What are some offensive-minded defenseman that flat out suck on D?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I always felt Shattenkirk was a weird pick here and just kind of a meme. He's a bad turnover or two that just kind of turned into something people just say because they've heard it.

Since 2012, he ranks in the top 60 amongst all defensemen (3000 mins played) in goals against per 60. For somebody so atrocious defensively, he's been around for ten years and opponents can't score on him.

You know what the problem is with Shattenkirk? You can't show me one significant timeframe over the past decade where his even strength OFFENSE is above replacement level.

He has a good a shot and was really good at QBing the powerplay in his prime, but at 5v5 he's basically the opposite of what people say he is.

Reactions: shadow1

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Barrie and Hughes are the two most prominent I feel. Somebody made a good post explaining that Barrie/Shattenkirk/Karlsson were once upon a time passable and maybe even average defensively and I agree with that. I feel their defensive games fell off when their skating did as that was their number one tool to defending well.

With Hughes I’m guessing he just has a lot to learn.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I saw the Keith Yandle bat signal in the sky. And I thought, "what the hell?". Lead me right to this thread.

Yandle has always been bad defensively. He doesn't battle in corners, and doesn't clear out the crease, which begins to explain his ironman streak. He's also good for at least one ill-advised breakout pass per game.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I feel like a lot of these defenseman names are a bit unjust. Guys like Yandle, Barrie, Karlsson, Shattenkirk, etc. aren’t defensive stalwarts and are liabilities today, but in their prime they were passable defensively besides the occasional brain farts. They weren’t guys you want out to defend a lead the last two minutes of a game, but it wasn’t like it was a guaranteed scoring chance if the puck came their way either.

Karlsson in his prime would play like the last 5 minutes of playoff games when defending a lead.

This is a great thread to filter people who don't know what they are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad