What are the Blue Jackets doing?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You know, Jackets fans do as well, but we've pretty much accepted Panarin and Bob will leave. And most of us are ok with it. We wish it were different, but they've earned the right to play where they want. They've given 100% all year, they've never played like they wanted out. It's fascinating to me, Jackets fan still like them both. Huge ovations when introduced, tons of jerseys still. I've never seen anything like this, not that I can recall.

Even if they do leave, Jackets fans are pretty hopeful to sign Duchene and Dzingel. Texier looks like the real deal. Gavrikov will be over, maybe as soon as the 2nd round THIS year. Bemstrom could make the team next year.

Losing Bob and Panarin will hurt. But they are the 5th youngest team in the NHL. Future is still good.
One of the youngest Ds too. Yeah Duchene & Dzingel are the ones i'd sign if i was them. Center is the more premium position as Panarin is not a center & having Duchene/Dubois down the middle is something they can rely on for many many years. My cousin in Ohio has been to some games this year.

Interesting notes: The Jackets eliminated the team that was the first in the 90s expansion era to win the cup in 2004 & the coach of the 2004 Lightning was Torts who's now the coach of the Jackets.
Of the 1990-2000s era expansion teams the Jackets can become the 3rd expansion team of that era to win the cup.
Carolina doesn't count cause they were the Hartford whalers that relocated to Carolina.

Last edited:

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
One of the youngest Ds too. Yeah Duchene & Dzingel are the ones i'd sign if i was them. Center is the more premium position as Panarin is not a center & having Duchene/Dubois down the middle is something they can rely on for many many years. My cousin in Ohio has been to some games this year.

Interesting notes: The Jackets eliminated the team that was the first in the 90s expansion era to win the cup in 2004 & the coach of the 2004 Lightning was Torts who's now the coach of the Jackets.
Of the 1990-2000s era expansion teams the Jackets can become the 3rd expansion team of that era to win the cup.
Carolina doesn't count cause they were the Hartford whalers that relocated to Carolina.

3rd team? Who are the other two? I can see Anaheim (1993)... who else?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
3rd team? Who are the other two? I can see Anaheim (1993)... who else?
Its just Tampa & Anaheim that won it as modern expansion teams both joined in the 1990s, Columbus could be next expansion team to win it all that entered under the old expansion draft rules.
High chance one of the expansion teams wins it this year: Blue Jackets, Jets(Atlanta joined in 1999), Sharks, Predators, Golden Knights.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'll preface this by saying that I think Columbus is taking a very dumb risk, assuming that they keep Panarin and Bobrovsky for a run. That they even make the playoffs is in doubt, and their prospects of doing anything if they get there are low, to say the least.

That said, I see the method to the madness. The BJs have been around some time now, and have had a pretty horrible history. It took them nearly a decade to get into the playoffs. They've since made it 4 times, and have yet to win a series. Last season was the first time they'd gone back-to-back years in the playoffs. The highest they've ever placed in a division is 3rd. Alongside this mediocrity, they've dealt with player retention problems. What talent they've been able to get seems to want out pretty regularly. Nash, Foote, Carter, Johansen, Panarin, etc. Combine that with some bad luck early in their drafting, and Columbus always seems to be playing catch up. Fans have to be sick of it. The organization has to be sick of it.

With all of that bearing down, Kekalainen and Davidson might figure that it's worth the risk to at least give themselves a shot to do something in the postseason this year. To give the fans something other than the same old song and dance. Yeah, it's almost certainly going to end badly for them, but what's the alternative? Wait until the pieces they get from trades mature into something that can make the playoffs again, and repeat ad infinitum? This might very well be their best chance in a while to even attempt to be anything other than mediocre. It might be doomed, but maybe the franchise and the fanbase needs that right now more than they need another batch of promises and patience.
They exceeded my low expectations. And they gave that fanbase something to hold onto. Even if they lose next round, they at least won a series. Boy, did they ever.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They exceeded my low expectations. And they gave that fanbase something to hold onto. Even if they lose next round, they at least won a series. Boy, did they ever.

All of those non-playoff team fans who grudgingly argue that "There is only one winner, and 30 losers" miss the fact that hockey is entertainment, and there's nothing like winning a historic series, regardless of whether you lift the grail at the end.

I would kill to be back in the playoffs, even with a team that has no chance of winning. It's the best time of year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All of those non-playoff team fans who grudgingly argue that "There is only one winner, and 30 losers" miss the fact that hockey is entertainment, and there's nothing like winning a historic series, regardless of whether you lift the grail at the end.

I would kill to be back in the playoffs, even with a team that has no chance of winning. It's the best time of year.

As a Canes fan who got to be at my 1st playoff game in almost 10 years, I can't like this post enough. It sucks the life (hockey life) out of you when you miss year, after year, after year. I was lucky enough to be here in 05/06 and be at every playoff game (as well as 08/09) including Game 7 win in the SCF. While I'll never forget that moment, nor would I trade it, the lack of playoffs take a lot out of you as a fan.

And for CBJ to not only be in the playoffs, but win a round and beat the TBL, the feeling must have been incredible. I tip my hat to the GM and congratulate the fans.

Reactions: BHD and My3Sons

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What are they doing? Really increasing their Vegas odds to play Vegas in the finals.

Still a long road ahead but this is exactly the kind of noise the franchise needs. I was a huge proponent of the moves by Jarmo. Sometimes you push your chips all-in and this was exactly the time to do it.

Dirtfloor

Oct 12, 2016
I don't see Columbus as a viable franchise going forward. Davidson allowed the franchise to have two draft picks in the 2019 draft. Two. That's ugly. I see the franchise heading to Houston, Atlanta, or Salt Lake City.

They're trying to move the franchise elsewhere. Columbus isn't a realistic NHL city.
Yeah?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Its just Tampa & Anaheim that won it as modern expansion teams both joined in the 1990s, Columbus could be next expansion team to win it all that entered under the old expansion draft rules.
High chance one of the expansion teams wins it this year: Blue Jackets, Jets(Atlanta joined in 1999), Sharks, Predators, Golden Knights.

And Dallas (Minnesota) is also an expansion draft team.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
What are they doing? Really increasing their Vegas odds to play Vegas in the finals.

Still a long road ahead but this is exactly the kind of noise the franchise needs. I was a huge proponent of the moves by Jarmo. Sometimes you push your chips all-in and this was exactly the time to do it.
Gutsy moves,very nice grooves

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I'm not sure why someone thinks/thought the Jackets are relocation candidates. Columbus is exactly what the NHL likes in a small market. Well-educated, university presence, young population, growing population. Very bizarre.

Its not even a small market. Columbus is huge, as is Ohio.

Reactions: Toe Pick

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'll take my crow with some hot sauce plz.

Hell of a series by the Jackets, impressive stuff. Congrats to the fans and to the team. I still wouldn't have went with the strategy they did but it worked out!

Reactions: Toe Pick

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You know, Jackets fans do as well, but we've pretty much accepted Panarin and Bob will leave. And most of us are ok with it. We wish it were different, but they've earned the right to play where they want. They've given 100% all year, they've never played like they wanted out. It's fascinating to me, Jackets fan still like them both. Huge ovations when introduced, tons of jerseys still. I've never seen anything like this, not that I can recall.

Even if they do leave, Jackets fans are pretty hopeful to sign Duchene and Dzingel. Texier looks like the real deal. Gavrikov will be over, maybe as soon as the 2nd round THIS year. Bemstrom could make the team next year.

Losing Bob and Panarin will hurt. But they are the 5th youngest team in the NHL. Future is still good.

This is what annoyed me the most after the deadline moves...the criticism that we gutted our future for 1 shot at post season success.

Anyone that took the time to look at the prospects in the pipeline, and to honestly assess the % of success of late 1st round, and post 1st round, draft picks could see that while Jarmo sacrificed some long term growth, he still left the cupboard stocked for Torts.

I was naive and excited in 2013 going into the draft with 3 first round picks....just to see them not really pan out. (Wennberg, Dano, Rychel).

If you aren't a lottery team picking in the top 5, the typical entry draft is a crapshoot.

Even if Bread and Bob move on, and they likely will, I'll be expecting the CBJ to be playing post season hockey for years to come.

RageDaddy

Apr 17, 2019
Sorsapuisto, Finland
2ysax1.jpg

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Even if Bread and Bob move on, and they likely will, I'll be expecting the CBJ to be playing post season hockey for years to come.

They will score and they will have a good defensive group. But Korpi isn't a starting goalie. They will have to get someone or hope that Elvis is ready to jump in the deep end.....the Sharks are learning what it's like to have 18 good skaters and pure shit in net.

Reactions: BHD

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Out of all the teams ive watched in playoffs, this CBJ squad looks most dominant IMO. They are flying in every aspect of the game and honestly look unstoppable.

The other team that i find to be also impressing me is VGK big time.

And that's no disrespect to the other good teams in the playoffs

IMO jarmo just earned himself a 5 year extension after the chance he took and so far is paying off

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This thread is hilarious proof that people will act like an expert on subjects they don't have any idea about. I'm not even talking about the trades... the comments people have had about the state of the CBJ org (trading the future lol), the future of the franchise, expectations, the size of the market.... the list is hilarious and stupid.

Reactions: iamjs and Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad