What does your Rebuild Roster look like in 3 years?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The point is to evaluate how you think the rebuild would go. With the prospects I picked and inserted into the depth chart, do you see that roster contending?
No chance that roster contends.

I also can't take this seriously with you have McCarron still with the team...I doubt he is back next season. He has been given his shot and has failed.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Well they could just have hired me as their head amateur scout 5 years ago, no need to wishfully project a turn around in the future, this is were we would be right now:

LW - C - RW
Pac - Point - Gallagher
Buchnevich - Galchenyuk - Bjorkstrand
Sprong - Danault - Kase
Lehkonen - Hudon - Byron
Extra: Bratt, Scherbak.
No room: Dano, Wallmark, Shaw, Deslauriers, Carr.
Most notable NCAA/Europe: Tkachev, Sorensen.
Most notable prospects: Vesalainen, Safin, Gettinger, Marody, Lipanov, Bitten, many 2018 picks.

LD - RD
Sergachev* - Weber
Hagg - Petry
Alzner - Tryamkin (left to the KHL had issue with VAN)
Extra: Reilly.
No room: Benn, Schlemko
Most notable prospects: Kylington, Gildon, Moverare, Bernhardt, many 2018 picks.

*There would have been no need to trade Sergachev for Drouin in the context of this prospect pool (a surplus of forwards and we have Point as our 1C).

G
Same (minus Fucale)

You also have a ton of cap space. Go hard on Tavares? Even then, you clearly have to much depth to start with you should try to do a package deal for a superior player like O'Reilly you can easily afforded it with all your assets.

Proof those were my selections during those years:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-can-now-start-comparing-the-results.2430975/

Conclusion with the people still in place I don't expect much for the future of this team, they did a miserable job in recent years.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No chance that roster contends.

I also can't take this seriously with you have McCarron still with the team...I doubt he is back next season. He has been given his shot and has failed.

You can't predict anything for sure so saying there is not a chance is not true. None of know how the age 28 and under core mature and grow and what prospects disappoint and what prospects surprise. This also doesn't factor in what we could get for Price, Weber, Petry, Byron, Benn, Schlemko, Alzner in trades and who is signed as free agents. With that group I showed you, I suspect we are barely reaching the cap floor.

Not saying we contend right away at the 3 year mark. The idea is how does it look and is it depth that can improve and grow moving forward. Throw away the "Habs can't develop" propaganda. It's getting old. The days of 8 top 100 picks from 2008-2011 draft years and the ripple effects after are beyond us now. We had 23 top 100 picks from 2012-2017 and we have 10 picks in the top 128 in the next draft. Our prospect pool is improving and will get better no matter how negative you want to be.

2008-2011 (4 year span):
- Only 8 top 100 picks
- Only Gallagher to show for it.
- I guess you can count Walford (Beaulieu trade)

2012-2017 (6 year span):
- 23 top 100 picks
- Galchenyuk, Drouin (Sergachev), Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Juulsen, DLR, Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Evans, Vejdemo, Addison, etc. Nothing to brag about but it's way better then just Gallagher!

2018 draft:
- 3rd overall pick
- 5 more picks from 35-66 range
- 4 more picks from 97-128 range
- How many NHL players do we get from this draft? The answer is not 1 but it's not 10 either. I expect 4 or 5 NHL players from this draft year and possibly 2 or 3 impact players at the top of our line-up.

Not expecting our future to look good in 3 years is foolish. Like I said, throw away the propaganda that we can't draft and develop and take a real hard look at the ripple effects from the 2008-2011 draft years. That is players who would be age 25-30 on our roster today which is the reason why we are struggling today... Once again, Only Gallagher to show for 4 years of drafting. BRUTAL! And that has a lot to do with lack of picks in the top 100. Didn't help that Leblanc, Tinordi, and Beaulieu were disappointments. Tinordi was a bad pick but Leblanc and Beaulieu were not.

As far as McCarron. Move him to RW full time and lets see what a new coach in Laval can do. He's definitely bust territory at the age of 23

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well they could just have hired me as their head amateur scout 5 years ago, no need to wishfully project a turn around in the future, this is were we would be right now:

LW - C - RW
Pac - Point - Gallagher
Buchnevich - Galchenyuk - Bjorkstrand
Sprong - Danault - Kase
Lehkonen - Hudon - Byron
Extra: Bratt, Scherbak.
No room: Dano, Wallmark, Shaw, Deslauriers, Carr.
Most notable NCAA/Europe: Tkachev, Sorensen.
Most notable prospects: Vesalainen, Safin, Gettinger, Marody, Lipanov, Bitten, many 2018 picks.

LD - RD
Sergachev* - Weber
Hagg - Petry
Alzner - Tryamkin (left to the KHL had issue with VAN)
Extra: Reilly.
No room: Benn, Schlemko
Most notable prospects: Kylington, Gildon, Moverare, Bernhardt, many 2018 picks.

*There would have been no need to trade Sergachev for Drouin in the context of this prospect pool (a surplus of forwards and we have Point as our 1C).

G
Same (minus Fucale)

You also have a ton of cap space. Go hard on Tavares? Even then, you clearly have to much depth to start with you should try to do a package deal for a superior player like O'Reilly you can easily afforded it with all your assets.

Proof those were my selections during those years:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-can-now-start-comparing-the-results.2430975/

Conclusion with the people still in place I don't expect much for the future of this team, they did a miserable job in recent years.

What are your picks in the next draft? Picks 3, 35, 38, 56, 57, 66. Your interview for the GM job is now! haha

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You can't predict anything for sure so saying there is not a chance is not true. None of know how the age 28 and under core mature and grow and what prospects disappoint and what prospects surprise. This also doesn't factor in what we could get for Price, Weber, Petry, Byron, Benn, Schlemko, Alzner in trades and who is signed as free agents. With that group I showed you, I suspect we are barely reaching the cap floor.

Not saying we contend right away at the 3 year mark. The idea is how does it look and is it depth that can improve and grow moving forward. Throw away the "Habs can't develop" propaganda. It's getting old. The days of 8 top 100 picks from 2008-2011 draft years and the ripple effects after are beyond us now. We had 23 top 100 picks from 2012-2017 and we have 10 picks in the top 128 in the next draft. Our prospect pool is improving and will get better no matter how negative you want to be.

2008-2011 (4 year span):
- Only 8 top 100 picks
- Only Gallagher to show for it.
- I guess you can count Walford (Beaulieu trade)

2012-2017 (6 year span):
- 23 top 100 picks
- Galchenyuk, Drouin (Sergachev), Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Juulsen, DLR, Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Evans, Vejdemo, Addison, etc. Nothing to brag about but it's way better then just Gallagher!

2018 draft:
- 3rd overall pick
- 5 more picks from 35-66 range
- 4 more picks from 97-128 range
- How many NHL players do we get from this draft? The answer is not 1 but it's not 10 either. I expect 4 or 5 NHL players from this draft year and possibly 2 or 3 impact players at the top of our line-up.

Not expecting our future to look good in 3 years is foolish. Like I said, throw away the propaganda that we can't draft and develop and take a real hard look at the ripple effects from the 2008-2011 draft years. That is players who would be age 25-30 on our roster today which is the reason why we are struggling today... Once again, Only Gallagher to show for 4 years of drafting. BRUTAL! And that has a lot to do with lack of picks in the top 100. Didn't help that Leblanc, Tinordi, and Beaulieu were disappointments. Tinordi was a bad pick but Leblanc and Beaulieu were not.

As far as McCarron. Move him to RW full time and lets see what a new coach in Laval can do. He's definitely bust territory at the age of 23

Price and Weber are likely not being moved, especially Price with this GM. And with their contracts, it will be very hard to get anything really close to their worth.

The three dmen you listed get very late picks at best. I doubt anyone will give up something of substance for them, especially after the bad year they just had.

4-5 NHL players from this draft? You do realize that the last time the Habs even just 4 players become regular NHLers from one draft was 2007? And that's with Yanick Weber who is mostly a fringe 6-7 dman. Don't know if he is injured but he has not played one game in the playoffs for Nashville and only 47 during the regular season.

I really hope the team is much better in three years but it would take a major change in management and philosophy. This teams drafting is average and the development is brutal. Leblanc was a terrible pick, done because he is a franco and to top it off they pushed him to leave college and from that point on his development was destroyed. Funny how you separate your list between 2011 and 2012 as it serves your narrative.

Look at the players you have listed...
Galchenyuk - his ability is being squandered by bad management
Drouin - Overrated and gave up a dman the team needed way more than him.
Hudon - like him but realistically he is a 3rd liner who plays on the second from time to time.
Mete - jury still out, could be a 2nr pairing dman or could be less
Scherbak - potential to be top 2 lines hope so
Lehkonen - 3rd liner
Juulsen - more "potential" most likely 2nd pairing maybe top pairing if they actually develop him well.
DLR - 4th line or even AHL
Poehling - too early to tell maybe a 3rd or outside chance for the second line.
Brook - way to early to predict anthing
Fleury see Brook
Evans - see also above
Vejdemo - see also above and 3 years out from his draft is still in Europe playing
Addison - really 7th rounder from 2015? Very small chance that he makes it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
What are your picks in the next draft? Picks 3, 35, 38, 56, 57, 66. Your interview for the GM job is now! haha

Haha sure! Honestly for the 3rd overall pick I am still indecisive for now I will give myself some more time to come to a final decision, I believe it is very close between many players, my top is for now would be one of: Zadina, Wahlstrom or Boqvist. And for sure not Tkachuk.

For the 2nd rounders must picks if they fall out of the 1st round, but doubtful : Berggren, Alexeyev, Merkley, Kaut, Miller.
Than Shafigullin is a must pick imo. Other players I like in the 2nd round that I could end up selecting approximately in order are Foudy, Jenik, Dellandrea, Addison, Marchenko, Bahl and Eriksson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price and Weber are likely not being moved, especially Price with this GM. And with their contracts, it will be very hard to get anything really close to their worth.

The three dmen you listed get very late picks at best. I doubt anyone will give up something of substance for them, especially after the bad year they just had.

4-5 NHL players from this draft? You do realize that the last time the Habs even just 4 players become regular NHLers from one draft was 2007? And that's with Yanick Weber who is mostly a fringe 6-7 dman. Don't know if he is injured but he has not played one game in the playoffs for Nashville and only 47 during the regular season.

I really hope the team is much better in three years but it would take a major change in management and philosophy. This teams drafting is average and the development is brutal. Leblanc was a terrible pick, done because he is a franco and to top it off they pushed him to leave college and from that point on his development was destroyed. Funny how you separate your list between 2011 and 2012 as it serves your narrative.

Look at the players you have listed...
Galchenyuk - his ability is being squandered by bad management
Drouin - Overrated and gave up a dman the team needed way more than him.
Hudon - like him but realistically he is a 3rd liner who plays on the second from time to time.
Mete - jury still out, could be a 2nr pairing dman or could be less
Scherbak - potential to be top 2 lines hope so
Lehkonen - 3rd liner
Juulsen - more "potential" most likely 2nd pairing maybe top pairing if they actually develop him well.
DLR - 4th line or even AHL
Poehling - too early to tell maybe a 3rd or outside chance for the second line.
Brook - way to early to predict anthing
Fleury see Brook
Evans - see also above
Vejdemo - see also above and 3 years out from his draft is still in Europe playing
Addison - really 7th rounder from 2015? Very small chance that he makes it.

Carry on with your negative way of thinking. We might as well fold our team from the league according to your standards. Even in a rebuild and a draft where we have a lot of picks in a deep draft, you are still not happy. I guess you think we need to be the Leafs. Stink for 10 years and then lose in the 1st round two years in a row when you finally make the playoffs.

The ripple effects from the 2008-2011 draft years are clearly still on your mind. You think what we did after 2011 is the same before 2011 which is BS!

- 24 months ago: Your mentality would be saying Lehkonen is a bust.

- 12 months ago: Your mentality would be saying Hudon, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, DLR are busts. Congratulations, you might be right with McCarron.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Carry on with your negative way of thinking. We might as well fold our team from the league according to your standards. Even in a rebuild and a draft where we have a lot of picks in a deep draft, you are still not happy. I guess you think we need to be the Leafs. Stink for 10 years and then lose in the 1st round two years in a row when you finally make the playoffs.

The ripple effects from the 2008-2011 draft years are clearly still on your mind. You think what we did after 2011 is the same before 2011 which is BS!

- 12 mouths ago: Your mentality would be saying Hudon, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, DLR are busts. Congratulations, you might be right with McCarron.

And as I have said before, take off your rose coloured glasses and actually look at the team and the organization. I am a realist that is old enough to have actually been in the stands in the Forum as a teenager to watch the team win the Cup. This team, its depth, etc. is nothing to write home about and if the current management remains in place, there is little chance that will change.

You mentality is that every prospect will be NHL regulars and half will be stars or superstars. Take off your rose colored glasses bub and have a real hard look at what the team actually has. Your expecting a 7th rounder to make the NHL when I think historically there is a 3 to 5% chance. If one player from the 7 round of a draft makes the league that is about normal. And the chances a star comes out of it is even slimmer. There have been a few but not many over 50 years of drafts.

We all want the team to win a Cup but the current environment leaves little hope it will be any time soon.

PS always been a fan of Hudon and feel he got shafted and should have been with the club last year but sure...

Reactions: Tighthead

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And as I have said before, take off your rose coloured glasses and actually look at the team and the organization. I am a realist that is old enough to have actually been in the stands in the Forum as a teenagers to watch the team win the Cup. This team, its depth, etc. is nothing to write home about and if the current management remains in place, there is little chance that will change.

You mentality is that every prospect will be NHL regulars and half will be stars or superstars. Take off your rose colored glasses bub and have a real hard look at what the team actually has. Your expecting a 7th rounder to make the NHL when I think historically there is a 3 to 5% chance. If one player from the 7 round of a draft makes the league that is about normal. And the chances a star comes out of it is even slimmer. There have been a few but not many over 50 years of drafts.

We all want the team to win a Cup but the current environment leaves little hope it will be any time soon.

PS always been a fan of Hudon and feel he got shafted and should have been with the club last year but sure...

Your age means nothing. I've watched just as much hockey as you have and I've seen games in the Forum as well. What does this mean? Nothing. A fan that has been watching only for the last 10 years could know just as much as you or I. Just cause you think you have been around and watched games, it don't mean others don't know anything. This "age" thing wins no debate.

Consider this. I am not saying our group is elite potential in 3 years. I'm trying to evaluate our direction and needs. However, you are already siding on the negative side and throwing them under the bus. Even the ones we haven't even drafted yet in the next draft! I've looked at the draft in depth for several years. I have done my homework. Those who said Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen were busts cause they hated our GM were wrong! And there are a lot of them! Hate towards our GM clouds where we truly stand IMO. For this reason alone, I want a change with our GM. It's getting annoying talking to others who are so quick to throw our team under the bus with pretty much every player and anything we may or may not do.

You can focus on the very few prospects I mentioned that were drafted in later rounds if you wish. I'm not counting on them playing in the top of the line-up and my roster depth chart shows this. You are arguing for the sake of arguing and cherry picking stupid things cause your cranky about how our season went. Sorry, not my style. I realized back in November that our season was lost. I went through a grieving process for a few weeks and I'm past it now. lol

Look forward, not back. There are things to look forward too. Imagine if we traded Sergachev and our 2017 1st for Duchene back in 2016? We would have no Drouin and no Poehling and left with Duchene for one year. There were many on these boards who wanted us to make that move cause they thought we were close! lol.

Our prospect pool has improved and it will continue to improve. This is not about hope. It's about probability based on quantity of picks. The more darts you have the better shot at hitting targets.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Your age means nothing. I've watched just as much hockey as you have and I've seen games in the Forum as well. What does this mean? Nothing. A fan that has been watching only for the last 10 years could know just as much as you or I. Just cause you think you have been around and watched games, it don't mean others don't know anything. This "age" thing wins no debate.

Consider this. I am not saying our group is elite potential in 3 years. I'm trying to evaluate our direction and needs. However, you are already siding on the negative side and throwing them under the bus. Even the ones we haven't even drafted yet in the next draft! I've looked at the draft in depth for several years. I have done my homework. Those who said Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen were busts cause they hated our GM were wrong! And there are a lot of them! Hate towards our GM clouds where we truly stand IMO. For this reason alone, I want a change with our GM. It's getting annoying talking to others who are so quick to throw our team under the bus with pretty much every player and anything we may or may not do.

You can focus on the very few prospects I mentioned that were drafted in later rounds if you wish. I'm not counting on them playing in the top of the line-up and my roster depth chart shows this. You are arguing for the sake of arguing and cherry picking stupid things cause your cranky about how our season went. Sorry, not my style. I realized back in November that our season was lost. I went through a grieving process for a few weeks and I'm past it now. lol

Look forward, not back. There are things to look forward too. Imagine if we traded Sergachev and our 2017 1st for Duchene back in 2016? We would have no Drouin and no Poehling and left with Duchene for one year. There were many on these boards who wanted us to make that move cause they thought we were close! lol.

Our prospect pool has improved and it will continue to improve. This is not about hope. It's about probability based on quantity of picks. The more darts you have the better shot at hitting targets.

Dude get a life. I mentioned that not about age only to say that I've see this team win and know what it takes to win and the organization does not have it right now.

Wow you are some hockey genius...While I don't think they are all busts by any stretch, how do you know Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen won't be busts? Not exactly like they have played much NHL hockey. Lehkonen had a really bad season overall so he really needs to get back to what he had before. I've already said I like Hudon. I worry they brought Mete up too early and the fact that he is small hurts him on defence. Some guys can have great careers as small dman but not that many. If he continues to play with Weber and picks up good habits that will help him a lot. I still hold out a lot of hope for Scherbak and Juulsen.

And you are lying about you saying as early November that the season was lost. You have had rose colored glasses on since the summer and into the new year. A number of us could see that the team was trouble after the amateur draft and if you are such a good hockey guy with so much knowledge how come you didn't see it?

Who wants Drouin? He is overrated and has a history attitude issues. I much prefer having the dman we lost to get him. You know the guy with the great rookie season that is continuing that run in the playoffs? Only one year but he looks damn good.

If the play in Laval is any sign, the prospect pool is bare bones.

I'll remain skeptical until this organization shows that it can develop talent and not make stupid trades giving up better your talent to a quick fix that does not work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dude get a life. I mentioned that not about age only to say that I've see this team win and know what it takes to win and the organization does not have it right now.

Wow you are some hockey genius...While I don't think they are all busts by any stretch, how do you know Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen won't be busts? Not exactly like they have played much NHL hockey. Lehkonen had a really bad season overall so he really needs to get back to what he had before. I've already said I like Hudon. I worry they brought Mete up too early and the fact that he is small hurts him on defence. Some guys can have great careers as small dman but not that many. If he continues to play with Weber and picks up good habits that will help him a lot. I still hold out a lot of hope for Scherbak and Juulsen.

And you are lying about you saying as early November that the season was lost. You have had rose colored glasses on since the summer and into the new year. A number of us could see that the team was trouble after the amateur draft and if you are such a good hockey guy with so much knowledge how come you didn't see it?

Who wants Drouin? He is overrated and has a history attitude issues. I much prefer having the dman we lost to get him. You know the guy with the great rookie season that is continuing that run in the playoffs? Only one year but he looks damn good.

If the play in Laval is any sign, the prospect pool is bare bones.

I'll remain skeptical until this organization shows that it can develop talent and not make stupid trades giving up better your talent to a quick fix that does not work.

Go the the Bergevin thread if you are cranky about him still. This thread was created to project how we look in 3 years and who you think we draft in the next draft. Don't care if it's with Bergevin or without.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
1. Trade Pacioretty to Florida for Borgstrom (This is a good one-to-one trade)
2. Trade Galchenyuk for Puljujarvi (Both players could use a change. We could use a bit more grit, and Edm could use a scoring winger like Galchenyuk)
3. Draft Zadina this year
4. Tank next year and draft one of the many great centers that will be available in June 2019

Starting lineup 2021-2022

Zadina-Poehling-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Borgstrom-Puljujarvi
Drouin-2019pick-Scherbak

Not sure which of these lines would be best, but they would be fun to watch at least. This core would still be a few years away from their peak, but they could be good by then.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
1)Pac + Byron + 3rd overall draft pick to Islanders for 11th and 12th overall pick in 2018 + Nick Leddy + Anthony Beauvillier
2)Pick Kotkaniemi 11th and Veleno 12th.
3) Skip 3 years.

Line up in 3 years, with (age of player in 2021):

Drouin (26) - Kotkaniemi (20) - Gallagher (28)
Galchy (27) - Veleno (21) - Sherbak (25)
Hudon (26) - Poehling (22) - Beauvillier (23)
X - Danault (28) - Lekhonen (25)

Leddy (30) - Weber (35)
Mete (22) - Juulsen (23)
Brook (22) - Lernout (25)
Alzner (32)

Price (33)
Mc Niven (23)

Average age of team: 25.8
Average age of Forwards: 24.6
Average age of D: 27

A lot of things have to fall into to place for this plan to work...it's a gamble.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Go the the Bergevin thread if you are cranky about him still. This thread was created to project how we look in 3 years and who you think we draft in the next draft. Don't care if it's with Bergevin or without.
So you seriously thing Bergevin is doing a good or at least passable job? Really?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you seriously thing Bergevin is doing a good or at least passable job? Really?

I've been on record many times over the last few months... We have a struggling GM who has made several questionable moves in the last two off seasons but he has not mortgage our future. I do respect that he has not traded any picks for short term gain so he can keep his job. That is important with me. However, he is on a thin thread and this summer will dictate if he continues as our GM or if he is fired.

What do we do for his "retool" comment. Hope that don't mean more Alzner type contracts. I rather focus on youth and another Tank year. I support going after Tavares. If we are able to get Tavares, I do think we should go all in and go after other impact players. If we are not able to get Tavares, Let the kids play which includes both Drouin and Galchenyuk at center

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I've been on record many times over the last few months... We have a struggling GM who has made several questionable moves in the last two off seasons but he has not mortgage our future. I do respect that he has not traded any picks for short term gain so he can keep his job. That is important with me. However, he is on a thin thread and this summer will dictate if he continues as our GM or if he is fired.

What do we do for his "retool" comment. Hope that don't mean more Alzner type contracts. I rather focus on youth and another Tank year. I support going after Tavares. If we are able to get Tavares, I do think we should go all in and go after other impact players. If we are not able to get Tavares, Let the kids play which includes both Drouin and Galchenyuk at center

Bull, he trade Sergachev a potential number 1 defenseman for another weak perimeter winger. That trade was horrible and made because JD was french. We lost three years of youth in that trade as well. It was a horrible trade for a player that Tampa couldn't protect in the entry draft. Horrible!!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bull, he trade Sergachev a potential number 1 defenseman for another weak perimeter winger. That trade was horrible and made because JD was french. We lost three years of youth in that trade as well. It was a horrible trade for a player that Tampa couldn't protect in the entry draft. Horrible!!!

Not a horrible trade. Sergachev is a potential #1D and Drouin is a potential top line player who can score and make plays. Bergevin is guilty of trading with cup contenders where the player he trades looks even better with the other teams roster while the player he acquires drowns cause we have holes in the line-up.

Tampa couldn't protect Drouin? Come on man! Tampa only traded Drouin due to cap space and they didn't want to lose assets in the expansion draft. If Drouin was not traded, he would of been protected. 90% of the fans on these boards loved that deal when it went down. Now 90% think Drouin is a bum. Give the kid a break... We won't know his true potential until we get a #1C and fill the holes in our roster.

Zadina vs Drouin vs Sergachev vs Boqvist or Hughes. According to your standards, We should draft Boqvist or Hughes because they will be for sure #1D while Zadina will turn into a bum cause he is not a center.

Looking forward to this thread turning into a Bergevin thread :facepalm:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not a horrible trade. Sergachev is a potential #1D and Drouin is a potential top line player who can score and make plays. Bergevin is guilty of trading with cup contenders where the player he trades looks even better with the other teams roster while the player he acquires drowns cause we have holes in the line-up.

Tampa couldn't protect Drouin? Come on man! Tampa only traded Drouin due to cap space and they didn't want to lose assets in the expansion draft. If Drouin was not traded, he would of been protected. 90% of the fans on these boards loved that deal when it went down. Now 90% think Drouin is a bum. Give the kid a break... We won't know his true potential until we get a #1C and fill the holes in our roster.

Zadina vs Drouin vs Sergachev vs Boqvist or Hughes. According to your standards, We should draft Boqvist or Hughes because they will be for sure #1D while Zadina will turn into a bum cause he is not a center.

Looking forward to this thread turning into a Bergevin thread :facepalm:

You are totally off and won't take off your rose colored glasses. A good GM does not trade a top flight dman prospect knowing his defence is extremely thin already and has no puck moving defenseman. He does not compound that error by trading said dman for a whinny winger who he wants to play center when the team needs a real center.

He gave up two picks for Shaw and then overpaid him. He then got two lower picks for Eller who would be better to have than Shaw.

Signing contracts like Alzner's and Price's is mortgaging our future in today's NHL with a cap. I love Price, amazing goalie but making the hard choice of trading him instead of giving him $10.5M a year for 8 years, too much for a goalie no matter how good, was I guess beyond him. And Alzner's deal is just plain dumb. An average dman who is already breaking down physically and will only get worse with each passing year.

So making a projection on a lineup, that in your case has a ton of draft picks that the Habs likely will not even have on the table at those picks (other than at 3rd overall) is really pointless. It becomes even more pointless when you consider how volatile the GM can be with his moves.

Your OP shows your best case scenario that does not take many factors into question.

Last edited:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
You are totally off and won't take off your rose colored glasses. A good GM does not trade a top flight dman prospect knowing his defence is extremely this already and has no puck moving defenseman. He does not compound that error by trading said dman for a whinny winger who he wants to play center when the team needs a real center.

He gave up two picks for Shaw and then overpaid him. He then got two lower picks for Eller who would be better to have than Shaw.

Signing contracts like Alzner's and Price's is mortgaging our future in today's NHL with a cap. I love Price, amazing goalie but making the hard choice of trading him instead of giving him $10.5M a year for 8 years, too much for a goalie no matter how good, was I guess beyond him. And Alzner's deal is just plain dumb. An average dman who is already breaking down physically and will only get worse with each passing year.

So making a projection on a lineup, that in your case has a ton of draft picks that the Habs likely will not even have on the table at those picks (other than at 3rd overall) is really pointless. It becomes even more pointless when you consider how volatile the GM can be with his moves.

Your OP shows your best case scenario that does not take many factors into question.

He completely destroyed the defense in the 2017 offseason. Just a complete nuke job.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

- 12 months ago: Your mentality would be saying Hudon, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, DLR are busts. Congratulations, you might be right with McCarron.

I don't see any players being called a bust in the post that you're replying to. A few "too early" comments, which isn't the same thing.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

Ummm... right now Lekkonen looks like more of a potential bust than a top 6 player...
DLR is at best a 4th liner which is a disappointment.
Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak could all go either way. Mete is off to a good start but he is seriously undersized for a D.

Also you mentioned above what we could GET for Alzner? I think you need to be realistic. You want to move Alzner it's about what else we are willing to GIVE. We are not getting for him....

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ummm... right now Lekkonen looks like more of a potential bust than a top 6 player...
DLR is at best a 4th liner which is a disappointment.
Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak could all go either way. Mete is off to a good start but he is seriously undersized for a D.

Also you mentioned above what we could GET for Alzner? I think you need to be realistic. You want to move Alzner it's about what else we are willing to GIVE. We are not getting for him....

Unless he has a huge turnaround and if he does I'd trade him without hesitation before he comes back down.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Unless he has a huge turnaround and if he does I'd trade him without hesitation before he comes back down.

We have a better chance at signing Tavares than Alzner suddenly having a turnaround. He has steadily declined... and that was before Bergevin went full idiot and signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00