What are the Habs, and how realistic is it they challenge for the cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Under normal rules they are a bubble team at best. When they can clutch and grab with out severe consequences, they are th best team in Canada and maybe a top 5 in the NHL. Built like a clutch and grab team and they excel when clutch and grab hockey is allowed.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well they're doing what they're supposed to do but nobody expected them to be able to do it. Whether or not they can keep it up is another question. They're like a Cinderella story where you don't know if the clock will strike midnight or not. Will they turn back into a pumpkin when they play Vegas or Colorado or if they get by that one will they be able to beat Boston islanders or Tampa if one of those teams gets to the finals and the habs meet them there. That's gotta be exciting questions for the habs fans as they just get to soak in whatever goes on for their team here. Really a team with nothing to lose and that makes them dangerous.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Just a quick reminder of how bad the North division is/was.

Not a single Canadian team is remotely close to being an actual cup contender.
What team would you qualify as cup contender?

What is easier, 7 middling teams or 2 top teams 2 middling and 4 bottom teams ?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Well they're doing what they're supposed to do but nobody expected them to be able to do it. Whether or not they can keep it up is another question. They're like a Cinderella story where you don't know if the clock will strike midnight or not. Will they turn back into a pumpkin when they play Vegas or Colorado or if they get by that one will they be able to beat Boston islanders or Tampa if one of those teams gets to the finals and the habs meet them there. That's gotta be exciting questions for the habs fans as they just get to soak in whatever goes on for their team here. Really a team with nothing to lose and that makes them dangerous.

I've watched few of their games during the season and few now. It doesn't look like the same team. If they keep playing this hard and precise, they can challenge any team.

Reactions: CheeseMcCheese

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
What team would you qualify as cup contender?

What is easier, 7 middling teams or 2 top teams 2 middling and 4 bottom teams ?
define easier?
What 7 middling teams does is that it allows any of those 7 to rise to the top without actually playing a team that is head and shoulders better than them in all aspects of the game.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Meh. It's all simply the truth, tho. Almost every single Hab fans thought they sucked and were totally done, when they were down 3-1 to the Leafs. Since then, they've had an amazing and lucky turnaround. But that doesn't mean they're not that same team from 2 weeks ago. lol. It's all temporary.
The problem has always been the division. All these teams who went on runs within the division, either in the playoffs or reg season thus far, have all only been comparing themselves to other similarly garbage teams.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
define easier?
What 7 middling teams does is that it allows any of those 7 to rise to the top without actually playing a team that is head and shoulders better than them in all aspects of the game.
Easier, better chance of having a good/winning record.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I've watched few of their games during the season and few now. It doesn't look like the same team. If they keep playing this hard and precise, they can challenge any team.
Yes, still expect the best teams like Colorado, Tampa and Vegas to pass them, but it won't necessarily be a walk in the park like many think.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Easier, better chance of having a good/winning record.
Well if you are one of the middling teams, it's easier to have a winning record in the balanced conference because there is never going to be a night when they go out and play a team that is vastly superior to them. Random variance could result in that middling team winning the divisions. Or in the case of the Habs finishing 4th out of 7 teams with a losing record overall.

Meanwhile in that unbalanced division, the middling team has a theoretical ceiling of 3rd place and that assumes they beat out the other middling team in the division.

I know you are trying really hard to make it seem like the Habs should be commended for their play in the North, but it's a very weak argument.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Well if you are one of the middling teams, it's easier to have a winning record in the balanced conference because there is never going to be a night when they go out and play a team that is vastly superior to them. Random variance could result in that middling team winning the divisions. Or in the case of the Habs finishing 4th out of 7 teams with a losing record overall.

Meanwhile in that unbalanced division, the middling team has a theoretical ceiling of 3rd place and that assumes they beat out the other middling team in the division.

I know you are trying really hard to make it seem like the Habs should be commended for their play in the North, but it's a very weak argument.
I'm trying really hard to question the argument you present as a fact. You are trying very hard to prove something that can't be and won't be proved :thumbu:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
found the fan that’s entertained by their team winning and not from actual hockey

Strong goaltending, strong defense, strong forechecking, excellent cycling in the offensive zone. Strong special teams play, excellent shut down line etc...

im not sure why you think that is all "not actual hockey" but hell yes I am happy my team plays that way and yes I am happy they are winning.....

I checked your post history, seems your an Edmonton fan....that explains a lot

Reactions: ChikN

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
f7c3e0b5eabea990e230c356099ae5b229a84cda_00.jpg

Reactions: Steeler23

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Obviously, you have to make the parallels to the 1993 team...except that team was even more reliant on the preternatural goaltending.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Chance at a cup?

Zero percent until they develop true elite talent(or acquire it)

I do think they have improved in the off-season, but they were the 24th ranked team before the break and IMHO would have been much better off in the lottery pool.

In the last 3 years, Price has been pretty ordinary for his standards, and one playoff run in a weird year isn't going to change anyone's opinion on that.

In the Canadian division they are easily better than the Sens, but I don't think you can realistically argue they are DEFINITIVELY better than any of the remaining teams.

Now, if they can get their PP going it will help them a lot because they are a solid team at 5 on 5 play.

So yeah. At 0 % I’ll take the other side bud. the worse is you quoted your own post in February to flex on your preseason projection.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Funny how fast things can change, right? Carey Price is "overrated" until he isn't. Bergevin is a "terrible GM" until he isn't. Perry is washed up until he isn't.

The Habs deserve massive props for making the right moves to dramatically re-make their team in such a short time. Adding Staal, Perry and Toffoli were brilliant moves and their young players seem to play the game the right way. They remind me of the 2019 Blues in some ways, as they can roll all 4 lines without worrying about match-ups and have lots of guys who can provide depth scoring. I am not surprised that they are the likely winner of the North division, even though I felt the Leafs were much better on paper.

That being said, I think it's now clear that it's the weakest division in hockey and their road to the final 4 will be the easiest by far. I don't think they have reached true contender status yet, but they still deserve a lot of credit for what they have done this year. If they add one star forward, preferably the true #1C they have lacked for so long, then I would feel comfortable calling them a legit Cup contender.

Good post, I have to correct you on one thing though…any team in the final 4 is a (short term at least) contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad