Speculation: What do you think happens between now and including TDL for the Oilers?

What does Ken Holland do between now and including the TDL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
ZomboMeme 21022022152925.jpg

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Rental LD, a young middle six forward with some term left and possibly a rental goalie depending on cost.

Not much in terms of cost. The majority spent on the forward.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What will Holland do? Nothing or very little.
What should Holland do? Encourage Bobby Deep Dive Nicks to throw away his thesarus and fall on his sword; look in the mirror and take a step up a rung in the ladder.

Even Holland who has in a way been burnt twice by Yzerboy must have learned.
the goalie solution likely happens in the summer.

Bison King and Kassian for Mason Appleton, Carson Soucy; Joey Daccord for the farm.

two Fifth's for Zack MacEwen; the thirteenth warrior.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that we move out Koskinen and get another goalie which is very unlikely to be a true #1 goalie. I also think that we add a depth piece at forward unless Archibald is close to returning.

Reactions: Mr Positive

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really going to depend on how the club plays. If this team continues to play like this and how they did at the start of the year I could see Holland more willing to spend assets on an upgrade. If they start a rollercoaster again I think he just looks at some depth moves.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I predict an acquisition of a goalie that isn't a starter by normal NHL standards, but is an upgrade on what we have just by virtue of not being an absolute joke. Just a below average goalie will suffice.

I predict that we will underpay on a goalie, but severely overpay for a d man. Then wonder why we go out in the first round again.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I predict an acquisition of a goalie that isn't a starter by normal NHL standards, but is an upgrade on what we have just by virtue of not being an absolute joke. Just a below average goalie will suffice.

I predict that we will underpay on a goalie, but severely overpay for a d man. Then wonder why we go out in the first round again.

Crazy thought.

What if...and that's putting air quotes around "if", Stalock gets called up and plays well, would Holland even look for a goalie.

For those who watch the farm club, does he get lots of starts and has he been playing well since he's returned?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Holland seems to prefer trading for players that arent just rentals.

Imo even though the AA trade didnt work out, it was still a good trade. They are all gambles. AA might still be here if it weren't for covid.

But anyway, I'd guess he wont go for rentals. I like the idea of getting a goalie with some term or RFA control. Ie Driedger, Georgiev, Varlamov.

Or a super cheap one like Jones would be okay, as long we do that one soon so we have time to try them out a little first.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Dallas is out at the deadline

EDM 2nd 2023 + Koskinen + Benson for Brayden Holtby + Jani Hakanpaa

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I voted for my ideal situation because I'm just a positive guy like that.
(Acquire both a starting goaltender and a shutdown D)

That way, when I am disappointed, I am only disappointed trade deadline day and beyond, instead of being disappointed now and beyond.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Can anyone give me an example of a starting goalie that was acquired at the trade deadline that had success with the new team immediately (ie a playoff team)?

It just seems unusual to try an get an actual starter for a playoff team.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
What’s with the money in money out thing? Send money out first and give yourself some wiggle room. Like trade Kassian and Kosk for late picks or whatever, then trade picks and prospects for the goalie when you have some space. You’re not getting a good goalie with Kass included, just dump those guys first.

Anyway I just expect a sideways move at the last second, on TDL. No idea why he has to wait months and months to make the move just do it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What’s with the money in money out thing? Send money out first and give yourself some wiggle room. Like trade Kassian and Kosk for late picks or whatever, then trade picks and prospects for the goalie when you have some space. You’re not getting a good goalie with Kass included, just dump those guys first.

Anyway I just expect a sideways move at the last second, on TDL. No idea why he has to wait months and months to make the move just do it.
I'm fine with the wait, especially since we are only now starting to build up a good stable of teams who have given up all hope to make the playoffs. That's what I'm hoping Holland meant when he said that the answer was in the room. At that time, yeah, good luck finding someone giving up good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad