Player Discussion What do we have in Micheal Ferland?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He is a good player with a defined role. He can play on top 2 lines. Good entertainment value. Happy with this.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ferland is a guy who plays with a hard, physical edge. So his career could go one of two ways. The wear and tear might cause a slow and steady decline by the time he hits 30. But I'm sure the Canucks could live with that if they got two or three decent seasons about of him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
At least people will think twice before hitting Petterson with Benn and Ferland in the lineup.

No, they won't. Deterrence doesn't exist. All the Benning Bros said the same thing about Gudbranson. Didn't matter. Savard's career was ended with Lucic on the ice. Didn't matter.

If we want to debate Ferland's actual value to the team, then sure. He's a decent middle-six complementary winger who can produce if given plum situations. The term isn't great, but the AAV is fine. We already have tons of middle-six types though.

Thinking Ferland is going to "protect" our guys is foolish though, and should not be a reason why he's on the team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
does anyone have any actual evidence that having people that can fight on your team reduces the amount of hits your top players take? Because Conor McDavid gets shelled every night and he plays with Milan Lucic
I don’t think there are stats for that. However, I do think that top players will tell their goons to hold off, when the other teams’ goons start targeting them in retribution. I think it was
Yzerman who told one of his teammates to simmer down on running the other team’s top skill guys, because it was making it harder on him. These rats that run top guys don’t fight, so guys target the other team’s top guys. The top guys talk to the rats. I don’t like four years for Ferland, but I don’t like seeing Petey body slammed either. Ferland won’t stop Petey from being a target, but his presence will (IMO) wake up the other teams’ top players to the play of their rats.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, they won't. Deterrence doesn't exist. All the Benning Bros said the same thing about Gudbranson. Didn't matter. Savard's career was ended with Lucic on the ice. Didn't matter.

If we want to debate Ferland's actual value to the team, then sure. He's a decent middle-six complementary winger who can produce if given plum situations. The term isn't great, but the AAV is fine. We already have tons of middle-six types though.

Thinking Ferland is going to "protect" our guys is foolish though, and should not be a reason why he's on the team.

This times a million.

Ferland is less tough than Gudbranson and Gudbranson did nothing. It doesn't make a difference.

It's insane that people would prefer a worse player with Pettersson for this made-up garbage reason. Miller should be playing there because he's an actual good player.

I don’t think there are stats for that. However, I do think that top players will tell their goons to hold off, when the other teams’ goons start targeting them in retribution. I think it was
Yzerman who told one of his teammates to simmer down on running the other team’s top skill guys, because it was making it harder on him. These rats that run top guys don’t fight, so guys target the other team’s top guys. The top guys talk to the rats. I don’t like four years for Ferland, but I don’t like seeing Petey body slammed either. Ferland won’t stop Petey from being a target, but his presence will (IMO) wake up the other teams’ top players to the play of their rats.

Goons don't exist in this league anymore.

The two guys who injured Pettersson last year had a combined 70 PIM and 1 career fight. One was an 18 y/o rookie.

The notion that it's 1985 and big bad Ferland will scare the other team's goons from throwing hits on Pettersson is pure fantasy.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Ferland is basically the exact same player as Marcus Foligno. These are guys who should be making Martinook/Kassian/Hartman type of money.

It's just that for whatever reason, he's been prepped up in a ridiculous fashion the last 2 seasons. Put in offensive situations with elite forwards for seemingly no good reasons.

Also he looks exactly like Todd Packer.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This times a million.

Ferland is less tough than Gudbranson and Gudbranson did nothing. It doesn't make a difference.

It's insane that people would prefer a worse player with Pettersson for this made-up garbage reason. Miller should be playing there because he's an actual good player.

The two guys who injured Pettersson last year had a combined 70 PIM and 1 career fight. One was an 18 y/o rookie.

The notion that it's 1985 and big bad Ferland will scare the other team's goons from throwing hits on Pettersson is pure fantasy.
It’s like how having a guy like Torres on your team isn’t going to protect your”star players”. The other teams star players will have to keep their heads up though.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Assuming healthy:

My guess is:
  • 18 goals
  • 43 points
  • +12
  • 170 hits
  • 55 PIMS
  • 1 suspension
  • 4 GWG
  • 3 standing ovations
  • 4 fights
  • Top line duties protecting Pettersson
Why do you think he's going to get a suspension? plays hard, but not a dirty player. never had a match penalty prior to the badly blown call in the Washington series. Never suspended.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why do you think he's going to get a suspension? plays hard, but not a dirty player. never had a match penalty prior to the badly blown call in the Washington series. Never suspended.

Yup. The memories we have here of the crazy jumping charges in the Calgary series 5 seasons ago aren't how Ferland currently plays, at all.

Unlike a guy like Roussel, one thing Ferland does really well is finish his checks without taking penalties. With Calgary in 17-18, he only took 7 minor penalties all year.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As said he hits guys and he is good for a few points but isn't someone you build a line around.

Can also help on the 2nd unit PP.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
This times a million.

He doesn't need to be a goon it's about having aggressive players that put teams back on their heels so to speak it changes how the game flows when players know they are the target .
You just don't get as easy a time trying to get at stars when your first worry is his winger wants a piece of you every time he can it gives Petey more room more time and that is all Ferland or Miller need to do.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad