What do you want in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes the Blackhawks built from the draft, but expecting to duplicate a team that was terrible for so long because their owner was cheap is not exactly a model to follow. And even with Kane and Toews, without signing Hossa, the Hawks wouldn't be what they are.

I agree with building through the draft. But the Habs are the one of the richest teams in the league. Being afraid to sign free agents doesn't make sense in this market.

If Bergevin is saying we follow the Blackhawks model of cutting payroll for a decade and only becoming a contender after you almost destroy the franchise, we are in trouble.

It isnt about not spending the money, its about how it is spread around. My belief is you first must be able to sign your own guys, sometimes you get deals like Patches, but after that, if you are looking at bringing help, do you spend big money on a top name ? Is it really worth it ? Sure if like the Hawks you think you are a certain guy away from a Cup, you go for it and sign a UFA to be rental. Dont think we are there yet, but do we try for a big fish to land as a multi-year roster guy ?

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
We ned to sign a big size center. To go along with Eller and Galchenyuk has our top 3 center of the future. My christmas wish list is Ryan Getzlaf

Peace

Jan 21, 2010
about theo, i doubt he wants to come back to MTL with what the medias did to him.Besides, Budaj so far is doing just fine

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It isnt about not spending the money, its about how it is spread around. My belief is you first must be able to sign your own guys, sometimes you get deals like Patches, but after that, if you are looking at bringing help, do you spend big money on a top name ? Is it really worth it ? Sure if like the Hawks you think you are a certain guy away from a Cup, you go for it and sign a UFA to be rental. Dont think we are there yet, but do we try for a big fish to land as a multi-year roster guy ?

I agree with this concept and the attempt to build through free agent superstars like the Rangers used to do usually doesn't work, but I do think when the opportunity arises to bring in top line talent you should look into it at the very least. I believe in a home grown core, but Bergevin trying to copy the Blackhawks directly - a team that was awful for a decade and not because of intent, will only lead to a cycle of failure. You don't want to be the Flames, but you don't want to be the Oilers either.

Don't sign a FA for the sake of signing one, but Perry is a perfect fit and I understand throwing money at him. Likewise if someone like Semin could be had at a decent price for his unfair reputation, also worth a look. But don't give Semin Perry type money just because you can, and don't then panic and sign your 4th choice either.

Semin/Perry and Clowe replacing Gionta and Ryder.

This is basically the dream right here.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Clarkson + perry

Sploosh.

archer-total-sploosh.gif

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
Semin could very well get lazy if given a long contract plus he can't punch and fight to save his own life lol.

Clarkson is the tough scoring winger we need not Clowe who has slowed down this year. Perry would be even better fit but every single team will be throwing money at him.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Clowe...Perry...a heavyweight who can play...and a big bruising d-man...but he may have to come via trade...or just bring up tinordi. and resign ryder...and get rid of kaberle...and i hate to say it but gionta as well...he's been replaced by gallagher. there's only room for one undersized winger on this team.

maybe we can trade gionta for clowe with the down year he is having...i mean...if your willing to give gomez a chance.:laugh:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Ryan Getzlaf and Cory Perry.

But we really need David Clarkson and Ryne Clowe

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I agree with this concept and the attempt to build through free agent superstars like the Rangers used to do usually doesn't work, but I do think when the opportunity arises to bring in top line talent you should look into it at the very least. I believe in a home grown core, but Bergevin trying to copy the Blackhawks directly - a team that was awful for a decade and not because of intent, will only lead to a cycle of failure. You don't want to be the Flames, but you don't want to be the Oilers either.

Don't sign a FA for the sake of signing one, but Perry is a perfect fit and I understand throwing money at him. Likewise if someone like Semin could be had at a decent price for his unfair reputation, also worth a look. But don't give Semin Perry type money just because you can, and don't then panic and sign your 4th choice either.

This is basically the dream right here.

Bang on in not settling . Gainey had thought we needed a big Centre and had gone after guys like Vinny and Arnott, then we ended up with Gomez. Absolute desperation move and absolutly he settled for plan D. Not a UFA signing but principle applies. I dont see MB as a signing the 4th choice kind of guy, I get the feeling if he has a certain kind of player in mind hell be patient and try to add a high quality player be it through UFA or trade if such a guy isnt in the system. Its year 1 for him, he has time to find the right pieces he wants.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Just to make sure, after buying out Kaberle (supposing so) this off season, the team should have ~17Million Cap space right?

So with the cap going down, it should give Bergevin around 12 Million to resign players if I'm correct. Supposing that MB will want to give young players a good chance. (I doubt he replaces position-for-position every free agent that leaves by signing another one) that gives him some money to resign the RFA's and a substantial amount of money to sign some quality free agents

hogtownhabsfan*

Clowe...Perry...a heavyweight who can play...and a big bruising d-man...but he may have to come via trade...or just bring up tinordi. and resign ryder...and get rid of kaberle...and i hate to say it but gionta as well...he's been replaced by gallagher. there's only room for one undersized winger on this team.

maybe we can trade gionta for clowe with the down year he is having...i mean...if your willing to give gomez a chance.:laugh:

I think it's safe to say Tinordi replaces Boullion next year.

I agree about Perry. Clowe would just be overkill. A legit heavy who can play has been on the wishlist forever. There aren't many though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If we can trade another big contract before July 1st...try for Getzlaf and Perry both? Both get 7 year 7.5 million per contracts. We have around 10m free now. If Kaberle is bought out and Ryder not re-signed.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Let's say M. Bergevin has around 15 million dollars that's free:

Correy Perry RW 6'03" 1st line
Alexander Semin RW 6'02" 1st line
David Clarkson RW 6'01" 1st/2nd line 27,5 M - 5,5 M / 5 year contract
Ryane Clowe LW 6'02" 2nd/3rd line 7,5 M - 3,75 M / 2 year contract
Viktor Stalberg LW 6'03" 2nd/3rd line
Bryan Bickell LW 6'04" 3rd line 9 M - 2,25 M / 4 year contract
Maxim Lapierre C 6'02" 4th line 4,4 M - 1,1 M / 4 Year contract
Patrick Bordeleau LW 6'06" 4th line 4 M - 0,800 M / 5 year contract
Tom Sestito LW 6'05" 4th line 1,6 M - 0,800 M / 2 year contract

Total: 14,2 million dollars

The bold ones are the ones I'd try to get my hands on and make this lineup

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Clarkson
Clowe - Plekanec - Gallagher/Eller
Bickell - Galchenyuk - Bourque/Prust
Bordeleau - Lapierre - Sestito
Extras: White / Dumont / Blunden / Who ever

I'll be honest and say I forgot about Prust, but what ever lol. Got 2 massive players (Bordeleau and Sestito) and 2 guys that can drop it anyday (Clowe + Bickell) and a beast (Clarkson)

Edit: That 4th line looks really badass to be honest :)!

Last edited:

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec

I'll be honest and say I forgot about Prust, but what ever lol. Got 2 massive players (Bordeleau and Sestito) and 2 guys that can drop it anyday (Clowe + Bickell) and a beast (Clarkson)

I feel like you're trying to change the team into the most physical team in the league in one summer... We have 16 forwards all nhl ready seems like a waste of money to sign all these guys when our biggest need a real elite scorer is left unsolved I'd agree with clarkson or close and either Bickel or bordeleau but we should use this money for true elite talent

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Good god :laugh: Try to be a little more realistic k?

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher/xxx
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust/Leblanc/Gallagher/xxx
Moen/Prust/xxx-White/Dumont-White/Prust/xxx

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Diaz

Price
Budaj/Xxx

Unless something drastic happens, that's what our team is goin to look like next season. Remember that Desharnais and Pacioretty are up for raises and you have to save for P.K the next season. Bordeleau-White-Prust would be totally awesome 4th line.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
First of all, I haven't checked with the D-men, that's why I mostly went along with the big guys up front. The problem with "elite" players, are their prices. I'd love to see Perry or Semin come to Montreal, but paying 7,5 to 8 or even 8,5 Millions per year for, give or take, 80 points is a bit expensive in my point of view. Look at Parise, the guy is good but he's not worth 7,5 M per year.

If I were to pick my "favorite" players out of those 6, I'd go with Clarkson, Bickell, Bordeleau and Lapierre. What I'm trying to achieve with these guys is not only bring their physical talents to the team, but also size the team up. Especially the 3rd and 4th line.

Good god :laugh: Try to be a little more realistic k?

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher/xxx
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust/Leblanc/Gallagher/xxx
Moen/Prust/xxx-White/Dumont-White/Prust/xxx

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Diaz

Price
Budaj/Xxx

Unless something drastic happens, that's what our team is goin to look like next season. Remember that Desharnais and Pacioretty are up for raises and you have to save for P.K the next season. Bordeleau-White-Prust would be totally awesome 4th line.

That's exactly the same team. Montreal needs more size and be more physique, I know I went overkill, but that's litteraly the same team (only Tinordi is new).

So if I go with only the 4 guys I named:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gallagher/Eller
Bickell - Galchenyuk - Prust
Bordeleau - Lapierre - White/Dumont
Extras: Blunden / Who ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad