What are the Habs, and how realistic is it they challenge for the cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
if the expanded playoffs last year proved anything, it's that the above phrase could apply to all 31 teams in the NHL. Any team can catch fire at the right moment and win a series or 2 they have no business being competitive in. That doesn't make them a good team.
I’m gonna stand on this statement and feel very good about it

Reactions: wetcoast

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lol i think the last legit first line players the habs had goes back all the way to the 1...2 punch of Vincent Damphouse and Mark Recchi and both were brought in via trades
Radulov was a UFA signing. Absolutely 1st liner.
Pacioretty was a Habs draft pick. Absolutely 1st liner.
Kovalev was a trade. Absolutely 1st liner.

Of them, only Pacioretty was drafted and developed though.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yes, yes. We suck and have no business winning games or making the POs yet we're somehow still playing and the Panthers annual golf retreat only got pushed back by 6 games.
Why are we talking about the Panthers? I certainly didn’t bring them up but great argument contradicting my point that bad teams can win 4 out of 7 games.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Why are we talking about the Panthers? I certainly didn’t bring them up but great argument contradicting my point that bad teams can win 4 out of 7 games.
Point is you shouldn't throw stones from glass houses by calling us a bad team. You're franchise isn't exactly synonymous with success either.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Point is you shouldn't throw stones from glass houses by calling us a bad team. You're franchise isn't exactly synonymous with success either.
The point is this a thread about the Canadiens and how realistic their chances are to win the Cup, it's nothing to do with any other team so why bring them into the arguement?
You don't like what they have to say then defend the Canadiens.

Reactions: Beezeral

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The point is this a thread about the Canadiens and how realistic their chances are to win the Cup, it's nothing to do with any other team so why bring them into the arguement?
You don't like what they have to say then defend the Canadiens.
Lol anyone with common sense knows we're not going to win the cup. However, continuing to call us a bad, garbage etc... team is equally preposterous and wreaks of envy.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So the team I am a fan of impacts my ability to evaluate how good a different team is? Wat?

Lol anyone with common sense knows we're not going to win the cup. However, continuing to call us a bad, garbage etc... team is equally preposterous and wreaks of envy.
what’s preposterous about it? Had more losses than wins in the worst division in the NHL. Winning 4/7 doesn’t change that the habs are a deeply flawed roster that is extremely unlikely to win the cup.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
So the team I am a fan of impacts my ability to evaluate how good a different team is? Wat?

what’s preposterous about it? Had more losses than wins in the worst division in the NHL. Winning 4/7 doesn’t change that the habs are a deeply flawed roster that is extremely unlikely to win the cup.
Nobody sane (including myself) believes the Habs are going to win the cup. You being a fan of another team doesn't impact your ability to evaluate the Habs but insinuating they're garbage and had no business being in the Leafs series is frankly false and quite salty.

Also, you forgot to take into context that they had a crazy condensed schedule of 25 games in like 40 days due to a Covid interruption. They're a better team than their record indicates this year but no where near good enough to win the cup.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Nobody sane (including myself) believes the Habs are going to win the cup. You being a fan of another team doesn't impact your ability to evaluate the Habs but insinuating they're garbage and had no business being in the Leafs series is frankly false and quite salty.

Also, you forgot to take into context that they had a crazy condensed schedule of 25 games in like 40 days due to a Covid interruption. They're a better team than their record indicates this year but no where near good enough to win the cup.
Ok great. They are a bubble team at best. If you want to argue over degrees of mediocre, find someone else.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Congrats to them on the National Championship. They will be significant underdogs next round though.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Dominique Ducharme deserves sone credit INO. Of course Price has been a god but you don't go that long without trailing if you're bot doing things well

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
They’re playing like a determined, cohesive team front to back that is executing at a high level at just the right time. If they move on to the next round not sure if they can move past COL/VGK, but shouldn’t rule it out.

They “shouldn’t” have beaten the top ranked Leafs or demoralise the playoff-built Jets 3-0 up, yet here we are.

Price is playing well. Their top 4 of Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmunson are a bit of a fortress right now not giving the opposition good looks. While not overwhelming with high end talent their forwards are strong on the forecheck and counterattack, with a good amount of players who will muck it up and get greasy goals in the paint.

I love playoff hockey, and I love an underdog. Go Habs!

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The Habs are what we thought they were. They're what we thought they were. That's why we took the damn ice. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!

- Joint statement from Keefe and Maurice.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Habs are, surprisingly, the class of what we suspect has always been a bad division. It looks like they will win in four or five games.

Interestingly, Colorado and Vegas finished ahead of Carolina and Tampa Bay, who finished ahead of Boston and NYI, who in turn finished ahead of Winnipeg and Montreal.

So it doesn't matter who wins the four series, the re-seeded third round is set.
  • Colorado or Vegas will play Montreal or Winnipeg in the 1/4 series.
  • Carolina or Tampa Bay will play Boston or NYI in the 2/3 series.
With that said, Montreal will gain a lot of accolades if they can keep their third-round series close versus the team with either the best (Avs) or the second best (Knights) record this year. Everyone has been waiting all year for the North winner to face better opposition in the third round, when a North team finally has to play someone else.

I don't think they can keep it close, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad