What do you want in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes the Blackhawks built from the draft, but expecting to duplicate a team that was terrible for so long because their owner was cheap is not exactly a model to follow. And even with Kane and Toews, without signing Hossa, the Hawks wouldn't be what they are.

I agree with building through the draft. But the Habs are the one of the richest teams in the league. Being afraid to sign free agents doesn't make sense in this market.

If Bergevin is saying we follow the Blackhawks model of cutting payroll for a decade and only becoming a contender after you almost destroy the franchise, we are in trouble.

I'm just paraphrasing what he said in the interview. He does not believe in building through UFA's and that you build the team through the draft and use UFA to fill holes. He sees the UFA market as secondary. Prust is a perfect example of how he views the UFA market.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm just paraphrasing what he said in the interview. He does not believe in building through UFA's and that you build the team through the draft and use UFA to fill holes. He sees the UFA market as secondary. Prust is a perfect example of how he views the UFA market.

We've already built the team's core through the draft, mostly. This year's series of 2nd-rounders won't get us a star, nor will our late 1st-round pick, so this year's draft is a gap-filler, not a place to land our missing piece.

Last year was our perfect-storm for a top draft pick. This year appears to be the perfect-storm for a prime UFA. We seem to be clearing cap space for more than re-signings, so we may be preparing to invest in one star. Here's why we might get him: our stock is soaring as a legit contender. Players will like the idea of becoming part of an O6 team that's young and whose window is opening. We can pay with the big boys. If we're ever going to land a prime UFA, this year is it. Clarkson would be great. Also realistic. Perry would never have been possible, but maybe this is the year we have enough bait to get someone like him and make headlines on the UFA market.

If the goal is BPA, then the only place to go is through free agency.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
I think Clarkson would be a great signing. I think he would fit in well on our (what seems to be) 3 offensive line system. I could see him play with Chuckie. Yeah Clowe could fit the bill as well, but Clarkson has that extra little bit of sandpaper (Atleast in my eyes, maybe I just don't watch Clowe that much)

Like Bergevin said, when you make a signing or a trade, you look and say (Something around these lines) "Which role does this player fit in when we become a successfull/winning team? --- You don't build a winning team through free agency. You fill in spots that will help you get to the top and that will stay for a while, guys like Prust" (TVA Sports w/Rejean Tremblay @ Start of the video) and I'm not in MB's head, but if you look at the Prust signing, and the kind of players they had in Chicago, I wouldent be surprised if he angles David Clarkson this offseason. He fits in that Second/Third line offensive role with that extra bit of grit.

Last edited:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I know everyones dreaming about Perry or Getzlaf, i'd like to see one of them too but... am I the only one who dreams about Iginla? big strong right winger with a heart the size of 56 Kovalevs

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I'd rather get Jagr than Iginla. Just to make Plekanecs biggest wish come true, hahaha.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

Weren't the Habs bidding on Doan as well?

imisssaku

@imisssaku
Feb 11, 2012
twitter.com
A big, mean sob on d who ideally can scrap a bit. 3rd pairing but can fill in top 4 as needed. Easier said than done.

Tinordi is apparently having a pretty decent rookie season in the AHL, so... he could be that guy.

If Gionta gets moved, Clarkson on the RW would be so nice.

strutsboa

Jan 1, 2009
First of all, I haven't checked with the D-men, that's why I mostly went along with the big guys up front. The problem with "elite" players, are their prices. I'd love to see Perry or Semin come to Montreal, but paying 7,5 to 8 or even 8,5 Millions per year for, give or take, 80 points is a bit expensive in my point of view. Look at Parise, the guy is good but he's not worth 7,5 M per year.

If I were to pick my "favorite" players out of those 6, I'd go with Clarkson, Bickell, Bordeleau and Lapierre. What I'm trying to achieve with these guys is not only bring their physical talents to the team, but also size the team up. Especially the 3rd and 4th line.

That's exactly the same team. Montreal needs more size and be more physique, I know I went overkill, but that's litteraly the same team (only Tinordi is new).

So if I go with only the 4 guys I named:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Clarkson
Bourque - Plekanec - Gallagher/Eller
Bickell - Galchenyuk - Prust
Bordeleau - Lapierre - White/Dumont
Extras: Blunden / Who ever
So you want one of Gallagher/Eller off the starting lineup? :help:

Maybe we have different views, but in my book both are locks if they continue this way.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Clarkson
Bourque - Plekanec - Gallagher/Eller
Bickell - Galchenyuk - Prust
Bordeleau - Lapierre - White/Dumont
Extras: Blunden / Who ever

So we're going to get rid of one of Eller or Gallagher and have Galchenyuk centering Prust and Bickell? :help:

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Obviously that's without even considering that you want to offer a five year contract to a 4th line fighter with 20 NHL games so far in his career...

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

i'd really love to see Saku come back to play a role on the 3-4th line for 1-2 years, which would also give him the chance to retire a Canadiens as he should... but sadly, I don't think he should play on the 4th line, and he can't really push neither DD, Plekanec or Galchenyuk away (concidering that Galchenyuk plays his position, which would be preferable)

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Would Vincent Lecavalier be a good addition to this year’s new-look Canadiens?

Tom Jones of the Tampa Bay Times thinks so.

“The Lecavalier-to-Montreal rumors have swirled for years, but this season they actually make sense,†Jones writes. “The Canadiens are surprisingly at the top of the Eastern Conference entering today, have salary cap wiggle room and might do anything to win a Cup for the first time in 20 years. Lecavalier would make them a serious contender.â€

Lecavalier, who turns 33 in April, would have to waive a no-trade clause. And the Canadiens would be taking on a monster contract. Lecavalier signed an 11-year, $85-million deal with the Lightning that still has seven years remaining with an annual cap hit of $7.72 million.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/03/03/lecavalier-trade-talk-heats-up-again-in-tampa/

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010

“The Lecavalier-to-Montreal rumors have swirled for years, but this season they actually make sense,” Jones writes. “The Canadiens are surprisingly at the top of the Eastern Conference entering today, have salary cap wiggle room and might do anything to win a Cup for the first time in 20 years. Lecavalier would make them a serious contender.”

Lecavalier, who turns 33 in April, would have to waive a no-trade clause. And the Canadiens would be taking on a monster contract. Lecavalier signed an 11-year, $85-million deal with the Lightning that still has seven years remaining with an annual cap hit of $7.72 million.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/03/03/lecavalier-trade-talk-heats-up-again-in-tampa/

Maybe four years ago. You're picking up seven (seven!) years. No way man. Let it hand cuff the Lightning. Maybe they'll get contracted.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

“The Lecavalier-to-Montreal rumors have swirled for years, but this season they actually make sense,” Jones writes. “The Canadiens are surprisingly at the top of the Eastern Conference entering today, have salary cap wiggle room and might do anything to win a Cup for the first time in 20 years. Lecavalier would make them a serious contender.”

I wouldn't touch Lecavalier with a 40 foot pole.

Vinny hasn't been that great in the last couple of years , is not getting any younger and will be almost 40 when his contract expires. With the cap going down taking on that albatross is cap suicide. And it's not the 7.7m that bother me the most , it's the 7 years left. If he had only like 2 years left it would make him an interesting alternative target but 7 years at 7.7 is just.....no.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Maybe four years ago. You're picking up seven (seven!) years. No way man. Let it hand cuff the Lightning. Maybe they'll get contracted.
Yeah, as much as I think Lecavalier is still nearly worth the money today, and as much as I think it's generally easier to get around cap issues than some people seem to... this is still too much risk to take. We got out of the Gomez situation, and we don't ever want to go back. I wouldn't take Lecavalier in a trade for free. 7 years is just too much risk to take for a player his age.

If it was 3 years, I'd consider taking him. 7... no, there are other avenues to pursue... we can try to sign UFAs on shorter terms who can do as much to improve the team. Or younger UFAs with less risk. Etc. You can't guarantee you get the UFA, of course. But then, the team is doing fine with the current lineup anyway, so failing to get the UFA is not the end of the world either.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If we can't have Perry (one can dream), we need to grab Clowe or Horton (if Boston doesn't throw a buttload of cash at him)...Habs need a smashmouth Power Winger.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
I know everyones dreaming about Perry or Getzlaf, i'd like to see one of them too but... am I the only one who dreams about Iginla? big strong right winger with a heart the size of 56 Kovalevs
But wait...
56 x 0 = 0
:sarcasm:

PricePkPatch*

His main problem was that he didn't trust his linemates and tried to do everything himself.

Yes. That is ONE of his main problems.

But equating all that man's flaws with "having 0 heart" is exaggerating. Kovalev had heart at times, and boy did he came out flying when he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad