What are the Blue Jackets doing?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just traded a huge package including potentially two firsts to Ottawa for a UFA in a few months. This means they have a #1 C, #1 W, and #1 G all set to walk. If this happens, the roster will be significantly downgraded and they will have impacted their prospect pool moving two of their better prospects plus a first.

What is the upside here? The GM saving his job? They currently don't even hold a playoff spot. This means their likely best case scenario is sneaking into a wildcard spot... and having to go through Tampa / Pens / Caps in the first few rounds depending on how thing settle.

Seems like terrible asset management considering the realistic return is a first round exit? Do others disagree? Does anyone see them doing real damage in the playoffs, especially in the east with so many heavy hitters?

Especially if Duchene does sign and they lose the other two, the roster which isn't a current playoff team is missing an elite goalie with no replacement, an elite winger who might get their production replaced by Duchene if they are lucky.. and no 1st that year.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
They've got two games in hand, and are one point back. They can easily secure a wildcard slot assuming they don't fall apart, which is a gamble, but clearly Jarmo thinks this is a good move. I can't say them picking up another impact forward like Duchene is a bad move.

And strategically, this either really jacks the price on Panarin to a level no one will pay, and it helps Ottawa secure more assets by taking two scoring forwards off the list.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just traded a huge package including potentially two firsts to Ottawa for a UFA in a few months. This means they have a #1 C, #1 W, and #1 G all set to walk. If this happens, the roster will be significantly downgraded and they will have impacted their prospect pool moving two of their better prospects plus a first.

What is the upside here? The GM saving his job? They currently don't even hold a playoff spot. This means their likely best case scenario is sneaking into a wildcard spot... and having to go through Tampa / Pens / Caps in the first few rounds depending on how thing settle.

Seems like terrible asset management considering the realistic return is a first round exit? Do others disagree? Does anyone see them doing real damage in the playoffs, especially in the east with so many heavy hitters?

Especially if Duchene does sign and they lose the other two, the roster which isn't a current playoff team is missing an elite goalie with no replacement, an elite winger who might get their production replaced by Duchene if they are lucky.. and no 1st that year.
They're trying to make a run, I guess. I think they probably see themselves making a run in the playoffs, maybe if they go deep they can convince Panarin to stay? Idk.

Reactions: Yung Rotini

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I think something else will happen. As it stands, the trade doesn't make much sense from Columbus' perspective. Panarin, Bob and Duchene are all walking on July 1st. And if Duchene does not walk, frankly it's even worse for Columbus. I don't think he is a replacement for Panarin, at all.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
They have no playoff series won in their history , perhaps getting that monkey off their back is more important to building the brand than always playing it "safe"?
They have a good understanding of what Bob and Panarin are worth in today's trade climate and perhaps decided it was in their interest to go big or go home.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The upside is the prospect of a Stanley cup

This, [mod] Columbus is on the bubble, were in a playoff position and have been competitive all year, they were never a pure seller.

People on here are too hung up on returns, they didn't blow up their future for this trade. They know they're going to lose Panarin keeping him for a push more than the possible return, they can go for one huge push with this move and if it fails they still have good young pieces to fallback on and re-toll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Trying.

Refreshing to see a team not sit around licking their wounds with upcoming UFA's. Granted, they could have made a decision earlier - and maybe they simply plan on picking up 1st(s) for Panarin anyway...but right now it looks like they're just gonna go for it. Good on em.

As feel good as it is on HFboards where anything anti tank is loved, I can promise that as soon as a week after the playoffs Jacket's will have wished they retooled assets rather than potentially lose three high end assets + the return of two other huge trade chips.

Look at Boston as a good comparable when they moved Lucic and co and had three mid firsts and went from a team on the decline to injecting the franchise with youth and skill. Something similar could have easily happened here.

Just head scratching. Like I said even if they make the playoffs they face Tampa in the first round. And if they somehow upset that series they get one of the Pens / Caps

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They have no playoff series won in their history , perhaps getting that monkey off their back is more important to building the brand than always playing it "safe"?
They have a good understanding of what Bob and Panarin are worth in today's trade climate and perhaps decided it was in their interest to go big or go home.

They have a good young core in place after the UFA's leave with a TON of capspace to play with as well. Not like this team is blowing themselves up.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think its a good move. If bob and panarin leave, its going to be a long time before cbj ever has this much talent again on the roster. Might as well load up and go for it this year.

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->