Post-Game Talk: What An Intense Finish! Leafs Win 5-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Phaneuf:
14GP 1G 5A 6P +5 46Hits 27Blockshots

Weber:
14GP 4G 2A 6P +8 31Hits 33Blockshots

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
Phaneuf is in the same boat that McCabe was in. He makes disastrous mistakes, but he'll more often than not give you a solid performance. Leafs nation didn't appreciate McCabe until he was run out of town as well..

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Phaneuf is in the same boat that McCabe was in. He makes disastrous mistakes, but he'll more often than not give you a solid performance. Leafs nation didn't appreciate McCabe until he was run out of town as well..

correct, he is a good serviceable defenseman like Mcabe, not a cornerstone of a contender.
When he is our captain and #1 and taking a massive cap space, this team will remain average at best.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Also McCabe's signature move was made illegal. He's the reason it's called the can opener.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I still can't figure out if this team makes the playoffs.

looks pretty tough in the East.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Played rather physical and chirpy too. I like that, I think Kadri is at his best when he plays that way. Not just overall, I have a feeling his offense actually thrives when games get emotional.

I agree he plays much better when he is pissed off and plays with emotion....he had a great game, and him and Kamo were easily our best forwards. Kadri had a good game at the dot as well 13/19 68%

I thought that the Leafs had emotion from the second and 3rd lines as well as Kessel, Bozak was at best average.

Rielly had a shaky start to the game but was fanatastic in the last two periods and our best D man. Rielly is our best D man over all this season, it is time for people to watch and see just what he is bring each game.

Franson was horrible, Dion was very good in the last 5 minutes of the game, but average the balance of the game and watched a lot.

Bernier fought the puck but sure made some key saves.

Clarkson and Panik played well.

Why Leivo only played 7 minutes is a mystery.

TheThrill81*

The only comparison you can make between the two is that both have played for the Leafs, and that's where it ends.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Game
Well glad they got the win right in time for my 30th birthday, a roller coaster game where you can't really decide if they are playing good or bad. In the end I love seeing the win, but it was most of all a game of mistakes.

Opposition
Rangers played decently most of the time, but it was easy to see how depleted their defense is. A lot of our offense came from abusing their weak defensive depth with a bunch of guys out.

Team
Toronto looked bad tonight defensively, but for a different reason than previously. I've highlighted our weak breakout structure in the last few games. Well it wasn't good tonight either, but the problem was more individual mistakes than team breakdowns. Gotta clean that up, but for that to happen we need better from Gardiner, Rielly and Robidas.

Great
Kessel - Was one of the best players on the ice tonight in my opinion, created a ton of chances and felt dangerous every time he had the puck. It was one of those nights when both JVR and Bozak was just passengers as Kessel ruled.
Komarov - As Kessel drove the play on the first line, Komarov did the same on the third. He was everywhere tonight, playing physically, responsible defensively, added a goal and an assist. The best player on the ice.

Good
Phaneuf - Started out weakly, stood around at one goal and made some bad reads. Played better as the game went along. With half of our D-men struggling we need him more than normal right now.
Polak - Well deserved goal, brought a few bombs this game and is always very active and aggressive on the ice. I've said he's been playing his best hockey so far this season, and it doesn't seem like he's slowing down.
Kadri - I think Naz was good tonight, but I do think that he's a little bit off with his decision-making offensively. He would do well to play with a bit more patience, and I think he would be rewarded for it. Has increased his effort level in the defensive zone, something I find very noticeble. Beastly on the draws from what I remember, near 70% at one point.
Panik - He's looking like a good piece now when he's getting more ice time. Did well on that second line, works hard and plays physical. Always goes to the slot, which is exactly what he should do.
Clarkson - Started the game with a very nice pokecheck to prevent a breakaway, had a nice cycling game going and tried to be disruptive. He's really not a good passer though.

Average
Franson - Not as noticeable as he's been for much of the season, was chasing players in the defensive zone a bit much and also had a turnover that could have cost us the game. Still better than last year though.
Bozak - I honestly like Bozak better when he's away from Kessel and JVR. He was ok tonight and I'm not really complaining, but he does have a problem handling passes. Way too often it seems to bounce of his stick. That's details though.
JVR - Was on and off this game, but mostly off. Sometimes he's very noticeable, bringing the puck in front of the goal with determination just like Nash on the other hand. He was a passenger mostly tonight, except for the nice feed on the Kessel goal.
Santorelli - He's not being as effective along the boards anymore. I'm not sure what it is. A little worn down already? Had a couple of games in a row now where he's decent, but not constantly noticeable as he was initially.
Holland - Dutch was ok tonight and had a nice goal, but he feels like a complementary player on a third line which is not what I would have hoped from him coming into the season. There's something lacking in his game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Bad
Bernier - I'm on the verge of saying that we should just ride Reimer until Bernier gets his knee problem squared out, because he's not a mobile goaltender right now. Played well to close the game down, but mobility and his game down low is a big issue.
Gardiner - Read the situation perfectly and created the goal that won the game, but that was in a series of good shifts in a game that was otherwise mostly bad ones. I defend him a lot, and I still get annoyed at people who are blind to the results he's brought previously, but so far this season he's not skating as well, he's not tilting the ice and he looks bad defensively. We need him to be better.
Rielly - Had a much better third period than the first two, but he was shaky tonight and had a few too many mistakes. I have a sneaky feeling that he's on the way up though, getting his confidence up and starting to get creative again.
Carrick - The fourth line was bad the whole night, didn't get anything done. Carrick was the best among them, but did nothing while on the ice to earn more ice time.

Awful
Robidas - I was cautiously optimistic after that pre-season game, thinking he looked like the Robidas from before all the injuries. Right now he looks slow, weak on his skates and constantly getting into trouble that he can't really handle. We need to take it slower with him as things are now, bench him or play him few minutes until he can get his game back.
Leivo - I was excited to see Josh in his first game of the season, but he did really not have a good game. It seemed every puck touch turned into something bad for him tonight.
Frattin - I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Frattin has just been awful constantly this year. I'll say it again, I think he's a broken player who should be benched in favor of... hell, I'd even take Orr before him.

Compete/intensity is what is missing from Hollands game. He looks like he's having a Sunday skate out there most nights.

Agreed with most of the rest of your post. Didn't really like Clarksons game though. Invisible most of the night, outside of the screen I suppose.

Hocks95*

Phaneuf:

Weber:

omg seriously?? Did you ACTUALLY just subtly compare Phaneuf to Shea **** Weber???????????????????????????????????
:help: :shakehead: :banghead: :damnpc: :facepalm: :laugh:

Happy for the win though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheThrill81*

omg seriously?? Did you ACTUALLY just subtly compare Phaneuf to Shea *** Weber???????????????????????????????????
:help: :shakehead: :banghead: :damnpc: :facepalm: :laugh:

Happy for the win though.

He was only comparing stats so far this season, or did that go right over your head?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree he plays much better when he is pissed off and plays with emotion....he had a great game, and him and Kamo were easily our best forwards. Kadri had a good game at the dot as well 13/19 68%

I thought that the Leafs had emotion from the second and 3rd lines as well as Kessel, Bozak was at best average.

Rielly had a shaky start to the game but was fanatastic in the last two periods and our best D man. Rielly is our best D man over all this season, it is time for people to watch and see just what he is bring each game.

Franson was horrible, Dion was very good in the last 5 minutes of the game, but average the balance of the game and watched a lot.

Bernier fought the puck but sure made some key saves.

Clarkson and Panik played well.

Why Leivo only played 7 minutes is a mystery.

Leivo made some bad decisions with the puck and wasn't as strong along the boards as he's shown before. IMO. Not terrible but for his first NHL game back from the Marlies you have to get used to the speed and decisions making again. Big difference playing against the big boys of the Rangers and the NHL vs. AHL speed.
We got the 2 points but we are back to our 5-4, 6-5 vs. the Oilers style track meet game. Out score the problems. We need to tighten up defensively.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
I'd bump Rielly, Bernier, and Holland each up one tier.

Rielly had a pretty good game in mmy opinion. A few shaky moments, but was great on the breakout and seems like he took the statement that he needs to move more to heart.

Holland was good on the PK, had a great move to score, and good on the forecheck tonight. A game he needs to build on IMO.

Bernier wasn't like typical Bernier in net (a lot of battling), but he made a number of great saves and was at least average tonight... Defense left him out to dry a few times and there was no really weak goal.

agree

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Game
Well glad they got the win right in time for my 30th birthday, a roller coaster game where you can't really decide if they are playing good or bad. In the end I love seeing the win, but it was most of all a game of mistakes.

Opposition
Rangers played decently most of the time, but it was easy to see how depleted their defense is. A lot of our offense came from abusing their weak defensive depth with a bunch of guys out.

Team
Toronto looked bad tonight defensively, but for a different reason than previously. I've highlighted our weak breakout structure in the last few games. Well it wasn't good tonight either, but the problem was more individual mistakes than team breakdowns. Gotta clean that up, but for that to happen we need better from Gardiner, Rielly and Robidas.

Great
Kessel - Was one of the best players on the ice tonight in my opinion, created a ton of chances and felt dangerous every time he had the puck. It was one of those nights when both JVR and Bozak was just passengers as Kessel ruled.
Komarov - As Kessel drove the play on the first line, Komarov did the same on the third. He was everywhere tonight, playing physically, responsible defensively, added a goal and an assist. The best player on the ice.

Good
Phaneuf - Started out weakly, stood around at one goal and made some bad reads. Played better as the game went along. With half of our D-men struggling we need him more than normal right now.
Polak - Well deserved goal, brought a few bombs this game and is always very active and aggressive on the ice. I've said he's been playing his best hockey so far this season, and it doesn't seem like he's slowing down.
Kadri - I think Naz was good tonight, but I do think that he's a little bit off with his decision-making offensively. He would do well to play with a bit more patience, and I think he would be rewarded for it. Has increased his effort level in the defensive zone, something I find very noticeble. Beastly on the draws from what I remember, near 70% at one point.
Panik - He's looking like a good piece now when he's getting more ice time. Did well on that second line, works hard and plays physical. Always goes to the slot, which is exactly what he should do.
Clarkson - Started the game with a very nice pokecheck to prevent a breakaway, had a nice cycling game going and tried to be disruptive. He's really not a good passer though.

Average
Franson - Not as noticeable as he's been for much of the season, was chasing players in the defensive zone a bit much and also had a turnover that could have cost us the game. Still better than last year though.
Bozak - I honestly like Bozak better when he's away from Kessel and JVR. He was ok tonight and I'm not really complaining, but he does have a problem handling passes. Way too often it seems to bounce of his stick. That's details though.
JVR - Was on and off this game, but mostly off. Sometimes he's very noticeable, bringing the puck in front of the goal with determination just like Nash on the other hand. He was a passenger mostly tonight, except for the nice feed on the Kessel goal.
Santorelli - He's not being as effective along the boards anymore. I'm not sure what it is. A little worn down already? Had a couple of games in a row now where he's decent, but not constantly noticeable as he was initially.
Holland - Dutch was ok tonight and had a nice goal, but he feels like a complementary player on a third line which is not what I would have hoped from him coming into the season. There's something lacking in his game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Bad
Bernier - I'm on the verge of saying that we should just ride Reimer until Bernier gets his knee problem squared out, because he's not a mobile goaltender right now. Played well to close the game down, but mobility and his game down low is a big issue.
Gardiner - Read the situation perfectly and created the goal that won the game, but that was in a series of good shifts in a game that was otherwise mostly bad ones. I defend him a lot, and I still get annoyed at people who are blind to the results he's brought previously, but so far this season he's not skating as well, he's not tilting the ice and he looks bad defensively. We need him to be better.
Rielly - Had a much better third period than the first two, but he was shaky tonight and had a few too many mistakes. I have a sneaky feeling that he's on the way up though, getting his confidence up and starting to get creative again.
Carrick - The fourth line was bad the whole night, didn't get anything done. Carrick was the best among them, but did nothing while on the ice to earn more ice time.

Awful
Robidas - I was cautiously optimistic after that pre-season game, thinking he looked like the Robidas from before all the injuries. Right now he looks slow, weak on his skates and constantly getting into trouble that he can't really handle. We need to take it slower with him as things are now, bench him or play him few minutes until he can get his game back.
Leivo - I was excited to see Josh in his first game of the season, but he did really not have a good game. It seemed every puck touch turned into something bad for him tonight.
Frattin - I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but Frattin has just been awful constantly this year. I'll say it again, I think he's a broken player who should be benched in favor of... hell, I'd even take Orr before him.

Bernier was great in net... I think you just love rimes tbh.

Rielly was also much better than your rank.

the oldddd fan point of view.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Phaneuf:

Weber:

Are you saying we got a 12m D for 7m if so that's pretty great we should trade him for 2 1sts and a solo player.

Tyler Biggs*

Great to have Komarov back.

Watching Komarov's glee after scoring reminded me of Mike Foligno (minus the jump of course). Should see more of that since every point from here on in represents a new high mark. Way to go Leo!

TheThrill81*

Did he forgot to mention the mins? I mean come on Weber has average of 27:21 mins of ice time and Phaneuf 23:13 mins. So every night he plays over 4 mins compared to Dion and also is better in +/-.

Phaneuf also has 31 PIM compared to Weber's 12, which decreases Phaneuf's TOI/G. He's also gets paired up with Franson, which is a handicap in itself.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Phaneuf also has 31 PIM compared to Weber's 12, which decreases Phaneuf's TOI/G. He's also gets paired up with Franson, which is a handicap in itself.

Actually for Franson I think he's been much better than the last years Franson (so far).
In the game against the Avs, Franson saved a goal behind Bernier and played pretty well.
He's still to high in the lineup but overall better than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille