Player Discussion What do we have in Micheal Ferland?

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I don't know, maybe you can read what people are saying and then you wouldn't be so confused or need to stay stupid pointless **** about "blind hate."

Or they could read and see some of the stupid pointless hate and comment on it. On a message board. Made for comments.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
We do have a ****ton of middle/bottom6 forwards tho.

I am actually happy with the depth right now compared to other teams. I am just curious how the salary cap situation will work out, and I will reserve judgment on that until I see how it works out.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Have you looked at the other teams in the west?

"Should" is a pretty strong statement. We have a questionMark in net and no top pairing Dmen.

Canucks had 81 points while dealing with a ton of injuries throughout the season. They replaced Gudbranson, Pouliot, Hutton, Granlund, Schaller with... Myers, Hughes, Benn, J.T. Miller, Leivo and Ferland. Gaudette and a healthy Boeser should also be better. If the Canucks get solid goaltending and avoid catastrophic injuries, especially on the back end, they should make the playoffs. Benning made some bold additions, if the Canucks miss the playoffs it’s bye bye Benning, win-win either way.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have you looked at the other teams in the west?

"Should" is a pretty strong statement. We have a questionMark in net and no top pairing Dmen.

I feel very confident in our goaltending next season .. Divsional rivals Calgary and Edmonton can't find any continuity in goal.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Pettersson got manhandled a lot out there this last season. The fans were letting the Canucks know they didn't like that, and that they needed someone that would make teams scared to run him. This signing makes a lot of sense with that in mind, and also knowing that Rousell is still hurt.

Really happy to have Ferland on the team.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Ferland seems to be a player that truly plays harder when the playoffs start. Obviously 2015 he dominated us, but even with Carolina he was playing a similar style to 2015 but injured himself hitting Tom Wilson. I didn't watch much of Carolina in the regular season, but in the playoffs I saw a similar player to 2015.

People are out to lunch if they think he's declining or his body is wearing down. If he has a bad year it won't be because he is fragile. Virtanen, Boeser have worse injury history than Ferland. He's 3 years older than Horvat and Horvat plays hard so is he done in 3 years? I've seen the same said about Roussel which is also wrong.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The roster is pretty decent. Maybe above average forwards but defense is still subpar due to lack of legit top-pairing D-men and as much as I like Markstrom he's not better than most starters and Demko is unproven. At best we're a bubble team, but maybe we get some big step forwards from the young ones - at least, the potential for progress outweighs likely regression.

But I don't think we're better than many teams in the West. Above Wild/Ducks/Kings probably, but Blues/Preds/Knights/Stars are definitively better and Sharks/Jets/Coyotes/Flames seem stronger on paper. And everyone else can just as well; never know with the likes of McDavid or Patty Kane. It'll still be an uphill battle to make the playoffs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A big "heavy" crash and bang Top-9 winger who is probably a 15-20G, 30-40pt guy if he stays healthy. He's not really that true Top-6 Power Forward you ideally want, but he's got enough skill to at least play there and pick up some points while providing a physical presence when you need it. He'll get his Top-6 minutes here, 5v5 at least. Shouldn't hurt to have a guy who can help make a bit of space for someone like Pettersson.

At worst, he's a physical bottom-6 winger with at least a modicum of scoring touch, which is what you want there. Albeit, if he doesn't find some Top-6 minutes, he'll probably struggle to produce up to his contract. But i think it's a pretty safe assumption he'll get at least some opportunities there, where if you figure roughly 10pts = $1M salary, if he's in that 35pts ballpark, that's pretty on par with "value". Especially with the "intangibles" like physicality and sticking up for teammates that he brings to the table.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I feel very confident in our goaltending next season .. Divsional rivals Calgary and Edmonton can't find any continuity in goal.

Calgary hasn't consistent goaltending since Kipprusoff retired.
Edmonton has been trying to find a goaltender for years, they got a decent run with Roloson but who was their last 'great' goaltender..Salo? Cujo?

forget

Jul 6, 2019
I’m not sure how confident you can be in our goaltending who between both of them have about half of a good season. I like Demko for the future, but next year is still a huge question mark.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ferland seems to be a player that truly plays harder when the playoffs start. Obviously 2015 he dominated us, but even with Carolina he was playing a similar style to 2015 but injured himself hitting Tom Wilson. I didn't watch much of Carolina in the regular season, but in the playoffs I saw a similar player to 2015.

People are out to lunch if they think he's declining or his body is wearing down. If he has a bad year it won't be because he is fragile. Virtanen, Boeser have worse injury history than Ferland. He's 3 years older than Horvat and Horvat plays hard so is he done in 3 years? I've seen the same said about Roussel which is also wrong.

Saying Roussel isn’t injury prone is laughable.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It is absolutely incredible that anyone still believes this garbage in 2019. And it's not like it's one guy - there must be 20 posts like this year today.

Erik Gudbranson is far tougher than Ferland. His presence did absolutely nothing. Brad May and Wade Brookbanks did nothing when Moore ran Naslund. Lucic did nothing when Cooke took out Savard. This just isn't a thing, even a little bit.

You make a good point, but I think the intimidation factor is still alive and well. A few years ago for instance, Scott Hartnell basically made Troy Stecher smell his armpit much to the amusement of his teammates while we sat there and watched. Thankfully, since the refs were there, Stecher wasn’t forced to at an eggroll of sorts either.

Absolutely no one would be pulling that BS with teams like Boston or Philly. Or the 1994 Canucks. After such a long time, the Canucks finally have a tough team that won’t be pushed around or bullied. This is a tough Canucks team that we’re looking at.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We have an elite-level power forward in the first few months of the season and an elite-level invisible forward in the latter half of the season. :sarcasm:

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Guarantee Benning's comment will include "safe work environment" "protect the kids" "stand up for teammates" and "saw how big players were important in playoffs this year"
And when Tampa bay wins next season, he's going to go for short, skilled players.

The guy can't make a plan and stick to it. Always has to try and replicate the latest cup winner (doing a horrible job at it)

I still have no ****ing clue what the identity of this team is.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
No, they won't. Deterrence doesn't exist. All the Benning Bros said the same thing about Gudbranson. Didn't matter. Savard's career was ended with Lucic on the ice. Didn't matter.

If we want to debate Ferland's actual value to the team, then sure. He's a decent middle-six complementary winger who can produce if given plum situations. The term isn't great, but the AAV is fine. We already have tons of middle-six types though.

Thinking Ferland is going to "protect" our guys is foolish though, and should not be a reason why he's on the team.
Correlation does not equal causation.

I know it's the hfboards meme that deterrence doesn't exist, but it does. What seems to be mistaken for 'proof' that deterrence doesn't exist is examples of times where it was proven that the relationship between deterrence and injury/hit prevention is 1-to-1, which nobody claims.

Has nobody here played like a decently high level of contact hockey? Remember the difference when you had deterrents on your team and when you didn't?

Reactions: bbud

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
And when Tampa bay wins next season, he's going to go for short, skilled players.

The guy can't make a plan and stick to it. Always has to try and replicate the latest cup winner (doing a horrible job at it)

I still have no ****ing clue what the identity of this team is.
There is no formula to win the SC..I think the Blues just proved that..You need a mix of everything..Making a concrete plan, would be be counter productive..The league is fluid..It changes year to year...Go with what ya got.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
There is no formula to win the SC..I think the Blues just proved that..You need a mix of everything..Making a concrete plan, would be be counter productive..The league is fluid..It changes year to year...Go with what ya got.
That's the problem, though. Every year after the SCF he makes comments like 'look at the size they won with' or 'the fast skilled guys were the difference maker' or w/e, and makes moves or drafts based on that.

I don't think the league is as fluid as you think, at least not as often. I would just like a plan. Team identity does matter. The Blues were seen as a hard working, two way team and they made the most of that. The Hurricanes rallied around the 'Storm Surge' and each player bought in and excelled. The Bruins and Kings were the big, menacing, in your face teams and they feasted on that reputation. The Hawks were the opportunistic, fast transition powerhouse. The Penguins were the pure skill team... etc.

I think there is a formula to winning the cup, and part of that formula is actually having an identity to start with. Pick a playstyle and bring in the players suited to that playstyle.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Correlation does not equal causation.

I know it's the hfboards meme that deterrence doesn't exist, but it does. What seems to be mistaken for 'proof' that deterrence doesn't exist is examples of times where it was proven that the relationship between deterrence and injury/hit prevention is 1-to-1, which nobody claims.

Has nobody here played like a decently high level of contact hockey? Remember the difference when you had deterrents on your team and when you didn't?

Literally years of 5 AM practices. Surviving cut after cut at every level. Not to mention the, ahem, "personalities" of these guys - that has a lot of different meanings, but it all adds up to the same thing.

In today's game there is nobody who is so much of a physical presence, and not even a team presence that they will outweigh what these guys will do to stay in this league. You call those guys "soldiers" for a reason, they go out and do what they're told or what they know is expected of them. Players know their time is short. At the end of the day, they don't give a f***. If it gets them one more second in the league, they will do it. That's always included being right on the edge with the other team's best players.

You're also conveniently leaving out games where the first fight just leads to a continually escalating situation that just spirals out of control.

Deterrence doesn't exist. Even in the old days it was more of an arms race until both teams were decimated as opposed to something that prevented any shenanigans in the first place.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Canucks had 81 points while dealing with a ton of injuries throughout the season. They replaced Gudbranson, Pouliot, Hutton, Granlund, Schaller with... Myers, Hughes, Benn, J.T. Miller, Leivo and Ferland. Gaudette and a healthy Boeser should also be better. If the Canucks get solid goaltending and avoid catastrophic injuries, especially on the back end, they should make the playoffs. Benning made some bold additions, if the Canucks miss the playoffs it’s bye bye Benning, win-win either way.
I still Dont think the Canucks are better than St Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Colorado, Calgary, Vegas, San José .

Arizona was better than the Canucks last year, when that had a ridicoulus amount of injuries since then they added Kessel.
Winnipeg is hard to know where they are.

Anaheim, LA, Minnesota, Edmonton is probably worse than the Canucks, but Anaheim has a great goalie and will probably be right there with the Canucks.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm not a huge fan of Ferland. Having said that he is better than any other winger the team has played in the bottom 6 and some in the top 6 the past few season. However, he is a 12-14 minute a night forward (which coincidentally is the time he got in Carolina). He isn't a guy that you want as a fixture on an offensive line because he just isn't good enough to be in that roll long term. Put him in the bottom 6 with some PP time here and there and you have a useable player. No PP time and you have a Brock McGinn that can't kill penalties but does fight. I have a feeling no one would be that excited over Brock McGinn. I don't get excited over someone that will spend 200 minutes in the penalty box and still can't believe that people think "deterrent" is a thing. It's another player that I just don't think really moves the needle. And it appears as though they gave him a NMC. He is definitely not a player you give a NMC to.

I think people underestimate the amount of improvement an 80 point team needs to have to get into the playoffs in a normal year (i.e. when you need 95 points). And the summer isn't over. They have bodies they need to move out because somehow the worst team over the past 4 years is in cap trouble, they have many "can they stay healthy" questions and still very limited depth.

Now I will say kudos to him for getting his life back on track (and kudos to Hartley for really helping him). Still not excited over the contract.

Reactions: TruGr1t

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I don’t think his play style is a deterrent for the other team as much as it is a fire starter for ours. He’s got jam. Think Horvat, Stecher, Roussel. These guys drag you into the battle.

I actually think his play style may raise the intensity in games leading to a more hostile environment and possibly more injuries. The thing is those kinds of games bring the team closer together and gets the guys playing for each other. Less ‘Little Things’ Louis Eriksson and more ‘Big ole Give a Shit Meter’ Micheal Ferland.

Reactions: mossey3535

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
We have memories of this:

participation_zpsaie59zxq.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad