Post-Game Talk: What An Intense Finish! Leafs Win 5-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
Santo is so good. Even when he isn't scoring, just so responsible and strong on the puck. Lots of smart decisions (I hate the term hockey IQ) and can play all through the line-up.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
His strange, his improved every year in every year in every league, must be because he keeps working his ass off. He's background probably explains that, from a poor family, immigrants and all from Estonia, he had to give his best every day to make a team in Finland.

Working his ass off indeed! What fun to see a guy who loves what he is doing and appreciates it. If your backstory is true, and I don't doubt it for a minute, what a refreshing scenario he has lived. Far from the idiotic AAA minor hockey crowd we see slithering around Canadian arenas now

leafstilldeath*

I would be fine with Gards as a forward playing point on PP

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Coaching staff finally catching up to the myth about Bozo being a "defensive" player.

Drives me nuts how loose he is on his checks in the defensive zone. That 4th NYR goal, he was just floating between two Rangers and faked out Rielly into thinking he would cover the one in front. Rielly should have known better, so it's still mostly his fault, but my god Bozak is just clueless in his own end. He eventually turned around and went to cover the guy off to the side of the net, and then completely lost body position and somehow managed to end up on the other side so that it was basically two Rangers completely uncovered with half the net empty. :facepalm:

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 31s32 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
Jake Gardiner on Komarov's goal ensuring his giveaway didn't cost Leafs: "I'm going to have to give Leo a few hugs"

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Game
Well glad they got the win right in time for my 30th birthday, a roller coaster game where you can't really decide if they are playing good or bad. In the end I love seeing the win, but it was most of all a game of mistakes.

Opposition
Rangers played decently most of the time, but it was easy to see how depleted their defense is. A lot of our offense came from abusing their weak defensive depth with a bunch of guys out.

Team
Toronto looked bad tonight defensively, but for a different reason than previously. I've highlighted our weak breakout structure in the last few games. Well it wasn't good tonight either, but the problem was more individual mistakes than team breakdowns. Gotta clean that up, but for that to happen we need better from Gardiner, Rielly and Robidas.

Great
Kessel - Was one of the best players on the ice tonight in my opinion, created a ton of chances and felt dangerous every time he had the puck. It was one of those nights when both JVR and Bozak was just passengers as Kessel ruled.
Komarov - As Kessel drove the play on the first line, Komarov did the same on the third. He was everywhere tonight, playing physically, responsible defensively, added a goal and an assist. The best player on the ice.

Good
Phaneuf - Started out weakly, stood around at one goal and made some bad reads. Played better as the game went along. With half of our D-men struggling we need him more than normal right now.
Polak - Well deserved goal, brought a few bombs this game and is always very active and aggressive on the ice. I've said he's been playing his best hockey so far this season, and it doesn't seem like he's slowing down.
Kadri - I think Naz was good tonight, but I do think that he's a little bit off with his decision-making offensively. He would do well to play with a bit more patience, and I think he would be rewarded for it. Has increased his effort level in the defensive zone, something I find very noticeble. Beastly on the draws from what I remember, near 70% at one point.
Panik - He's looking like a good piece now when he's getting more ice time. Did well on that second line, works hard and plays physical. Always goes to the slot, which is exactly what he should do.
Clarkson - Started the game with a very nice pokecheck to prevent a breakaway, had a nice cycling game going and tried to be disruptive. He's really not a good passer though.

Average
Franson - Not as noticeable as he's been for much of the season, was chasing players in the defensive zone a bit much and also had a turnover that could have cost us the game. Still better than last year though.
Bozak - I honestly like Bozak better when he's away from Kessel and JVR. He was ok tonight and I'm not really complaining, but he does have a problem handling passes. Way too often it seems to bounce of his stick. That's details though.
JVR - Was on and off this game, but mostly off. Sometimes he's very noticeable, bringing the puck in front of the goal with determination just like Nash on the other hand. He was a passenger mostly tonight, except for the nice feed on the Kessel goal.
Santorelli - He's not being as effective along the boards anymore. I'm not sure what it is. A little worn down already? Had a couple of games in a row now where he's decent, but not constantly noticeable as he was initially.
Holland - Dutch was ok tonight and had a nice goal, but he feels like a complementary player on a third line which is not what I would have hoped from him coming into the season. There's something lacking in his game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Bad
Bernier - I'm on the verge of saying that we should just ride Reimer until Bernier gets his knee problem squared out, because he's not a mobile goaltender right now. Played well to close the game down, but mobility and his game down low is a big issue.
Gardiner - Read the situation perfectly and created the goal that won the game, but that was in a series of good shifts in a game that was otherwise mostly bad ones. I defend him a lot, and I still get annoyed at people who are blind to the results he's brought previously, but so far this season he's not skating as well, he's not tilting the ice and he looks bad defensively. We need him to be better.
Rielly - Had a much better third period than the first two, but he was shaky tonight and had a few too many mistakes. I have a sneaky feeling that he's on the way up though, getting his confidence up and starting to get creative again.
Carrick - The fourth line was bad the whole night, didn't get anything done. Carrick was the best among them, but did nothing while on the ice to earn more ice time.

Awful
Robidas - I was cautiously optimistic after that pre-season game, thinking he looked like the Robidas from before all the injuries. Right now he looks slow, weak on his skates and constantly getting into trouble that he can't really handle. We need to take it slower with him as things are now, bench him or play him few minutes until he can get his game back.
Leivo - I was excited to see Josh in his first game of the season, but he did really not have a good game. It seemed every puck touch turned into something bad for him tonight.
Frattin - I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Frattin has just been awful constantly this year. I'll say it again, I think he's a broken player who should be benched in favor of... hell, I'd even take Orr before him.

I'd bump Rielly, Bernier, and Holland each up one tier.

Rielly had a pretty good game in mmy opinion. A few shaky moments, but was great on the breakout and seems like he took the statement that he needs to move more to heart.

Holland was good on the PK, had a great move to score, and good on the forecheck tonight. A game he needs to build on IMO.

Bernier wasn't like typical Bernier in net (a lot of battling), but he made a number of great saves and was at least average tonight... Defense left him out to dry a few times and there was no really weak goal.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I liked how Holland played tonight. Maybe trial him with Kessel and have Komarov as the third linemate. Likewise Panic should be be kept in a top six role seeing that he's been playing pretty well.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Game
Well glad they got the win right in time for my 30th birthday, a roller coaster game where you can't really decide if they are playing good or bad. In the end I love seeing the win, but it was most of all a game of mistakes.

Opposition
Rangers played decently most of the time, but it was easy to see how depleted their defense is. A lot of our offense came from abusing their weak defensive depth with a bunch of guys out.

Team
Toronto looked bad tonight defensively, but for a different reason than previously. I've highlighted our weak breakout structure in the last few games. Well it wasn't good tonight either, but the problem was more individual mistakes than team breakdowns. Gotta clean that up, but for that to happen we need better from Gardiner, Rielly and Robidas.

Great
Kessel - Was one of the best players on the ice tonight in my opinion, created a ton of chances and felt dangerous every time he had the puck. It was one of those nights when both JVR and Bozak was just passengers as Kessel ruled.
Komarov - As Kessel drove the play on the first line, Komarov did the same on the third. He was everywhere tonight, playing physically, responsible defensively, added a goal and an assist. The best player on the ice.

Good
Phaneuf - Started out weakly, stood around at one goal and made some bad reads. Played better as the game went along. With half of our D-men struggling we need him more than normal right now.
Polak - Well deserved goal, brought a few bombs this game and is always very active and aggressive on the ice. I've said he's been playing his best hockey so far this season, and it doesn't seem like he's slowing down.
Kadri - I think Naz was good tonight, but I do think that he's a little bit off with his decision-making offensively. He would do well to play with a bit more patience, and I think he would be rewarded for it. Has increased his effort level in the defensive zone, something I find very noticeble. Beastly on the draws from what I remember, near 70% at one point.
Panik - He's looking like a good piece now when he's getting more ice time. Did well on that second line, works hard and plays physical. Always goes to the slot, which is exactly what he should do.
Clarkson - Started the game with a very nice pokecheck to prevent a breakaway, had a nice cycling game going and tried to be disruptive. He's really not a good passer though.

Average
Franson - Not as noticeable as he's been for much of the season, was chasing players in the defensive zone a bit much and also had a turnover that could have cost us the game. Still better than last year though.
Bozak - I honestly like Bozak better when he's away from Kessel and JVR. He was ok tonight and I'm not really complaining, but he does have a problem handling passes. Way too often it seems to bounce of his stick. That's details though.
JVR - Was on and off this game, but mostly off. Sometimes he's very noticeable, bringing the puck in front of the goal with determination just like Nash on the other hand. He was a passenger mostly tonight, except for the nice feed on the Kessel goal.
Santorelli - He's not being as effective along the boards anymore. I'm not sure what it is. A little worn down already? Had a couple of games in a row now where he's decent, but not constantly noticeable as he was initially.
Holland - Dutch was ok tonight and had a nice goal, but he feels like a complementary player on a third line which is not what I would have hoped from him coming into the season. There's something lacking in his game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Bad
Bernier - I'm on the verge of saying that we should just ride Reimer until Bernier gets his knee problem squared out, because he's not a mobile goaltender right now. Played well to close the game down, but mobility and his game down low is a big issue.
Gardiner - Read the situation perfectly and created the goal that won the game, but that was in a series of good shifts in a game that was otherwise mostly bad ones. I defend him a lot, and I still get annoyed at people who are blind to the results he's brought previously, but so far this season he's not skating as well, he's not tilting the ice and he looks bad defensively. We need him to be better.
Rielly - Had a much better third period than the first two, but he was shaky tonight and had a few too many mistakes. I have a sneaky feeling that he's on the way up though, getting his confidence up and starting to get creative again.
Carrick - The fourth line was bad the whole night, didn't get anything done. Carrick was the best among them, but did nothing while on the ice to earn more ice time.

Awful
Robidas - I was cautiously optimistic after that pre-season game, thinking he looked like the Robidas from before all the injuries. Right now he looks slow, weak on his skates and constantly getting into trouble that he can't really handle. We need to take it slower with him as things are now, bench him or play him few minutes until he can get his game back.
Leivo - I was excited to see Josh in his first game of the season, but he did really not have a good game. It seemed every puck touch turned into something bad for him tonight.
Frattin - I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Frattin has just been awful constantly this year. I'll say it again, I think he's a broken player who should be benched in favor of... hell, I'd even take Orr before him.

Bernier wasn't bad in net, and Holland wasn't average to me. He showed a great effort on the pk and had the patience on the 2nd goal for Talbot to commit first then shoot in the empty net. They deserve to be bumped up a spot.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Waters is saying they should play Gardiner as a forward.

Waters mentioned that on the radio not to long ago.

He was saying that he talked to scouts throughout the league and some suggested they try him out there.

Carlyle said during his pre-game presser that you start to realize what a player is after the 300 game mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad