What do you want in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
If Plekanec was playing with Begin, he'd probably be crying himself to sleep and wondering what he did to the coach to be put on a line with Steve Begin.

Sorry, my french kicked in. When I talk about motivation, its in fact energy. playing with Clarkson can probably give a boost of energy to Plek. And its probably what the poster wanted to say. For exemple, playing with Clarkson give more energy then playing with Penner......

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
All this Perry/Getzlaf talk is driving me nuts. I'd love to see both players in Montreal but I doubt it would happen. Perry is a low key guy, likes the quiet aspect of being a star in a small market. If he leaves Anaheim, it's definitely not for the jungle of Montreal/NYR/TOR/etc. Getlaf if a guaranteed sign for the Ducks. Why would they let him go? Size, smarts, leadership, talent, etc. He's also expressed publicly his intentions to stay.
What we need to look at in two other FWD's and one D with size.
1. Most importantly, Ryane Clowe of the Sharks. He's got size, can put the back of the net and knows what it is to play hockey in Quebec (played in the Q for Rimouski). UFA this summer. He's having a rough start for the Sharks this season and needs a change. I can easily seeing him score 50-60 points with Plekanec, Galchenyuk or Desharnais, depending on what you're line up is to start next season. Honestly I'd have traded for him instead of Ryder, even though the latter's got something good going for him right now. Let's just hope that keep going on in with the BleuBlancRouge.
Im sure everyone has seem this video. Great team player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Q37WaOl0A

2. If that fails, David Clarkson is another guy similar to Clowe who is very hot right now and UFA this summer. Similar style and size, but with a little less points banked up throughout his career. He killing right now and had a good season last year (breakthrough year), but was a 3rd liner prior to that for the Devils. Here's how he scores most of his goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkG2r_OTp8

3. On the blue line, Douglas Murray. He's very physical and drop people on the daily, similar to what Emelin is doing for us right now, though Murray is much bigger. He'd be a perfect 5-6th D for any team looking for physicality and defence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bLieLA4cw

I guess well see how Ryder performs but I'd prefer Clarkson and Clowe over him any day.

Clowe/Clarkson/Ryder - Desharnais - Pacioretty
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Bourque
Gionta - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Moen
perhaps Armstrong, or Dumont or some other FA/Trade as 13th

Subban Gorges
Diaz Markov
Emelin Murray

and as 7th I doubt Weber will be back but who knows. Probable Tinordi though.

That's my 2 cents.

PricePkPatch*

All this Perry/Getzlaf talk is driving me nuts. I'd love to see both players in Montreal but I doubt it would happen. Perry is a low key guy, likes the quiet aspect of being a star in a small market. If he leaves Anaheim, it's definitely not for the jungle of Montreal/NYR/TOR/etc. Getlaf if a guaranteed sign for the Ducks. Why would they let him go? Size, smarts, leadership, talent, etc. He's also expressed publicly his intentions to stay.

That depends on how Therrien will make his pitch. Maybe we can bring him onboard anyway.

Therrien has been gold for us in term of player motivation so far, I am willing to trust him on that too.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If MB wants to go after Perry, he should get rid of Gionta.

We have enough cap space ALREADY for perry, when giontas 5 mill comes off the books (however it happens) will only be a big fat bonus

can you imagine , replacing gionta's 5 mill spot with a perry at 7-8 mill, ...only paying 3 mill more possibly to have a star player

i really think bergevin goes after perry hard, bigtime

we have the space already and thats COUNTING gionta+kaberle 9.5 million, ..thats insane

do it marc.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
perry would go to toronto not montreal unfortunately

toronto is the only team standing in our way for this to happen i think

his parents/family live in toronto and carlyle was his coach when he won the cup so they have that too

but i think if we offer enough cash + he liked the habs growing up + were hopefully not finishing dead last, all this plays well for us

(let toronto go after getzlaf or something, we dont need centers nemore)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Haha Toronto is always the hurdle in Free Agency. When was the last time Toronto actually got a big free agent? I'm pretty sure Montreal has scooped up bigger name free agents than them. We got Cammalleri, Gionta, Hamrlik, Cole, what was the last big Toronto free agency signing? Jason Blake? Tim Connolly? Please.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
When I look at the top UFA forwards coming up in the next couple of years I get excited at the idea of us landing one of those big fish. Thing is, if you step back its not so rosy. Its not like the NHL of years ago where you had guys regularly hitting 40-50 goals a year fairly reliably. Look at some big guns that got signed not so long ago, like Kovalchuk, Hossa, ,Parise last year, they are getting big money ( though Hossa is a deal ) and they are getting like $6-8 M a year and on pace for maybe 30-35 goals. The guys coming up as UFA for the most part had one or two great seasons and were drooling for them. Dont know, is it better to have Cole and Patches at $9M scoring about 70 goals between then than say a Corey Perry hitting 35-40 goals at $8M ? I actually think Id be happier to get a guy who can score 30 but bring another element, like hitting ie Clarkson ( I know hes lighting it up this year ). Were doing pretty well rolling 3 offensive tilted lines, maybe we should focus on being able to do that, sign our own RFAs and stay away from the mega-contract for who we think will continue to be a gamebreaker. Dont know, just thinking out loud.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if anyone watch Bergevin on Rejean tremblay's show? Sorry to break it to everyone, Bergevin is not a big fan of UFA's. Said he would only dabble if the team is ready to win the cup and could add a piece that fills a hole.

Big believer in building from the draft - as the Hawks have, Hawks did add Hossa, but they were ready to win and they did. Also Perry is a riskier player than Hossa who does much more than just score.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Not sure if anyone watch Bergevin on Rejean tremblay's show? Sorry to break it to everyone, Bergevin is not a big fan of UFA's. Said he would only dabble if the team is ready to win the cup and could add a piece that fills a hole.

Big believer in building from the draft - as the Hawks have, Hawks did add Hossa, but they were ready to win and they did. Also Perry is a riskier player than Hossa who does much more than just score.

Good to hear he believes in the draft. That said, if Perry's agent went to Bergevin and said, "Perry wants to be a Montreal Canadien", Bergevin will pay up.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
Jose Theodore

With the way Jose is playing so far, do you think we should part ways with Peter and sign him? He would arguably be the best backup in the league and could even challenge Carey for #1 spot.

What do you think?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Yes the Blackhawks built from the draft, but expecting to duplicate a team that was terrible for so long because their owner was cheap is not exactly a model to follow. And even with Kane and Toews, without signing Hossa, the Hawks wouldn't be what they are.

I agree with building through the draft. But the Habs are the one of the richest teams in the league. Being afraid to sign free agents doesn't make sense in this market.

If Bergevin is saying we follow the Blackhawks model of cutting payroll for a decade and only becoming a contender after you almost destroy the franchise, we are in trouble.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
With the way Jose is playing so far, do you think we should part ways with Peter and sign him? He would arguably be the best backup in the league and could even challenge Carey for #1 spot.

What do you think?

I agree with everything but challenging Carey for #1 job :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad