What are the Habs, and how realistic is it they challenge for the cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It seems right now Habs media is very very enthusiastic going into this year. I have to admit, their GM went from being one of the worst in the league a few seasons ago to putting a good product on the ice. However, I am wondering just how much of this hype can we expect to be reality from hope?

If we go back to last year, when the season ended the last 15 games of their season with a 5-10 record, which would have them finish solidly last in the league over 82 games. They were in 8th last place at the pause before the bubble brought them back into the picture. They come in hot and take out the Pens in 5 games, showing they have some fight in them and can win a series against experienced teams.

Since then, there have been a lot of changes.

In:
Edmundson
Anderson (extended)
Jake Allen
Toffoli
Frolik
Perry

Out:
5th rounder
Alzner (buyout)
Domi
2 x 7th round picks

Overall a great offseason for them. I don't think there is a question of if they make the postseason, they have a chance to beat any Canadian team in a 7 game series. So this is where things get tricky.

How much do those 5 games in the bubble impact predictions? Are these moves enough to bring the 8th last team, who was trending down at the pause, into top 3 in the North division? And if so, how realistic is it that they not only make the playoffs, but also win Canada and truly challenge for the cup?

What do you make of this team?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
A backup goalie
A guy who scored one goal last year (basically consider him and Domi a wash at best)
A top 9 forward
Two fourth line players
#6/7D

Team was like 24th last year... They have no real chance at the Cup

Not completely fair. Edmundson played top 4 minutes on the Canes and Blues. Toffoli was very good for the Nucks. Anderson had an injury filled season and can be expected to score more than 1 goal.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Chance at a cup?

Zero percent until they develop true elite talent(or acquire it)

I do think they have improved in the off-season, but they were the 24th ranked team before the break and IMHO would have been much better off in the lottery pool.

In the last 3 years, Price has been pretty ordinary for his standards, and one playoff run in a weird year isn't going to change anyone's opinion on that.

In the Canadian division they are easily better than the Sens, but I don't think you can realistically argue they are DEFINITIVELY better than any of the remaining teams.

Now, if they can get their PP going it will help them a lot because they are a solid team at 5 on 5 play.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they possibly could make the playoffs if everything goes right but on balance I think they miss. So a playoff bubble team that lacks the high end talent to be a true contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: EK392000

The90

Feb 27, 2017
or maybe last season was a fluke and they aren't nearly as bad as their record indicates.
To confirm, we’re supposed to believe they were the team that won a play in round because of CP playing lights out, over a 70 game season in which they finished 24th, double digits out of a playoff spot? Am I doing this right?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
likely on the outside looking in unless Price plays like its 2016 again. They could probably compete for the Calder Cup though :dunno:

Reactions: _habsfan9

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
still missing a real 1C to compete... but I think they can finish anywhere from 2nd to 7th in the division.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not completely fair. Edmundson played top 4 minutes on the Canes and Blues. Toffoli was very good for the Nucks. Anderson had an injury filled season and can be expected to score more than 1 goal.
As I said Anderson and Domi are a wash at best.

Edmundson was a healthy scratch at times in the playoffs for both Carolina and STL so its a little false to call him a top 4D.

Tofoli is a good player at times but basically just a 40pt player he doesn't move the needle much.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
As I said Anderson and Domi are a wash at best.

Edmundson was a healthy scratch at times in the playoffs for both Carolina and STL so its a little false to call him a top 4D.

Tofoli is a good player at times but basically just a 40pt player he doesn't move the needle much.

Outside of 5v5, you are ignoring that these moves should improve both the PP and the PK which were really bad. How much, I don't know. But I know Edmundson and Anderson will be a big add to the PK. Having Toffoli over Weal for example improves the PP.

Reactions: viceroy

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It'll be tough to compete when none of their forwards should currently be counted on to put up anything more than 50/55 points in an 82 game season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Outside of 5v5, you are ignoring that these moves should improve both the PP and the PK which were really bad. How much, I don't know. But I know Edmundson and Anderson will be a big add to the PK. Having Toffoli over Weal for example improves the PP.
Domi was also one of your better PP players and Anderson really isn't that great on the PK. PK is much more reliant on goaltending and system than the actual players

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I dunno but that team is getting into that territory of not good enough to compete regularly but not bad enough to star an actual rebuild. I’d give it one more year and start tearing down if it’s not working. Adding Anderson’s, Toffolis and such long term when you are missing the 1C and your 1D and 1G are getting up there in age isn’t an ideal recipe for success.

Reactions: zeke

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
There are no legitimate 'Cup contenders in Canada today...at least not in a normal year.

Last season the Leafs were gifted with the boost avoiding Boston/Tampa in the qualifying round and were handed Columbus instead. Then they were given home arena advantage for the first few rounds...and still they failed.

This season it looks like the top Canadian playoff team will be gifted with a top 4 playoff berth. It remains to be seen if any Canadian team will run with that gift and take the 'Cup. As mediocre as all Canadian teams are, really anyone could finish first in the North and any Canadian team could make the 'Cup semi-finals.

So, the real question is...are the Habs hungry enough? This upcoming season will be their best shot at 'Cup...if they want one they have to step up and grab one. It's wide-open and really up to them.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I think that the Habs will do really well this seasons.
They will play a lot against the same teams in a shortened seasons. They are a pressure and physical team. They play hard, always in 3rd gear.
They don't have the top talent (well, we'll see about that with Suzuki) at centers, but they still have Weber and Price, who are world class players. And they will roll four lines.
The Habs will drag into deep waters every team in the canadian conference. Only Ottawa is even more physical than them (even that is arguable), but even tho they upgraded quite a lot, I don't see them being nearly as good as the Habs.

On pure talent, they upgraded a bit; but the Habs since last year became a much bigger and much more punishing team.

I think that Bergevin took inspiration from the Blues

Reactions: Steveshutt

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

0% chance. They will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Edmundson played top 4 minutes on a Carolina but that’s because we had injuries to Dougie and Pesce. He’s a 5-6D and probably more of a 6D.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It all comes down to the Habs C's. If Suzuki/KK continue their upward progress and build on their playoff successes, the Habs will be in the playoffs. The Habs the depth to do some damage so long as their C's perform.

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad