What’s up with Calgary?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Like I said, the flames are the most mediocre team in the nhl and will continue to be so for the next decade unless they rebuild the rebuild. Their pieces right now are NOT good enough.

Reactions: Devonator

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
One other thing I've noticed, and I may be wrong, but they seem to give up goals in bunches.

Score one goal, you know another on is coming. Back to the mentally weak issue.

I think it was the Vegas game that started the downward spiral.

Were up by two with what, less than a minute to go in the third, ended up losing the game.

I said it then and I'll say it now, that game was the end of the Flames season.

Crazy part was they were in a playoff spot competing with Vegas for the division.

NOTE: I think it was Vegas, I'm sure it was Vegas. It was Vegas, right?!?!?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Craig Button had a good take on them, on That's Hockey. Basically they have some good pieces, but far too many holes to be a good team.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Mediocre coaching staff
Powder puff defense with great offensive skill, it's just that whole defense thing that gives them trouble
Lack of scoring depth
Can't win at home, see reason #1

Reactions: Devonator

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Can a Flames fan explain to me what is so bad about your coach? I honestly have not watched the Flames at all this year?

I think the two biggest problems, and they are related, is his player usage and stubbornness.

He loves Brouwer and overplays him 5 on 5, on the PP and on the PK. Brouwer is not that talented to begin with but is having an especially awful year this year but still he is consistently given big minutes in key spots despite repeatedly showing he is terrible. He makes this worse on the PK by insisting on playing Stajan as well, often with Brouwer which is a nightmare pair on the PK.

He loves pairing the 4th line, with the 3rd pairing which almost always leads to us being hemmed in our own zone and scoring chances against.

He kept the PP which was losing us games together for way too long and it was a PP that made no sense to begin with based on the players they had.

He has refused to split up the 3M line when they haven't been nearly as effective as they were last year and it is clear we need Tkachuk to be used in a more offensive role to get us some secondary scoring. Instead he is bogged down by the defensive zone starts and match-ups that Frolik and Backlund take.

He kept Hamonic and Brodie paired together for so long without even trying something different that it cost us games early on. Some may argue that they are playing well now so maybe keeping them together led to that but I don't think so as it appears Brodie just stopped being an idiot more than they developed a ton of chemistry. They are playing well together now mainly because they are both good players.

There are some other things that I can't totally blame him for since I am not in the room but the team has repeatedly come out flat and been down early due to "not being ready" (a comment Flames fans have heard from him way too often) and the team seems to collapse at the slightest hint of adversity. I can't say it is all on him but those are two issues it seems like good coaches would be able to address and fix.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
One other thing I've noticed, and I may be wrong, but they seem to give up goals in bunches.

Score one goal, you know another on is coming. Back to the mentally weak issue.

I think it was the Vegas game that started the downward spiral.

Were up by two with what, less than a minute to go in the third, ended up losing the game.

I said it then and I'll say it now, that game was the end of the Flames season.

Crazy part was they were in a playoff spot competing with Vegas for the division.

NOTE: I think it was Vegas, I'm sure it was Vegas. It was Vegas, right?!?!?

Yes it was Vegas

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
On paper, they have a pretty good roster, not a great one. They’ve got several guys who are in the very good to elite tiers but not a ton of depth behind them. They have the look of a team that could range from 3rd or so in the pacific to several points out of a wildcard spot depending on whether or not they’re hot at the moment. Right now, not hot.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I don't think Tavares is/was available although for the crazy overpay of Monahan and Hamilton perhaps he would have been, but I was more pointing out that the poster said "No one's trading a 1c though" and then followed that by saying how we should trade for a 1c.

Their overrated so badly and have been for a few years.

The solution is to get a legit 1c and bump Monahan too "elite 2c" position.
No one's trading a 1c though, so their stuck in a rut.

I'll echo an above poster though.
Trade Monahan + Hamilton + prospect for the best 1c that's offered, and run with the new 1c and Backlund

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Their coach is a coward. Too afraid to make the necessary lineup changes and instead defaults to incrementalism favoring garbage vets to good young players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Sam Bennett hurts this team so much. If this kid could play like he was expected to, you would have a different outlook.

You have a solid top 5 forwards, scoring shouldn't be the issue with those 2 lines...but Bennett just kills me as he is just so mediocre to look at for such a highly regarded prospect/player.

That whole 2014 draft is pretty meh, so looks like you got unlucky with having a top 5 pick there.

I think the Flames are still in a good position. The team is young enough overall, a few vets to release or move and you guys are right back in the thick of things again.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the division is not was easy as it looks, sure sure, pick on Vancouver and Arizon all you want, but it's really not an division. Some good teams there when they are trying.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We are a bubble team lost our starting goaltender for a month, we lack top 6 forward depth and now have one of the few we have out with a possible concussion. It's really not hard to understand for anyone with a brain what's up with Calgary.

Reactions: Flamesss and zeke

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think Sam Bennett hurts this team so much. If this kid could play like he was expected to, you would have a different outlook.

You have a solid top 5 forwards, scoring shouldn't be the issue with those 2 lines...but Bennett just kills me as he is just so mediocre to look at for such a highly regarded prospect/player.

That whole 2014 draft is pretty meh, so looks like you got unlucky with having a top 5 pick there.

I think the Flames are still in a good position. The team is young enough overall, a few vets to release or move and you guys are right back in the thick of things again.

Yes, I have a hard time trying to fathom what is happening to that guy. He's a detriment to the team and should be traded. Perhaps, Vancouver might take him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, I have a hard time trying to fathom what is happening to that guy. He's a detriment to the team and should be traded. Perhaps, Vancouver might take him.
detriment to the team? this has to be one of the most moronic things you've said

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
Bubble teams with holes usually need luck to make it into the playoffs. They had terrible luck this year. It almost seems unnecessarily cruel that they finally solve their goaltending issues and Smith gets injured at a critical time. I agree with the Flames fans that are hoping for blowout losses if it means moving on from Gulutzan at this point.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We are a bubble team lost our starting goaltender for a month, we lack top 6 forward depth and now have one of the few we have out with a possible concussion. It's really not hard to understand for anyone with a brain what's up with Calgary.
They're healthy now and are choking at the most important time of the year. Each gamesis like a microcosm of Calgary's season. One little adversity and they fall apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad