What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost has about a season more worth of games than what most teams would do. Some teams will hold off even another year. Just by the nature of having ~60-120 more games played will have Jost near the top of the list. Jost will be moving down the list as time goes on. As a rule of thumb, the Avs tend to break in their prospects a season or two earlier in the NHL than other teams. When more players start hitting the 2-3-400 game mark, Jost will be down the list. Not a single player below Jost on that list has played more games. Of players that have played 150+ games, only Mete has scored less.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
"What are the expectations of Tyson Jost?"

I expect that he will continue to show that he was the wrong choice, that my belief of and statement towards...I think Henchy prior to the draft of "I hope the Avs stay away" continues to be proven correct, and that his vocal female contingent of fans will continue to be outraged whenever someone deigns to point out how bad he is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I had no problem selecting Jost 10th overall, almost every team selects a lad that can be classified as their "Tyson Jost" of the organisation ranging from centres to wingers to defenders. What I am concerned with is that Jost doesn't even look like a bottom 6 forward at this point, where other teams' Jost players might not hit their draft pick status, but would've been a serviceable NHL player at some point.

We can all complain about him not spending a second season in North Dakota, but he doesn't look like an NHL player and no second season would have changed this. If Avs want to swallow their pride and put their balls on the wall, they need to take a page out of Roy's book and send him back to the AHL for the entire rest of the season. He has no confidence in his game and is only getting by with special treatment from the FO and coaching staffs'. The biggest problem is doesn't he have to go on waivers now?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I honestly think the biggest issue with Jost is that he plays on a team that doesn't suit his play style/attributes well. I'm no saying he'll magically become a top line player on a different team, but I do believe he could become a solid third liner on a team like St. Louis where player speed isn't necessarily their number one priority. I do believe putting a player like Landeskog with him would allow him to create at a much better pace, versus a player like MacKinnon if viewing by play style not skill set. However this is based on solely speculation and I could be completely out to lunch.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He needs to find a role on the team and chemistry with linemates ASAP. I think he would be best with players that are monsters down low and create havoc, allowing him to pounce on loose change. That’s about the only way he could contribute.

So Viking Mode Landy and Nuke.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I honestly think the biggest issue with Jost is that he plays on a team that doesn't suit his play style/attributes well. I'm no saying he'll magically become a top line player on a different team, but I do believe he could become a solid third liner on a team like St. Louis where player speed isn't necessarily their number one priority. I do believe putting a player like Landeskog with him would allow him to create at a much better pace, versus a player like MacKinnon if viewing by play style not skill set. However this is based on solely speculation and I could be completely out to lunch.

I believe Jost would look better on a team built differently than the Avs. Beyond his skating, Jost has an issue with pace in general. He could play fine with the Avs if he just played with more pace... but not only is he a below average skater, he plays the game slow. That just doesn't work here, or nearly anywhere in the NHL. Jost really is the poster boy of not getting too hyped on a kid in lower levels. Pacing and skating vastly different as players get to the NHL, if it is a key differentiator at their level and they are not elite at it... they'll likely struggle moving up.

I truly don't believe that Jost was ruined by being rushed and his issues wouldn't have been solved if he had played in the AHL for a season or two... but his value wouldn't have been killed. Right now he's a reclamation where you hope that some scout is pounding the table for him ala Lazar and you get a 2nd rounder. Personally if I was running a team, I wouldn't give up more than a third, and I'd look around the league to see whatelse that could get first.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont think Jost has a future with us. I wouldnt mind his low production if he was some kind of Bellemare/Nieto style of player and did a good job on PK and forechecking but he is not that kind of player. And to be honest I even think that Nieto and Bellemare have better hands and speed than him. His spot in the lineup is just waisted. I hope they trade him for something while he has some value thanks to being number 10 in the draft.

It's becoming obvious I think to everyone too, including Jost. Somewhere during the Hall rumors, he seemed to lose all confidence. Likely after hearing whispers about the Avs shipping him out.

He's still working hard, going to the dirty areas, and occasionally makes some good decisions to create some scoring chances, but his execution is just dog shit right now. He's got good puck skills and an accurate shot, but there's a reason why he missed the net by about 15 feet the other day, and so many of his passes are off the mark.

For him to have a chance in the NHL, he needs to go to a team that plays a slower, more deliberate defensive style, and likes to play down low on the cycle. Bednar's skating demands to play his system may be the highest in the league, and along with the Avs preferred style of off the rush play, probably makes them one of the worst fits for Jost stylistically in the NHL.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just want it known that I said Jost wasn't gonna pan out before it was cool
giphy.gif

Reactions: Tralfamadore

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Expectations for Jost? Improve skating and gain strength in the off season. If no visible improvement by training camp you will be sent to the AHL or traded.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Expectations for Jost? Improve skating and gain strength in the off season. If no visible improvement by training camp you will be sent to the AHL or traded.

The latter will adversely affect the former. If he tries bulking up all it’s going to do is slow him down even further.

And this is his third full professional season. If the skating hasn’t improved already it never will.

They need to make a decision NOW or at the deadline. No more holding out hope. He won’t be an impact NHL player, and at the very least it ain’t happening in Colorado.

Reactions: cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I expect that he will continue to show that he was the wrong choice, that my belief of and statement towards...I think Henchy prior to the draft of "I hope the Avs stay away" continues to be proven correct, and that his vocal female contingent of fans will continue to be outraged whenever someone deigns to point out how bad he is.
Jost himself wasn’t the wrong choice. The Avs being dead set on drafting a forward (and what seemed specifically like a future Matt Duchene replacement) was the wrong choice.

Still to this day Jost was the right choice among the reasonable forward suggestions available at that time. I just still can’t figure out for the life of me why they needed to go forward. Maybe it’s simply because I personally thought Chych should have been a top 5 pick but I really struggled to understand their game plan with the 2016 draft. Seems like their decision came down to Jost, Logan Brown and Max Jones. Like why are those your three options with Chych and Mcavoy just sitting there for the taking while your NHL defense had the likes of Tyutin and Wiercioch and your best D prospect is Nicholas Meloche??

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I bought into the Serg hype hard that year...because I still thought a blueliner needed to be big & physical...but since we seemed deadset on picking a forward I was hoping that the NHL's size queens would let Keller slide to us. That would've been sweet.

Reactions: S3rkie

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Unbelievable how much rope this guy has relative to his lack of production. It seems unconscionable to keep playing this guy over others who at least deserve a look see (Bowers, Greer, possibly even Kaut). I'm glad Kam's in but there is no justifiable reason to bench him over Jost when Donskoi returns.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unbelievable how much rope this guy has relative to his lack of production. It seems unconscionable to keep playing this guy over others who at least deserve a look see (Bowers, Greer, possibly even Kaut). I'm glad Kam's in but there is no justifiable reason to bench him over Jost when Donskoi returns.

Well, they're not gonna bring Bowser up to play 5-7 minutes a night when he's playing a top line role in the AHL.

But I agree--when Donk is healthy, Jost needs to come out, not Kam.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Wonder if Joe drafted Jost only to get Patty Roy upset enough to think about jumping ship. Of course then the Radulov situation put the final nail in the coffin.

A sacrifice some could say paid off. Thank you Tyson.

Sakic is truly a mastermind.

Gnargnarbinks

Jun 24, 2018
Alaska

lol really proud of you for being so right, thanks for making sure to point that out while completely avoiding the topic.

Reactions: 95snipes

Gnargnarbinks

Jun 24, 2018
Alaska
100% agree! Unfortunately Josts ship may have sailed. Maybe they are only playing him hoping he can somehow score a few to add some value...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems like their decision came down to Jost, Logan Brown and Max Jones. Like why are those your three options with Chych and Mcavoy just sitting there for the taking while your NHL defense had the likes of Tyutin and Wiercioch and your best D prospect is Nicholas Meloche??
This is so incredibly sad that you can't help but just laugh.

Like what the ****.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad