Speculation: What do you think happens between now and including TDL for the Oilers?

What does Ken Holland do between now and including the TDL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Watch him come here and be useless. 20 minutes a night explains why they suck.

He plays against some of the toughest competition in the entire league and still puts up solid xGF numbers on a bad team.

The one thing I'd look more into is his how Pelech influences his play. His numbers seem to nosedive without him, so I would take a deep look into whether that's just a result of bad linemates (Aho/Greene/etc) or if he's actually being carried by one of the best defensive D-men in the league.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
He’s a solid defensive middle-bottom RD who can chuck em. Exactly what we need on RD. Move Barrie out for him.

That and Lagesson, Broberg and Nemo are LD.
Chuck one and replace with another dud. Exactly what this team has been doing for the past 10 years. Marginal moves take us nowhere. If we make a splash, it should be for a veteran with retention. One of werenski, Erik Karlsson, Letang or, Doughty, would give us a one year run. Not some bogus 3rd pair D. Instead all I see here is a bunch of middling players in proposal spinning tires. This team is going nowhere even if we got petry for nothing even if he waives to come.

What is Pekka Rinne doing now? Call him out of retirement for a cup run.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
He plays against some of the toughest competition in the entire league and still puts up solid xGF numbers on a bad team.

The one thing I'd look more into is his how Pelech influences his play. His numbers seem to nosedive without him, so I would take a deep look into whether that's just a result of bad linemates (Aho/Greene/etc) or if he's actually being carried by one of the best defensive D-men in the league.
Always blame the linemates. Pronger did fine lugging MAB around during our cup run.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It is too bad about our 2015 draft. Right now we could really use koskinen, Barzal and Beauvillier as trade chips to get Gibson,Getzlaf and Rakell.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Trading Barrie for a shutdown defenseman seems like a no brainer to many …..
For some reason Oilers are in love with him

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Chuck one and replace with another dud. Exactly what this team has been doing for the past 10 years. Marginal moves take us nowhere. If we make a splash, it should be for a veteran with retention. One of werenski, Erik Karlsson, Letang or, Doughty, would give us a one year run. Not some bogus 3rd pair D. Instead all I see here is a bunch of middling players in proposal spinning tires. This team is going nowhere even if we got petry for nothing even if he waives to come.

What is Pekka Rinne doing now? Call him out of retirement for a cup run.

Karlsson is out for the year.

LA isn’t trading Doughty.

Pittsburgh isn’t trading Letang.

Rinne is retired and washed up.

Petry wants to go back to the USA.

We can’t afford any of them.

Mayfield is a solid 2nd/3rd pair D with term and a crazy affordable contract.

Your living on Fantasy Island.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure why anyone wants Drieger, sub 0.900sv% and has a hefty price tag for a back-up if he doesn't come in and play like a legitimate NHL starter.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure why anyone wants Drieger, sub 0.900sv% and has a hefty price tag for a back-up if he doesn't come in and play like a legitimate NHL starter.
Yeah I’d rather pay the price for someone legit, otherwise just go with Kosk and Skinner.

I’d give a first for Fleury no hesitation. Two firsts for someone legit with some term. Someone would bite and it’s worth it, goalie is way overdue. Like Bourgault looks good but how far away is he? We don’t have time and there’s already some decent prospects in the pipeline.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Watch him come here and be useless. 20 minutes a night explains why they suck.

Holy smokes. Pass me some of whatever you're smoking.

Mayfield's is 91st in TOI by defenceman. He is 84th on even strength and 73rd on the PK.

But go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong about a player you've probably never seen play let alone familiar with.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
"Nothing" is leading the poll, and it's not even troll votes, lol. Easy choice.

"It's hard to make trades."
"Couldn't make it work with the cap."
"I like our team."
"Mike Smith has playoff experience."
"Getting Duncan Keith back is like trading for a top-4 defenseman."
"I miss Detroit."

"I'd like to mention back in my days from Detroit when I traded for Chris Chelios."

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
An important part of analyzing a player isnt just league ranking, but how the player looks on their own team. All Kraken goalies have bad stats compared to the rest of the league. That's a good indication that perhaps there is something about the way the team plays that hurts goalie stats

Driedger would still be a risk. This is where pro scouting is important. Whoever we add will have risk attached. If we talk trade with the Kraken they will play Driedger and we can make the judgement on his quality.

So maybe it isnt Driedger. We need to widen the scope in finding out guy and there will not be a sure thing available

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Karlsson is out for the year.

LA isn’t trading Doughty.

Pittsburgh isn’t trading Letang.

Rinne is retired and washed up.

Petry wants to go back to the USA.

We can’t afford any of them.

Mayfield is a solid 2nd/3rd pair D with term and a crazy affordable contract.

Your living on Fantasy Island.
We don't need to fill our roster with 3rd pairing guys. Dumping futures for chumps for what purpose? Maybe win one extra game then pack it in for the summer. If the thought of picking up one Mayfield helps us go to the finals then we know who is in fantasy land

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Mayfield's is 91st in TOI by defenceman. He is 84th on even strength and 73rd on the PK.

But go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong about a player you've probably never seen play let alone familiar with.
Thanks for confirming that he is useless with those numbers. 91st in TOI. Is there even 90 defenceman in the NHL? Hahaha

I just did the math. 6D per team. So about 200D used throughout the year. Let's dump some picks for the 91st in TOI. we are certainly winning the cup with Baker Mayfield. Oops. I mean superbowl.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

It is mind boggling how sad that fans on this board are giddy over a 3rd pairing D. Wake me up when we are getting someone legit. Thanks.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Thanks for confirming that he is useless with those numbers. 91st in TOI. Is there even 90 defenceman in the NHL? Hahaha

I just did the math. 6D per team. So about 200D used throughout the year. Let's dump some picks for the 91st in TOI. we are certainly winning the cup with Baker Mayfield. Oops. I mean superbowl.

Math must not be your strong suit. That puts Mayfield as a solid top 4 defenceman. Top 4 defenceman dont grow on trees, let alone on bargin contracts.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Didn't even see anybody mention that Archibald is all cleared to play.
Interesting. I completey disagree with his opinions on things but I'll gladly take him for however many home games and Calgary games we have left.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It is mind boggling how sad that fans on this board are giddy over a 3rd pairing D. Wake me up when we are getting someone legit. Thanks.

Can you tell us who he's partnered with on the 3rd pairing?

..Have you watched an Islanders game this year? Or last year?

...Have you heard of Mayfield before reading his name in this thread?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It is too bad about our 2015 draft. Right now we could really use koskinen, Barzal and Beauvillier as trade chips to get Gibson,Getzlaf and Rakell.

It's been reported that Eriksson-Ek would have been the pick if it wasn't traded and Beauvillier was picked before the Oilers 2nd that year.

Speaking of Beauvillier he's having a terrible year in New York and I wonder if the Isles would consider trading him this off-season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
An important part of analyzing a player isnt just league ranking, but how the player looks on their own team. All Kraken goalies have bad stats compared to the rest of the league. That's a good indication that perhaps there is something about the way the team plays that hurts goalie stats

Driedger would still be a risk. This is where pro scouting is important. Whoever we add will have risk attached. If we talk trade with the Kraken they will play Driedger and we can make the judgement on his quality.

So maybe it isnt Driedger. We need to widen the scope in finding out guy and there will not be a sure thing available
Kevin Woodley was quite adamant that Dreidger would be exposed once teams started to watch film on him. Said he would really have to work on his game to make sure that he wouldn't be exposed.

Sure do I think at 27 Dreidger can fix himself, but not with our goalie coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad