What are some offensive-minded defenseman that flat out suck on D?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hughes for sure.
Dougie Hamilton when he got to Calgary was... not so good. His analytics really didn't match what you saw on the ice most night. Lack of awareness killed him. By his second and third season in town his defence was passable for what he produced offensively.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
John Carlson is a defensive liability. Gostisbehere was a defensive hole when he was good offensively.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Girard

Theodore

Shattinkirk

Burns

Yandle

Myers

OEL

Dumba

Barrie

Rielly

Krug

Nurse (He can at least be physical, poor IQ)

Girard doesn't belong on this list, unless you're only looking at the last 6 games he played against Vegas. He's extremely solid defensively, and his offense is only now starting to catch up.

Reactions: Chips

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
John Carlson is a defensive liability. Gostisbehere was a defensive hole when he was good offensively.

Carlson is far from a liability.

Gostisbehere I think is poorly understood. When he's good, he's quite good in both directions. When he's bad, he's absolutely terrible in both directions. For most of the past three seasons, he's just been all-around bad.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Fox's best zone is the defensive zone. You seem to have looked at his stats and height, and decided he can't defend without watching him defend. I can't believe this guy won the Norris, and there are still people who think he's a sheltered PP defenseman.

I decided not even to respond to the original poster because I knew it was a lost cause/troll job, but the fact is Fox is honestly closer to a defensive stalwart than offensive stud. He makes good offensive plays that lead to points, and occasionally they’re even a bit flashy, but most of his points accumulate due to sheer intelligent puck movement and ability to read the game. Adam Fox is a guy who I’d rate 9/10 defensively, 8/10 offensively and 11/10 IQ. If he had the offensive skill of guys like Carlson to go with the rest of his tools, he’d be the McDavid of defenseman. His offense, while great, is almost the least noteworthy part of his game.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Ristolainen has never had a positive +/- season in his career. A -41 in 2018/2019 with 43 points tells me that pucks might have a strong tendency to go into his team's net while he's on the ice playing "defence".

+/- is almost purely a team stat. Play more minutes on a crap team and you will have a worse +/-

Kulikov was a -26 here and a +6 the following year with Winnipeg.

Bogosian didn't have a single positive +/- season until he left Buffalo.

Ryan O'Reilly was a -23 in his final season in Buffalo. For the Blues he won a Selke and was a +22.

Taylor Hall was a -21 for the Sabres and a +15 for the Bruins in the same shortened season.

Montour was a -13 for the Sabres and a +8 for the Panthers in the same shortened season.

I can't believe people even look at +/- still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad