Post-Game Talk: What An Intense Finish! Leafs Win 5-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nice win no complaints with the way they played with energy tonight. A game of mistake's and we made one less ha.woohoo!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What does this even mean? Leafs made it that far because of goaltending.

We didn't get good goaltending from Reimer down the stretch last year! :shakehead

Someone quoted Watters, saying that we may have made the playoffs last year if we would have had Komorov. So, my comment was in response to this comment! ;)

Would Komorov been able to counteract the bad goaltending? :dunno:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I liked how Holland played tonight. Maybe trial him with Kessel and have Komarov as the third linemate. Likewise Panic should be be kept in a top six role seeing that he's been playing pretty well.

There's a couple of thoughts there.

1. You see what you have with him and force him into something he might not be ready for.

2. Moving him up would force Kadri into a 3rd line checking role that Holland currently holds.

I think if you leave Holland there for a while longer, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Komarov was fantastic. Best player on the ice. Kadri, Holland, Rielly and the top line all played very good as well. Gardiners play was the usual bad, but bailed himself out with a great play to set up Komarov.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
guys if the players from the bottom lines score it shouldn't mean we immediately move em up to the top 6. The whole point is to give us scoring depth.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd bump Rielly, Bernier, and Holland each up one tier.

Rielly had a pretty good game in mmy opinion. A few shaky moments, but was great on the breakout and seems like he took the statement that he needs to move more to heart.

Holland was good on the PK, had a great move to score, and good on the forecheck tonight. A game he needs to build on IMO.

Bernier wasn't like typical Bernier in net (a lot of battling), but he made a number of great saves and was at least average tonight... Defense left him out to dry a few times and there was no really weak goal.

I'm always trying to balance what I see. Rielly did had great breakouts and moved the puck well tonight, started to be more creative compared to previously, but he was also fairly weak in the defensive zone. I might be a bit harsh though.

Yeah Bernier did make a bunch of great stops, but on a night where he lets in four and seems to have trouble moving well I hesitate to call him average.

About Holland.. well I've seen a lot of people praise him, I mostly saw Komarov on that line. I might be a bit out to lunch on that one.

Phaneuf and Kadri good? Bernier bad? What game were you watching?

Plenty of people have praised Kadri. He played well both ways, was great on faceoffs (something people love to hold against him) and I think he picked up 2 assists so I'm fine with that.

I know people love to rag on Phaneuf but I think he was just fine tonight. Overly passive at some points, but mostly stable.

And I guess I am watching the game where Bernier let in four goals and had mobility issues.

I liked how Holland played tonight. Maybe trial him with Kessel and have Komarov as the third linemate. Likewise Panic should be be kept in a top six role seeing that he's been playing pretty well.

I might be a bit harsh on Holland. I'd rather see him build on the chance he's gotten now than move him around too much though.

Happy Birthday, Nithoniniel!

Thank you, Daisy! Now excuse me while I go search for gray hairs.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Granted Bernier got hung out to dry on a couple goals but he didn't look very good (or very much like himself) in net tonight. He used to be so much more quiet with his movement but tonight he was really chasing the puck around the crease and it definitely showed on the 4th goal. I assume Reimer gets the start tomorrow so we'll see what he makes of it. He's usually a Sens killer so hopes are high.

Didn't think Phaneuf was as bad as posters here were making it out to be, although that was by no means a strong game for him. There was one sequence near the end of the 2nd where he probably should have scored but then was completely out of position after joining the rush. That kinda play is so risky and didn't really make sense at that point in the game. Thankfully Nash threw the puck away on the Rangers' 4 on 2 that resulted.

Glad Komarov finally potted a goal, he had a great game.

Bozak couldn't handle the puck tonight to save his life, there were a couple nice passes on rushes made to him that bounced off his stick.

Kessel was buzzing again and is obviously in the middle of one of his hot streaks. We better pot some points now because it's probably going to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Glad they picked up the win, it wasn't the prettiest game by times, but it was certainly entertaining.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Waters mentioned that on the radio not to long ago.

He was saying that he talked to scouts throughout the league and some suggested they try him out there.

Carlyle said during his pre-game presser that you start to realize what a player is after the 300 game mark.

90% of NHL careers dont even go past the 300 game mark. I'd love to try a brent burns scenario with Gardiner, that would be beyond amazing.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
There's a couple of thoughts there.

1. You see what you have with him and force him into something he might not be ready for.

2. Moving him up would force Kadri into a 3rd line checking role that Holland currently holds.

I think if you leave Holland there for a while longer, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
I am not sure if Kadri and Kessel will be sticking, though. Instead, it is Kessel going off the defensively porous line with Bozak.

Komarov - Holland - Kessel

Panik - Kadri - Clarkson

JVR - Bozak - Santa

You can number the lines whatever you wish. All three of the lines will be playing significant minutes and relied upon offensively. Now, however, you at least have a defensively steady forward per line.

Added Later:

Ideally, I'd rather have JVR up with Kadri and have either Clarkson/ Panic on the other side. Give Nazem two big, skilled, wingers and he'll look even more deadlier.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Plenty of people have praised Kadri. He played well both ways, was great on faceoffs (something people love to hold against him) and I think he picked up 2 assists so I'm fine with that.

I know people love to rag on Phaneuf but I think he was just fine tonight. Overly passive at some points, but mostly stable.

And I guess I am watching the game where Bernier let in four goals and had mobility issues.

I'm a bit pissy after the game. Seems like nothing will change when we keep sneaking out wins like this. Overall we look bad defensively IMO and we're lucky we have skill.

I thought Kadri was average-bad. He gets stripped of the puck quite a bit, and hasn't been finishing hits like he used to. He did have one nice one tonight but overall he just seems like a selfish player.

As for Bernier, we always seem to use the goalie as a scapegoat. He made some excellent saves and was making plenty of saves look easy tonight. How can you really blame him on the goals, maybe could have had the fivehole but I certainly can't say he was bad tonight.

As for Phaneuf, we must just disagree. He looks so slow and unagile. He got beat plenty. He looks awkward alot of the time and out of place.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm a bit pissy after the game. Seems like nothing will change when we keep sneaking out wins like this. Overall we look bad defensively IMO and we're lucky we have skill.

I thought Kadri was average-bad. He gets stripped of the puck quite a bit, and hasn't been finishing hits like he used to. He did have one nice one tonight but overall he just seems like a selfish player.

As for Bernier, we always seem to use the goalie as a scapegoat. He made some excellent saves and was making plenty of saves look easy tonight. How can you really blame him on the goals, maybe could have had the fivehole but I certainly can't say he was bad tonight.

As for Phaneuf, we must just disagree. He looks so slow and unagile. He got beat plenty. He looks awkward alot of the time and out of place.
I always remembered the Leafs blaming their defenceman rather than goalies. In fact, for so many to suggest that Bernier's play today was solid exemplifies that further. Anyhow, he was not playing as calm as normally does and was behind the concessions.

Phaneuf, as Oates, stated was actually playing quite well. He covered Nash's line quite effectively. Interestingly, Franson played a positive role as well and may give us a rather dominant top pairing. Our mid and bottom pairings are still lagging, but I think Gardiner's play will start improving. I also feel that Rielly and Robidas need to step up their play as well.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Holland apparently tweeted something along the lines.. "earlier in the year we'd fold but tonight we just knew we could fight back and come out on top" (im paraphrasing). according to Andy Mac on TSN 1050.

mikebel111*

Since you are pretty much only player saying Kadri was average oe bad, safe to assume he had a great game today. Lol selfish

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The Leafs deserved the win tonight. Bernier's performance and a couple of defensive gaffes made the game closer than it should have been.

Bernier has yet to play a complete game so far this season in my opinion.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
The Leafs deserved the win tonight. Bernier's performance and a couple of defensive gaffes made the game closer than it should have been.

Bernier has yet to play a complete game so far this season in my opinion.

Detroit, Columbus, Islanders. There I named a few.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Got the two points. May not have been the easiest win, but they at least got there. Just need to take some positives from it and carry forward.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Detroit, Columbus, Islanders. There I named a few.

Compared to last season, he has yet to play at the level he is capable of for 60 minutes this season. I don't think it's because he has regressed, I think it's because his nagging knee injury may be worse than he is letting on. He hasn't looked comfortable in goal, even in the games he's won.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Anyone else thinks if Rielly and Gardiner get benched, so should Franson?

He looks lazy out there at times. Sure, he gets points, but half the time, he also gives the puck away. It's so frustrating with him sometimes when he just gets lazy.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
OccasionalNauticalDwarfmongoose.gif

This is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad