What are the expectations for the Oilers this year?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Expect them to be a bubble team an hoping they don't end up performing as well as Bubbles from trailer park boys instead...

It'll be interesting to see what Tippett will do with that roster and how those system changes will affect the on ice product. I think it will work ok.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Expect them to be a bubble team an hoping they don't end up performing as well as Bubbles from trailer park boys instead...

It'll be interesting to see what Tippett will do with that roster and how those system changes will affect the on ice product. I think it will work ok.

It would be nice. It's a shame to see a player like McDavid go to waste.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I guess the sole silver lining with CMD's injury is that the team does not default to the "pass to McDavid" playbook. If they can put together a semblance of an effective system without CMD, then add CMD back when healthy, they have a chance at ending the season off in the bubble or higher.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Most likely bottom 5 again.

No goaltending.
Atrocious defense.
1 elite forward. 2 complementary forwards, and a whole lot of garbage other than that.

Scoring 50 goals is being a complementary player nowadays. Interesting. Inflammatory statement merchant at it again.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess the sole silver lining with CMD's injury is that the team does not default to the "pass to McDavid" playbook. If they can put together a semblance of an effective system without CMD, then add CMD back when healthy, they have a chance at ending the season off in the bubble or higher.

Is he supposed to miss the start of the season or something?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You've got your opinion, I've got mine. Joe Thornton once propelled Jonathan cheechoo to 56 goals, 93 points. Was he an elite player?

Before his injury, yes he was a very good player.

Draisaitl was also a 51pt (in 70 game) rookie without McDavid and a 77pt player with a good chunk of time away from him too.

But sure, complimentary piece. What does that make Marner or Tavares then?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
They may still suck but the fans still get to watch the greatest player in the world hopefully 82 times.

Connor McDavid is worth attending/watching a hockey game all by himself.

That's probably what all the other Oilers players are doing (minus a few) : watching him

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They have enough huge weapons that they don't have to be that good to be good, if you know what I mean.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Before his injury, yes he was a very good player.

Very good? or Elite?

Draisaitl was also a 51pt (in 70 game) rookie without McDavid
correct, but that's actually all he has.

and a 77pt player with a good chunk of time away from him too.

He scored 57 of those 77 points with McDavid that year. If he spent a good chunk of time away from McDavid that year, he sure as hell has very little to show for it. You're really making a good case... But not the case you're trying to make.

But sure, complimentary piece. What does that make Marner or Tavares then?
Tavares was one of the top goal scorers for the better part of a decade, one of the top point producers, and Hart finalist, playing with garbage for linemates. Sounds more like McDavid than Draisaitl (and no, I'm not saying Tavares = McDavid - but that situation is certainly a lot closer than Draisaitl's).

Marner, well, we don't really know if his results would be as bad as Draisaitl has proven his are, but odds are against it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was actually curious. I hadn't seen any updates on how his recovery was going.

Nor I, but it seems that there was info a few days ago that he was on the ice with other team mates and participating in certain drills and whatnot at a decent enough level. Whether he's 100% vs 60%, no clue. But it does seem like he's tracking well for season start if CMD can do decently well for drills as of right now.

EDIT: Source:

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
They could make the playoffs. I don't much care for their division outside of San Jose, Vegas and Calgary, and other than San Jose I could see the other teams take a step back, not like a below Edmonton step, but a step. I am not a believer in the Arizona hype, LA and Anaheim will probably both suck again, Vancouver probably should be better than the Oilers but who knows. Having said that the Central should be scooping up 5 playoff spots pretty easily but could miss out on that given the level of competition in their division. Oilers probably miss the playoffs and everyone talks about a McDavid trade request that never occurs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
:headache:

I had a stupid moment and I thought he wasn't expected back until November/December. My mistake.

Not 100% your fault. There's some clueless Eastern media trying to push that narrative even though it's completely untrue.

Reactions: Fig

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Very good? or Elite?

correct, but that's actually all he has.

He scored 57 of those 77 points with McDavid that year. If he spent a good chunk of time away from McDavid that year, he sure as hell has very little to show for it. You're really making a good case... But not the case you're trying to make.

Tavares was one of the top goal scorers for the better part of a decade, one of the top point producers, and Hart finalist, playing with garbage for linemates. Sounds more like McDavid than Draisaitl (and no, I'm not saying Tavares = McDavid - but that situation is certainly a lot closer than Draisaitl's).

Marner, well, we don't really know if his results would be as bad as Draisaitl has proven his are, but odds are against it.

Cheechoo scored 28goals in his sophomore season, during the dead puck era, playing with mike Ricci. Then Thornton came so really hard to tell just how good he was without him.

What makes his “odds” against it? If your excuse for calling a 100pt player a “complimentary” piece is that he scored at a 60pt pace as a rookie when not with McDavid , then why is 95pt Marner not also one since he was a 60pt player before Tavares too?

Reactions: RalphKing

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Cheechoo scored 28goals in his sophomore season, during the dead puck era, playing with mike Ricci. Then Thornton came so really hard to tell just how good he was without him.

What makes his “odds” against it? If your excuse for calling a 100pt player a “complimentary” piece is that he scored at a 60pt pace as a rookie when not with McDavid , then why is 95pt Marner not also one since he was a 60pt player before Tavares too?

Don't waste your time.

Trolling Oilers threads on the main boards is basically his full time job.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nor I, but it seems that there was info a few days ago that he was on the ice with other team mates and participating in certain drills and whatnot at a decent enough level. Whether he's 100% vs 60%, no clue. But it does seem like he's tracking well for season start if CMD can do decently well for drills as of right now.

EDIT: Source:

He seems like he's skating around 100%, but they're still keeping him away from any sort of contact. Hopefully just precautionary since there's no reason for him to be getting hit at this stage anyways.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I think they can compete for the last playoff spot. They are going to need to defend better tho.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Draisaitl isn't a complimentary piece, but I don't think he is elite either. There are definitely benefits to playing on a line with the best player in the world. If Draisaitl was centering his own line he would be closer to a 30 goal 75 point guy, which is still really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad