What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What do you think the FO sees for him?

What do you think the Avs fanbase expects from him?

Do you think the moves so far are an indication of his expected role? If they bring in players for the 2nd line, will it be with the idea Jost will have more success?

Is he seen as a borderline 2nd player and they expect to bring in other borderline guys and let internal competition sort things out?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think the FO sees him as our 2C next season, and that is rather inexplicable to me. His body I’d work thus far firmly places him as a bottom-6 player, topping out as a 3C.

As others who are *way* more knowledgeable have pointed out, his skating as-is just isn’t good enough to be a 2C. However it seems like the Avs are going to go with him, again, in that role and we should not be surprised if, again, he shows he’s not capable to be in that role.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jost seems better suited as a 2nd line Winger. Good defensively ad hardworking, just not strong enough skater to separate himself.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
40+ if he plays 2nd and takes a step forward offensively. With no Carl the defensive responsibilities are gunna be way more spread out though... Unless Sakic addresses it thsi summer

Reactions: klozge

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It all depends on who is wingers are and that’s likely going to be determined in the next few days. Since it looks like he’ll be getting top 6 minutes, I tend to think he’ll be 45+. He looked good in the playoffs and I believe he still has some upside.

Reactions: ljb4

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’s 3rd line caliber right now. Produces at a 3rd line level and with Soda gone he is our best defensive forward after Landy.

Also he has only succeeded at centre. Fails miserably every single time he’s tested on the wing.

I’d like him to be our 3C next year but as of right now he looks to be our 2C which is above his head IMO. However we see 3C’s playing up the lineup every single night in the NHL. If we insulate him with absolute studs (Panarin and Landy as his linemates for example) he’ll probably be passable in that role but certainly not preferred.

If his line 2 wingers are Burakovsky and Kerfoot he’s nowhere near good enough to handle that role and our forward group looks like a train wreck.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I say if he can put up a point per game while being elite defensively and an ace on draws I'd be pleased.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Depends on his role. If he's put in a position to thrive and all goes well, then 30+ points and solid play against the puck should be achievable. If he's overplayed & forced to deal with top 6 minutes all season, then another AHL stint might be called for.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He might be the biggest question mark on the team. Recency bias says he's a legit 2nd line player because that's what how he played in the playoffs alongside Compher and Wilson. Next season I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it starts off with Burky, Jost and Compher on a "2nd" line.

The obvious worry is we're talking about a guy who was deservedly sent down the AHL last season, and should have been sent down significantly sooner than he was. While he showed signs of having figured out his role in the NHL at the end of the year, it's also a really small sample size.

Personally, in an ideal world he's on a 3rd line with Calvert and probably Compher, and not expected to really drive offense, but rather provide consistent 2-way play along the lines of Soderberg.

But I honestly don't know who I'd want on the 2nd line instead. I hope Joe answers than some time in the summer, but all the quotes I've seen from him make it seem like he's happy to go with Jost as the 2C. He may also be expecting Kerfoot to take that role instead, but unless Kerfoot completely changes his game over the summer I'm not too keen on that idea.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He played like a 2nd liner the last 3 games of the playoffs, not the entirety, at least in my opinion.

As far as these predictions ranging from 40 to as many as 60 points...his career high is 26 points. I think some expectations are a little bit too high, just based off of his entire body of work thus far.

That said, I’d love nothing more than to be wrong.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I just expect him to continue to grow, and be more consistent than he was last year.

I think asking him to be the 2nd line center the Avs really need, right now, or to take Soda's role as 3rd line defensive shutdown guy is asking too much of him. And I hope the Avs don't force those roles onto him. He needs confidence, and for things to go well this year.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It's also worth noting that in a "predictions" thread at the beginning of last season, Jost received far and away the most votes for having a "breakout" season. There's a history with the people here and expecting big things from Jost.

So I think the safest bet would be around 30 points.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I hope for something between 40 and 50 points and a convincing performance as our 2nd line center but I'm not sure what to expect. If Kerfoot plays on his line I expect nothing.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I expect more of the same. Invisble for 8 out of every 10 games, but with everyone pointing to the two good ones with "See! This is the real Jost! Where are the naysayers now?!!".... until he disappears again for another two weeks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's also worth noting that in a "predictions" thread at the beginning of last season, Jost received far and away the most votes for having a "breakout" season. There's a history with the people here and expecting big things from Jost.

So I think the safest bet would be around 30 points.
Yep, I was one of those predicting the breakout, too. Fool me once...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad