Player Discussion What do we have in Micheal Ferland?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i see his effect as kind of cumulative. we now have a bunch of large wingers with similar games. hopefully they compete a little with each other and bring out aspects of each other's game. having that many heavy wingers means the opposition never knows when they are getting clocked or when it is safe to take a liberty.

overall, i predict less liberties with our goalies and more dumb penalties. also, more greasy goals for, and more fancy goals against.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This times a million.

Ferland is less tough than Gudbranson and Gudbranson did nothing. It doesn't make a difference.

It's insane that people would prefer a worse player with Pettersson for this made-up garbage reason. Miller should be playing there because he's an actual good player.

Goons don't exist in this league anymore.

The two guys who injured Pettersson last year had a combined 70 PIM and 1 career fight. One was an 18 y/o rookie.

The notion that it's 1985 and big bad Ferland will scare the other team's goons from throwing hits on Pettersson is pure fantasy.

Ferland did nothing while the entire league played "Let's slash Gaudreau's hands."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People said the same thing about Gudbranson. This isn't a real thing.

It is absolutely incredible that anyone still believes this garbage in 2019. And it's not like it's one guy - there must be 20 posts like this year today.

Erik Gudbranson is far tougher than Ferland. His presence did absolutely nothing. Brad May and Wade Brookbanks did nothing when Moore ran Naslund. Lucic did nothing when Cooke took out Savard. This just isn't a thing, even a little bit.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Guy helps solidify the top 9 with another physical presence, some speed and a big league shot. Most importantly, he's another addition that plays the way Green likes and we are starting to see an identity forming up front.

There is a reason this guy was projected to get $25-30mil in free agency by fans around the league. Valuable asset to be sure. One that can take over games when he's on.

Health is the obvious question mark.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Burrows was faster, tireless, smart enough and elite defensively. They aren't remotely comparable. Miller is a better comparison for Burrows.

Sorry should have clarified. I meant as in a first line roleplayer to complement his other 2 line mates. Thinking he'll serve the same purpose!

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Ferland seems to be able play with skilled guys. Not a top line guy but should be able to make room for Petey and Boeser and chip in around 40 pts.

He won't stop the abuse during the play, because well no one can. Should be able to step into a scrum to save kids after the whistle though

So now we can try out Miller on Horvats right wing. If you are Horvat you gotta be thrilled to get a guy like Miller on your wing.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
It is absolutely incredible that anyone still believes this garbage in 2019. And it's not like it's one guy - there must be 20 posts like this year today.

Erik Gudbranson is far tougher than Ferland. His presence did absolutely nothing. Brad May and Wade Brookbanks did nothing when Moore ran Naslund. Lucic did nothing when Cooke took out Savard. This just isn't a thing, even a little bit.

While I semi-agree on the ability to be a "deterrent" MS what do you think about teams who use pest tactics?

You see in the playoffs quite often where teams will bring a much higher degree of physical play and it's common for teams without that ability to wilt.

Reactions: bbud

VanFan101

Jul 24, 2009
I think he'll be a great fit on Pettersson's line. His play style is similar to Brendan Shinnimin who was one of Petey's linemates during his record setting SHL season (Shinnimin is too small to play that way in the NHL but stylisticly they are similar). I think a combo of a high motor puck retriever and an elite finisher in Boeser alongside Petey will give the Canucks a top 15 first line.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I think a season where Gaudreau and Monahan were his most common linemates won’t be replicated in terms of production.

He literally replicated those numbers in less games last year, stick him with EP and BB and he’ll get 35-45 points while providing some protection.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I genuinely don't understand what is baffling about it. The Canucks became significantly better this off season.
Have to agree.....Ferland and Miller are solid additions up-front; and Myers/Benn are a big add to the blueline. And if Markstrom/Demko can pick up where they left off the season; the Canucks have to be a lot better.

And you have to hope that Pettersson; Horvat; Boeser and Hughes can continue their upward trajectory as players. Slowly but surely the Canucks are filling in the holes.

Reactions: Fraser28

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t understand how some people can say this team didn’t get better, on paper it is unquestioned. Combine that with the hopeful next step of some of our young players and this should be an interesting team to watch.

I also don’t understand how people don’t like the Ferland contract. Ferland is the type of player who teams usually overpay for, and we got him in his prime years at 3.5 mil per without tacking on any declining years.

I don’t like Benning any more than the next guy, but I don’t much care for the blind hate either.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don’t understand how some people can say this team didn’t get better, on paper it is unquestioned. Combine that with the hopeful next step of some of our young players and this should be an interesting team to watch.

I also don’t understand how people don’t like the Ferland contract. Ferland is the type of player who teams usually overpay for, and we got him in his prime years at 3.5 mil per without tacking on any declining years.

I don’t like Benning any more than the next guy, but I don’t much care for the blind hate either.

I don't know, maybe you can read what people are saying and then you wouldn't be so confused or need to stay stupid pointless shit about "blind hate."

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

This team is much better and should make the playoffs. What concerns most fans is the cap trouble the team might be in when EP & Hughes sign after their ELC’s expire (they’re in cap trouble already and have to move out a player to sign Boeser). Most of the players signed will be on the decline when our young guns start hitting their prime and we may not be able to add a key piece of the puzzle later to put us over the top (also much better UFAs available in a couple years). Don’t want a bubble playoff team or mediocrity for a decade, want Cups.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Have to agree.....Ferland and Miller are solid additions up-front; and Myers/Benn are a big add to the blueline. And if Markstrom/Demko can pick up where they left off the season; the Canucks have to be a lot better.

And you have to hope that Pettersson; Horvat; Boeser and Hughes can continue their upward trajectory as players. Slowly but surely the Canucks are filling in the holes.

i agree with all of this... Now they just need some luck
if two or three of Juolevi, Woo, Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander can solidify themselves as legit Nhlers in 2 or 3 years, then the Canucks will be really well positioned for a few deep runs

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This team is much better and should make the playoffs. What concerns most fans is the cap trouble the team might be in when EP & Hughes sign after their ELC’s expire (they’re in cap trouble already and have to move out a player to sign Boeser). Most of the players signed will be on the decline when our young guns start hitting their prime and we may not be able to add a key piece of the puzzle later to put us over the top (also much better UFAs available in a couple years). Don’t want a bubble playoff team or mediocrity for a decade, want Cups.

Have you looked at the other teams in the west?

"Should" is a pretty strong statement. We have a questionMark in net and no top pairing Dmen.

We do have a SHITton of middle/bottom6 forwards tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad