What are the Blue Jackets doing?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
And I hate the self fulfilling prophecy of "We're not the overwhelming favourite to win, might as well sell off and hope we are in 5 years"
To be fair, Columbus was in a terrible spot with their UFAs regardless, so you need to cut Kekäläinen a little slack.

That being said, selling would have been a better option if both Russians are bolting this summer. Adding this big should be for the top contenders, not for a team who doesn't know what it will look like in five months.

You can be a perennial playoff contender without taking enormous risks like this.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I am sorry you are upset the CBJ traded for two players your team was targeting to make them better. The amount of animosity toward the CBJ for going for it is pretty sad.
Dzingel is pretty bad and I definitely didn’t want Duchene over Stone. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Whats the headline when the Jackets upset the Lightning in game 7 in the 1st round of the playoffs ?
The Battle of Russia: Panarin upstages Kucherov in game 7, has hat trick & 2 assists in Jackets stomping of the Lighting in game 7.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
It's very unlikely that they'll be in the 8th seed. The roster is loaded, they'll have a good shot at winning the division. And what intel makes you think Duchene and Dzingel are "longshots" to sign? They've won the third most games in the league these last three years, and they're very young, it's just ignorance to assume they'll be terrible.
Bobrovsky and Panarin are two of the biggest reasons they have been so good.

Bobrovsky has easily been the best goalie in the league the last three years. Yes, I know he hasn't been great this season, save for the last few weeks. Panarin needs no explanation.

Duchene and Dzingel have no attachment to Columbus at this point. Is it possible the next few months they want to re-sign? Sure.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
To be fair, Columbus was in a terrible spot with their UFAs regardless, so you need to cut Kekäläinen a little slack.

That being said, selling would have been a better option if both Russians are bolting this summer. Adding this big should be for the top contenders, not for a team who doesn't know what it will look like in five months.

You can be a perennial playoff contender without taking enormous risks like this.
Well said. Basically my view on this.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Aside from Tampa, who else from the east should the Blue Jackets be afraid of at this point?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Whats the headline when the Jackets upset the Lightning in game 7 in the 1st round of the playoffs ?
The Battle of Russia: Panarin upstages Kucherov in game 7, has hat trick & 2 assists in Jackets stomping of the Lighting in game 7.
I will believe it when I see it.

Tampa Bay is scary good

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I like what they are doing. Just imagine the next TDL if the Jackets win the Cup this year.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Duchene and Dzingel have no attachment to Columbus at this point. Is it possible the next few months they want to re-sign? Sure.

Really?

maxresdefault.jpg

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm glad to see the Blue Jackets going all in. They owe it to the fanbase to make a good run into the playoffs. After a while asset management gets tiresome and you just have to go for it. Would love to see them upset one of the big teams in the east.

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
Have to hop in here. The Jackets were not a bunch of scrubs plus Panarin/Bobrvosky before the trades, and they are not a bunch of scrubs plus Panarin/Bobrovsky/Duchene/Dzingel now.

Josh Anderson, Cam Atkinson (34 goals), Brandon Dubinsky, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Nick Foligno, Boone Jenner, Alex Wennberg (who regressed this year but still has great potential), Seth Jones (repeat All-Star), Ryan Murray, and Zach Werenski did not magically cease to exist because the team traded a bunch of picks.

In some ways, bringing in Duchene/Dzingel might send a signal to Panarin/Bobrobsky (and their agents) that the team is serious about being competitive both now and in the long run. Whatever slim chance may have existed of re-signing Bobrovsky and Panarin, these moves can only make it larger. Duchene and Dzingel might re-sign anyhow. Even if NONE of them re-sign, that leaves a significant amount of cap space to add a few established players around the aforementioned young core. Add two or more solid veterans to that young core next year and you have a team that is perfectly competitive again, even if it may look drastically different than it does now. And doing that is infinitely more possible when your GM just sent a message that he's not going to play it safe in the name of "asset management" because he thinks he can win now...

The Jackets aren't going all-in for one run. They're looking at 2019-2022, not 2022-2030. I know that's sacrilege on HOCKEY'S FUTURE Boards, but that's reality.

Cbus1979

Jan 18, 2014
Bob wanted to sign with cbj... but the club didnt want to give a Price type contract.The panarin situation is unique to him..not a reflection of the team or city.I wouldnt be surprised if we sign both Duchene and Dzingle...Jarmo seems to be always a step ahead..We did have lime 106 points the year before bread was here and got out of the Saad contract and 2 playoff runs with bread.The cbj are set up for long term success..just like St Louis under JD

Reactions: majormajor

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I understand why they're going all in, and on some level I wish them luck, but man it's not what I would do this season. I think the best they can hope for is to lose in 5 or less in the ECF... is that worth both losing your stars for nothing AND spending assets on guys who might not resign? You could be setting yourself back for years.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Duchene and Dzingel are longshots at best to hang around
I just don't understand this narrative. Columbus might not be for Artemi Panarin, but it's an amazing place to raise a family (Matt just had a kid) and has an excellent quality of life. Dzingel has already stated he's open to signing if they want him; he went to school in Columbus.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Why not? Minnesota could attract some big UFA back then. Players like money.

And heres the thing. We very likely were losing Panarin & Bob prior to making the trade for Duchene Dzingel and we also wanted Stone. Consider we got Bread by trading Saad & Annisimov, and we got Bob by trading Mason and a few of our very core players Cam Atkinson, Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand and Marcus Nuttivara were 3rd round or later picks. If we can keep Duch & Dzing and one of our goalies comes through next year.. and Foudy or Bernstrom or say some free agent that we lure with our 30M of cap room decides hey.. I want to play golf and live on Jack Nicklaus's Miurfield Village and oh by the way this is one of the most affordable places in North America to live... well what the heck.. lets play hockey. If we get to the playoffs, and win a series well I'm all in and I can buy seats in the lower bowl for $60 to $70 bucks and all of a sudden I'm excited because I'm no longer just watching great hockey being played by other teams great players. I was just saying as we beat SJ 4-0 the other night it was probably the best game I have watched from the Jackets in 20 years. We had puck possession, we have great defense.. and one of my favorite players Ryan Murray is hopefully returning from IR.. so you take the fricking futures cause we are trying to win now!!! That's the story I can support. Good on ya Jarmo.. Ohio against the world!!

Reactions: CBJ VGK and 99 CBJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad