance and we need Centers and LD. Prospects will surprise and disappoint. It doesn't mean you need to get all cranky about it

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
if you omit those players over 28, it just adds to the guesswork.

Drouin (Max trade prospect) Zadina
Galchenyuk Poehling Gallagher
Lehkonen Danault Scherbak
Deslauriers DLR McCarron

Mete Weber
Alzer Juulsen
Reilly Fleury

Price

This just shows that the Habs need to add picks and prospects by being patient and trading players like Max, Shaw, Byron, etc... The players listed at C and LD have to drop in the depth chart.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You can evaluate the future and how the roster looks. It's what the Habs should be doing and how they should set their targets in this next draft. This "draft the best available" don't exist because none of us have a crystal ball where you know the future. With Dahlin, you can say he is the best available. With Svechnikov and Zadina, you can say they are 2/3 but some probably would pick Boqvist ahead of Zadina. The best available from 4-10 range is who? The best available in the 2nd round is who? The answer is different from who you ask and what rankings list you look at.

If you don't like projecting prospects potential and how they fit on our roster in the future. Go to another thread? I just think it's interesting to see how these guys fit together and how the depth chart looks after this draft. It's important to create balance and we need Centers and LD. Prospects will surprise and disappoint. It doesn't mean you need to get all cranky about it
You cannot have any decent evaluation when you have so many complete question marks.
This roster can be the worse one in the NHL...or a good one if everyone hits their max potential.
You can say that for every team too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You cannot have any decent evaluation when you have so many complete question marks.
This roster can be the worse one in the NHL...or a good one if everyone hits their max potential.
You can say that for every team too.

You project how it looks and you also realize that there are no guarantees. It's not rocket science and all teams do this. If you don't, you are stupid.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
My line-up in 3 years:

Drouin - XXXXX - Zadina
Lehkonen - Poehling - Gallagher
XXXXX - Danault - XXXXX
Bitten - Evans - McCarron

XXXXX - Juulsen
Mete - Weber
XXXXX - XXXXX

Price - Lindgren

Forwards: A lot can change in 3 years so unsure on a couple of guys but I think Galchenyuk and Patch will be gone. One of Hudon or Scherbak will grab that 3rd line spot, the other spot will go to a veteran from UFA or trade. Bergevin needs to find a #1C. Also, If Poehling isn't ready we may be stuck with Danault as our #2. Lots of work to be done here, but at least we have a lot of young quality wingers. A lot of assets could move around.

Defense: Mete-Juulsen I think could be nice #2 and #3, but we do lack a true #1 ala Doughty/Karlsson/Subban. Weber will probably still be here but hopefully will be more of a 18:00 or 19:00 kind of guy. Bergevin definitely needs to acquire a solid young top-4 guy. As for the 3rd pair, a lot can change, so won't predict it. I wouldn't mind Reilly if he keeps on improving.

Goalies: Highly likely Price will still be here, hopefully he finds his mojo. Lindgren should be well established by then, perhaps he can be used as a trade chip.

Overall: As of right now most people will think this team sucks, but a lot can change from year to year. All we need is a couple of breakout players, some nice play from Price, and 2-3 good acquisitions from Bergevin. That's a lot that needs to go right, but it's still possible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Remember we will lose a player for the Seattle expansion.

Lets say Seattle comes into the NHL in the 2020/2021 season and it's the same expansion rules as with Vegas... What draft picks are exposed? Well, with Vegas, All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

That would be picks that have played in the AHL last season that would be exposed. The 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 seasons any prospect plays would be excluded just like Scherbak and McCarron were last year (for example).

Exposed Prospects: Lindgren, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete, DLR, Hudon, Lehkonen, Addison, McCarron, McNiven, Carr, Audette, etc.

Prospects that are Protected: Anybody playing their first pro year this year or after. So Poehling, Evans, Bitten, Brook, Fleury, Vejdemo and any picks we draft in the next draft are protected.

Who do we protect?
- Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen.
- 2 forward spots left between Shaw, DLR, Hudon, Byron ?
- Petry would have one year left I believe. Do we protect him over Mete or Juulsen? Hard to say how the next 2 years go.

I don't see the Habs losing a significant player. It might be Petry or Lindgren.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You project how it looks and you also realize that there are no guarantees. It's not rocket science and all teams do this. If you don't, you are stupid.
You didn't have to be dickish about it, I asked what the point was because I didn't see it. There obviously is none to it.
I am willing to bet that 2/3rds of the name you mentioned won't even be on our team in 3 years time. That is how pointless your exercise is. But hey, it's fine, have fun!

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The point is to evaluate how you think the rebuild would go. With the prospects I picked and inserted into the depth chart, do you see that roster contending?.

How would we know? Half the players you named, we have no idea if they will be any good in the NHL.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Lets say Seattle comes into the NHL in the 2020/2021 season and it's the same expansion rules as with Vegas... What draft picks are exposed? Well, with Vegas, All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

That would be picks that have played in the AHL last season that would be exposed. The 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 seasons any prospect plays would be excluded just like Scherbak and McCarron were last year (for example).

Exposed Prospects: Lindgren, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete, DLR, Hudon, Lehkonen, Addison, McCarron, McNiven, Carr, Audette, etc.

Prospects that are Protected: Anybody playing their first pro year this year or after. So Poehling, Evans, Bitten, Brook, Fleury, Vejdemo and any picks we draft in the next draft are protected.

Who do we protect?
- Price, Weber, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen.
- 2 forward spots left between Shaw, DLR, Hudon, Byron ?
- Petry would have one year left I believe. Do we protect him over Mete or Juulsen? Hard to say how the next 2 years go.

I don't see the Habs losing a significant player. It might be Petry or Lindgren.

It would indeed be very hard for us to lose a significant player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How would we know? Half the players you named, we have no idea if they will be any good in the NHL.

What would you do if you were Timmins? You would project and see how they fit and then determine what areas you focus on heading into the draft. But hey, you can sit back and be negative if you want. That's not what teams actually do though.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
What would you do if you were Timmins? You would project and see how they fit and then determine what areas you focus on heading into the draft. But hey, you can sit back and be negative if you want. That's not what teams actually do though.

That is Timmins' job. You're asking a message board where 99% of the people have rarely seen the players you named, to project what players we will get and then to project if those players will be actual NHLers. That is not being negative, that's just realizing that this thread is pointless for this message board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad