What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He's been okay the last couple games, but it's too little, too late, IMO. Unless he REALLY starts playing like a top six forward the next couple of months (unlikely to say the least), I think he's done here. There's just not a role for him on this team even if he does occasionally chip in a point here and there.
If he played like a good 3C I’d keep him. It’s not top-6 or nothing for me.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, I suppose it's a good thing when Tyson Jost is pretty much the worst player on the team. You have a pretty good team in that case.

I'm not even sure who the worst player in '16-17 was. Best guess is probably...Carl Soderberg.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Jesus. Are we doing this? The Jost thread gets hits? Get a life. As much as we can criticize, he deserves to be out of this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, I suppose it's a good thing when Tyson Jost is pretty much the worst player on the team. You have a pretty good team in that case.

I'm not even sure who the worst player in '16-17 was. Best guess is probably...Carl Soderberg.
Colborne, by a mile. But you could easily be forgiven for forgetting he existed.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
PEB was brought in to be the 4C, 3C is overworking him just a little, but having Calvert alongside him helps immensely.

And PEB will eventually break down. And if there's no internal replacement you are forced to sign him for another 2 or 3 years and play him too much as he's breaking down.

It's the Cody Mcleod problem.

They desperately need JTC Jost Kamenev and others to start pushing PEB and Calbert down the lineup next year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
And PEB will eventually break down. And if there's no internal replacement you are forced to sign him for another 2 or 3 years and play him too much as he's breaking down.

They desperately need JTC Jost Kamenev and others to start pushing PEB and Calbert down the lineup next year.
It's not that hard to find a new PEB.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

Colborne, by a mile. But you could easily be forgiven for forgetting he existed.

no way, it was Tyutin. Tyutin that year was probably the worst player to wear an Avs uniform since Zanon.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Eh, not worried, they have Kamenev, O’Connor, and Bowers who should be able to do that.

I’m not concerned about Calvert at all. If anything he’s improved his skill set and conditioning since joining the Avs. Both he and PEB are monumentally superior to Cody McLeod, who was pretty much done as an NHL player by the time the Avs dealt him.

Reactions: McMetal

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Eh, not worried, they have Kamenev, O’Connor, and Bowers who should be able to do that.

I’m not concerned about Calvert at all. If anything he’s improved his skill set and conditioning since joining the Avs. Both he and PEB are monumentally superior to Cody McLeod, who was pretty much done as an NHL player by the time the Avs dealt him.

Yeah, Calvert seems to be having his own kind of mini-breakout season, which makes sense given how much he changed and worked on over the off-season - I'm not saying he's suddenly gonna become a top-6 player, but he's definitely had his own version of a renaissance as a player this year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, Calvert seems to be having his own kind of mini-breakout season, which makes sense given how much he changed and worked on over the off-season - I'm not saying he's suddenly gonna become a top-6 player, but he's definitely had his own version of a renaissance as a player this year.

Probably his peak season. He's 30 so it's not like he's going to turn into some new player.

Reactions: rmthomson21

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not expecting any real improvement per se, but I don't necessarily see a rapid decline either. Either way he's only signed for one more season after this.

The guy I'm curious about is Nieto. It sure seems like this is his final season in Colorado, but...I dunno...I still think he's an immensely good defensive forward, I wouldn't be opposed to him sticking around.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Guys like PEB and Calvert who are high motor do anything to make a play are great up until their health/speed drops off just a little and they seem to become useless overnight.

These are the kind of guys a good team with sustainable success can replace internally every few years. Or in Calverts case push him back down the lineup as he ages and starts to slightly regress.

To put it another way... If you can't even develop third and fourth liners within the system... Boy are you screwed.

The Avs seem to be doing better in that part of things. I'm not worried about the ability to develop those type of guys. But Calvert and PEBs next contracts could be ugly if they don't seem to have other options.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The guy I'm curious about is Nieto. It sure seems like this is his final season in Colorado, but...I dunno...I still think he's an immensely good defensive forward, I wouldn't be opposed to him sticking around.

He's going to be a real bargain signing this summer for somebody.

Reactions: Pokecheque

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

well, Jost is worse than Carl so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad