Player Discussion What do we have in Micheal Ferland?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
35~40 pts
A lot of hits and penalties
Always the first guy to stand up for his teammate

I think he hasn’t hit his career high in terms of points production

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
A fine middle 6 winger that produces similar to someone like Zack Kassian when not playing with top line caliber players.

I think the money is completely fine for a middle 6 player it’s the term which is concerning.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A fine middle 6 winger that produces similar to someone like Zack Kassian when not playing with top line caliber players.

I think the money is completely fine for a middle 6 player it’s the term which is concerning.
Zack’s career high in pts is 26 but okay..
And yes, he had his chance with McDavid but didn’t fit at all

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A solid physical winger that is a good 3rd liner and isn’t completely out of place on a first line (although it isn’t exactly in his element).

The Canucks definitely have some sandpaper up front now and I definitely see them being in the mix for a playoff spot now.

As I’ve stated a few times however, I have concerns about the short term and long term cap ramifications.

Having Ferland is great, and I don’t even mind that 4th year, but this management group better have a plan in place for clearing salary.

Will Virtanen or Gaudette be used as a sweetener to move Eriksson? Looks like we’ll find out soon enough.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just hope he maintains what he has been. Age like simmonds has would be my expectation and hope. Simmonds at the same age as ferland matched his career best with 60 points then had a slow steady decline to 54 and 46 the next 2. Had 27 in 62 with Phil before his trade when he got 3 in 17 for Nash.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You do understand what WOWY' stats are right? Ferland away from sure fire elite first line talent like Aho and Gaudrau is a 20-25 point player. These statistics are easily available to you.

It's easy to manipulate statistics, you need to look at context provided to make a conclusion. In 2013/2014 scored at a ~35 point rate mostly playing win the middle 6. That's the type of production to be expected from Ferland if he isn't playing with legit play drivers.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He's not the same physical freak he was when he ran over the Canucks in the playoffs once upon a time, although I suspect Benning doesn't know this is the case which is part of his rationale for this signing. He was useless for Carolina this past postseason.

I expect him to put up somewhere in the range of 20-30 points while playing 3rd line-ish minutes with intermittent time in the top 6 and on the power play this upcoming season.

His body will likely continue to break down and could be susceptible to fall off a cliff to Schaller level effectiveness, I give it a year before that drop off happens.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If Ferland wasn't used on the PP (and his PP minutes are sure to go way down here from the top-unit minutes he got in Carolina), he scores 27 points last year.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Speculation: - Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

I felt that this was coming but it's actually a surprisingly better deal that I thought it would be. Hes a good third liner who can play top six in a pinch due to injuries. That's it. A decent middle six forward. His playstyle isnt good for longevity but hopefully we can move him out near the end of his contract for a team looking for sandpaper. I think the deal can be good or bad. I'm on the fence so far.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Gonna go out on a limb and say we have our younger Burrows for the top line.

That'd be nice.

What generally happens to guys like him IMO is not even the traditional "breaking down" narrative. It's style of play.

A lot of these guys are young guys looking to cut their teeth in the league and know they have gotten there for their physical play. Suddenly they get paid and it just doesn't seem like the compete level is there anymore like when they were young.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->