What do you want in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I know that. But I want him to tell me why he thinks so. Give him enough rope to hand himself.

Gionta is paid too much to be "a hard worker" and waste top6 minutes with Perry in the fold. Simple as that.

Yes he's my spacegoat for the year but that doesn't mean that his caphit will be manageable with 7-8m added on by Perry. Gionta doesn't bring nearly enough anything to be on the roster in a top6 role, and he'll be overpaid by at least 2m if he's playing 3rd line minutes.

Bourque - Pleks - Perry
Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

leaves no room for Brain "work ethic" Gionta. Then there's Eller and Desharnais knocking at the door, and Desharnais has a tendency to only work with Pacioretty so that leaves:

Bourque - Pleks - Perry
Patches - Desharnais - xXxXxX
xXxXxX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

And you can't have Gionta play next to DD OR Gallagher for any extended period of time because they'd get wrecked eventually so that kinda forces your hand into:

Patches - Desharnais - Perry
Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Even though the DD line will get run over defensively, the Pleks line will struggle offensively and the Gallys will deserve more icetime... leading to a demotion:

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - Pleks - Gionta

Would you spend ~12M on the 3rd line, when your first line can't handle any defensive duties and your second line is green as hell? No.

Gionta doesn't fit.

PricePkPatch*

Gionta is paid too much to be "a hard worker" and waste top6 minutes with Perry in the fold. Simple as that.

Okay. First of all, that argument is just plain stupid. You can have both without much problem, and your argument that he would "waste top6 minutes" is just... Pejorative Slur.

Yes he's my spacegoat for the year but that doesn't mean that his caphit will be manageable with 7-8m added on by Perry.

It's SCAPEGOAT. Repeat and spellcheck: SCAPEGOAT.

Also, we have more than enough cap space to accomodate a 8-9m Perry next season with Gionta in the lineup. We just have to NO sign Gionta in 2014 summer when his contract expires.

Gionta doesn't bring nearly enough anything to be on the roster in a top6 role, and he'll be overpaid by at least 2m if he's playing 3rd line minutes.

Who cares that he is an "overpaid 3rd liner"? The more depth the better. Gionta is not producing in our current Top6, but he is hardly a liability to this team and helps Plek shutdown top opposition.

All of this hasn't anything to do with the capacity to sign Perry.

Bourque - Pleks - Perry

leaves no room for Brain "work ethic" Gionta. Then there's Eller and Desharnais knocking at the door, and Desharnais has a tendency to only work with Pacioretty so that leaves:

Bourque - Pleks - Perry

And you can't have Gionta play next to DD OR Gallagher for any extended period of time because they'd get wrecked eventually so that kinda forces your hand into:

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Even though the DD line will get run over defensively, the Pleks line will struggle offensively and the Gallys will deserve more icetime... leading to a demotion:

Moen - Pleks - Gionta

Would you spend ~12M on the 3rd line, when your first line can't handle any defensive duties and your second line is green as hell? No.

Gionta doesn't fit.

All of these lines are just pulled right out of your ass and hardly make your argument. It doesn't change the fact that Gionta hasn't proved to be a liability in our Top 6 line, even if he isn't producing. Adding Perry to the Team would knock him down the Depth chart, which is all the better.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Yes he's my spacegoat for the year but that doesn't mean that his caphit will be manageable with 7-8m added on by Perry. Gionta doesn't bring nearly enough anything to be on the roster in a top6 role, and he'll be overpaid by at least 2m if he's playing 3rd line minutes.

Bourque - Pleks - Perry

Bourque - Pleks - Perry

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Moen - Pleks - Gionta

Gionta doesn't fit.

You did that on purpose, right? lol

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Okay. First of all, that argument is just plain stupid. You can have both without much problem, and your argument that he would "waste top6 minutes" is just... Pejorative Slur.

Also, we have more than enough cap space to accomodate a 8-9m Perry next season with Gionta in the lineup. We just have to NO sign Gionta in 2014 summer when his contract expires.

Who cares that he is an "overpaid 3rd liner"? The more depth the better. Gionta is not producing in our current Top6, but he is hardly a liability to this team and helps Plek shutdown top opposition.

We're in a salary cap world.

5M for a guy who'll be on the 3rd line is way too much. Gallagher might definitely pass him on the depth chart sooner or later.

And quite a few players will need a raise then : Subban, Diaz, Eller.

Keeping Gionta with Perry here, with a big salary, is a big no-no as far as im concerned.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's only 60 minutes in a game. Only so many o-zone starts, so many d-zone starts, only so much PP time, etc. Gionta can't get it done at an acceptable rate on the PP (haha) or on the top line. Leaving him in the middle 6, which he'll be surpassed by Patches, DD, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Therefore: 3rd line at best.

That's what I said. Spacegoat. What's the problem?

The cap is going down to 64m, there is no way Gionta AND Perry fit in - no way.

All of this hasn't anything to do with the capacity to sign Perry.
You're ignoring reality. You can't have a top6 with 3 players under 5'8" nor a 5m third-liner. End of story.

All of these lines are just pulled right out of your ass and hardly make your argument. It doesn't change the fact that Gionta hasn't proved to be a liability in our Top 6 line, even if he isn't producing. Adding Perry to the Team would knock him down the Depth chart, which is all the better.
If you can't refute the arguments, you're not worth arguing with. If you add Perry and don't remove anyone else - Gionta doesn't fit at all. If you can't see that, then you don't really understand to much, now do you?

You did that on purpose, right? lol
Did what? Gionta's my spacegoat for 2013.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
There's only 60 minutes in a game. Only so many o-zone starts, so many d-zone starts, only so much PP time, etc. Gionta can't get it done at an acceptable rate on the PP (haha) or on the top line. Leaving him in the middle 6, which he'll be surpassed by Patches, DD, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Therefore: 3rd line at best.

That's what I said. Spacegoat. What's the problem?

You're ignoring reality. You can't have a top6 with 3 players under 5'8" nor a 5m third-liner. End of story.

If you can't refute the arguments, you're not worth arguing with. If you add Perry and don't remove anyone else - Gionta doesn't fit at all. If you can't see that, then you don't really understand to much, now do you?

Did what? Gionta's my spacegoat for 2013.

It's not very confusing to look at capgeek and look at some of potential rosters posted here that there is about 8m available to sign Perry after buying out Kaberle and only losing Ryder from the current team.

Next year Gionta plays out his contract and is most likely not resigned and if so at nothing near 5m.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
It's not very confusing to look at capgeek and look at some of potential rosters posted here that there is about 8m available to sign Perry after buying out Kaberle and only losing Ryder from the current team.

Next year Gionta plays out his contract and is most likely not resigned and if so at nothing near 5m.

Depending on his play this year I'd prefer Ryder as a winger behind perry instead of Gionta, Ryder is cheaper and bigger so tired of the smurfs

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
How about taking a chance on Malhotra for the 4th line center position? I was always a fan of his for his role but injuries lately have made him very risky. But with the injuries you can probably get him at a nice discount. He is great in the dot and a strong PKer. It would be nice to have someone that you can rely on in cruch time to win that faceoff.

hogtownhabsfan*

That makes ... sense.

Yea, Moen is an odd man out right now, and Anaheim love their smooth skating D.

As for Free Agency? Give me Vanek!

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek
Bourque-Eller-Galchenyuk
Moen-Pleks-Gionta
Prust-White-?????

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You're right and wrong at the same time if you'd ask me.
It all depends on your assumption.

True, we can't have a top 6 with 3 players under 5'8".......and you can't have a $5M player on the third line.

My assumption is that Galchenyuk will taker the top 6 center position in the next year or so. Plekanec is as usefull as can be, playing against top offensive line (no other center with the Habs can do that right now)

So therefore...will you paid Desharnais 4m-5M to be put sooner than later on the
3rd line?

Perry plays top minutes, against the top offensive line......DD can't do that, so his Pacioretty.....why built your line that way??

Gionta might not worth his contract, might not be needed if Perry comes in.....but Gionta got the advantage to be able to shutdown big opponent lines.

Here's a formation for you, with Perry and Gionta:

Bourque - Plekanec - Perry
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller - Gionta

The third line as the ability to shutdown big lines, and produce offensively.
Size is there, speed, and special units are covered!!

Gionta got one more years on his contract......That money will be used to signe Subban and/or Eller and/or Diaz and/or Emelin long term.

Gionta and Perry is not really a problem....but with DD's new contract....there's a real problem!!!

Perry or DD, you're choices!!
Cause if the Habs gets Perry and sign DD long term.....there would be no money left to sign thoses players!!

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
How about taking a chance on Malhotra for the 4th line center position? I was always a fan of his for his role but injuries lately have made him very risky. But with the injuries you can probably get him at a nice discount. He is great in the dot and a strong PKer. It would be nice to have someone that you can rely on in cruch time to win that faceoff.

Pretty risky, his career looks to be done because of damage to his eye.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Perry or DD, you're choices!!
Cause if the Habs gets Perry and sign DD long term.....there would be no money left to sign thoses players!!

Probably the best rhetorical (and false) question asked since the last week.

Nobody will agree to keep DD at 5 millions anyways, so find another argument to toss a center in order to sign a RWer... when we have an overpaid RW.

Besides, I think everybody figured that you're a monoissue poster anyways.

Last edited:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
These are the moves I like to do:

-trade Gionta back to NJ
-let Ryder, Armstrong, Nokelainen, Bouillon walk
-buyout Kaberle
-resign Budaj

That should free up about $18+4=22 million cap room
-sign Clowe $5.5 mil/yr 5
-sign Clarkson $5.5 mil/yr 5
Use the remaining to resign our players.

I didn't put Getzalf and Perry because I don't think we have a chance of signing them.

Unlikely to happen but this would change the dynamic of our team.
-trade Desharnais for puckmoving dman (x)

Lines:
Clowe-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (Clowe would make room for Gally and Chuck)
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Clarkson (Clarkson would give Plek more heart)
Bourque-Eller-Prust (putting Bourque in a situation that he doesn't need to thrive)
Moen-White-Dumont (I think Dumont has a little Marchaud in him)

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Diaz-(x) dman obtained from Desharnais trade
Weber

Price
Budaj

Notice each line has someone who will crash the net? Gally, Clarkson, Prust, Dumont.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Probably the best rhetorical (and false) question asked since the last week.

Nobody will agree to keep DD at 5 millions anyways, so find another argument to toss a center in order to sign a RWer... when we have an overpaid RW.

Besides, I think everybody figured that you're a monoissue poster anyways.

I won't argue that i don't want this team to build around the smallest center in the entire league...been there, done that, don't want to go back....really simple actually. And that i write a lot about it.

As for the RW....in my opinion we already need one to replace Ryder/Cole.
If Gionta is out....then we need two RWer, not only one.

As i look at the players we need to sign in the near future, there's one things clear to me....we might only have one good long-term contract to give away this summer.

The best thing going on this year is that we have 3 lines that can scored....
Without Ryder and Gionta....we have a problem.

If DD's asking a reasonnable contract , i don't mind keeping him...but his numbers suggest otherwise.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I won't argue that i don't want this team to build around the smallest center in the entire league...been there, done that, don't want to go back....really simple actually. And that i write a lot about it.

Building around DD would mean he'd be the first center.
Another rhetorical affirmation made to mislead others. Congratz, dude.

Besides, for the salary...

See Burrows, Alex.

And DD could always be moved to wing if need there be. In which case, we wouldn't build around a small center. But let me guess... You'd prefer Gionta at 5M than DD at 2.3M?

What I expected.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
These are the moves I like to do:

-trade Gionta back to NJ
-let Ryder, Armstrong, Nokelainen, Bouillon walk
-buyout Kaberle
-resign Budaj

That should free up about $18+4=22 million cap room
-sign Clowe $5.5 mil/yr 5
-sign Clarkson $5.5 mil/yr 5
Use the remaining to resign our players.

I didn't put Getzalf and Perry because I don't think we have a chance of signing them.

Unlikely to happen but this would change the dynamic of our team.
-trade Desharnais for puckmoving dman (x)

Lines:
Clowe-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (Clowe would make room for Gally and Chuck)
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Clarkson (Clarkson would give Plek more heart)
Bourque-Eller-Prust (putting Bourque in a situation that he doesn't need to thrive)
Moen-White-Dumont (I think Dumont has a little Marchaud in him)

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Diaz-(x) dman obtained from Desharnais trade
Weber

Price
Budaj

Notice each line has someone who will crash the net? Gally, Clarkson, Prust, Dumont.

Wow. Both Clarkson and Clowe at $5.5 million is CRAZY. Clarkson is good but he is not worth $5.5 million. He's NEVER scored more than 46 points in 1 season.

And how does a player give another player more heart???? Surgery???

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Yea, Moen is an odd man out right now, and Anaheim love their smooth skating D.

As for Free Agency? Give me Vanek!

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek
Bourque-Eller-Galchenyuk
Moen-Pleks-Gionta
Prust-White-?????

Well he's only going to be available in 2014-15 and I doubt we could pay more than what Buffalo will be offering by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad