What are the expectations for the Oilers this year?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Most likely bottom 5 again.

No goaltending.
Atrocious defense.
1 elite forward. 2 complementary forwards, and a whole lot of garbage other than that.

Actually they have improved in all areas and if healthy they could compete for a wild card.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Still a lot of question marks. If the Oilers get the James Neal from Vegas, Klefbom stays healthy, some of the guys in the bottom 6 turn out, and their goaltending can hold up, they may have a chance to make the playoffs. That is a lot of things that need to go right though. I think Holland had a pretty solid offseason considering the cap issues the team has. Whether his moves turn out is another question, but I think he addressed a lot of issues on the team with very little resources or options available. He was in a very tight spot and still filled in needs as best as you could expect under the circumstances.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
They were in the playoffs at Xmas weren't they? Then injuries struck and they won 6 in 28 games or something like that. I actually think they will be better than most expect. They'll be in the playoff hunt all season and will come down to the last week to determine whether or not they make it. Tippet will make a difference.

Hmmmmmm......where have we heard that coaching is going to make a difference?

What are we at now? 6 coaches in 8 years??

The last two, pretty good coaches.

When’s the last time Tippet has coached??

You’d think a coach that good would have been picked up sooner?!?!

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It would be refreshing to see them surprise this year but on paper, the roster still needs a lot of work. Maybe next season when there is a lot more cap space freed up we can see it take shape more but for now, probably going to be another long year in Oil Country.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm glad this thread exists so we can cite it in April when people are making thag ridiculous claim that every year is supposed to be the year the oilers turn it around. See this thread? No one believes that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hmmmmmm......where have we heard that coaching is going to make a difference?

What are we at now? 6 coaches in 8 years??

The last two, pretty good coaches.

When’s the last time Tippet has coached??

You’d think a coach that good would have been picked up sooner?!?!

And that's just the Tippet of the iceber...

Yeah, I'll leave.

Reactions: HugginThePost

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It will come down to goaltending. If they get goaltending they will be good. If they get the same goaltending they’ve had the last two years they won’t. It really is that simple.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I might be totally wrong, but I'm predicting that Bouchard will have a strong year for the Oilers. Could be in the Calder talk even. With that I think their defense will be good. But their wingers are straight up garbage and the goaltending is probably average at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad