What’s up with Calgary?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
They had a real hot stretch where they were unbeaten for 10+ games, but it seems like since their bye/All Star break they have been alternating wins and losses.

What happened to the team that at one point was within a few points of Vegas in their division?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They had a real hot stretch where they were unbeaten for 10+ games, but it seems like since their bye/All Star break they have been alternating wins and losses.

What happened to the team that at one point was within a few points of Vegas in their division?

No one thing in particular. 3v3 went cold, then power play went cold, then defensive play had some lapses, the goaltending went cold. I think the biggest issue for the season as a whole is that Jagr and Versteeg were never healthy (even when in the lineup) leaving a big hole at 3RW that the coach tried to plug with Hathaway, who is not a top 9 NHL forward and makes the Zach Hymans look like Evgeni Malkins. Because of this, the line that probably could have carried our secondary scoring never had the consistency they needed.

Now if I were GM I would also trade Monahan+Hamilton for the best U25 RHS #1C I can get in return, but that's not vital.

I think they are a good team that maybe needed a year with some injuries to get prospects like Kylington or Mangiapane into the lineup to jumpstart the team and never got it. Too healthy.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I
Smith went down at a bad time and they seem to completely cave when momentum swings against them. They are far from a good hockey club right now.
idk their team isn't exactly bad .they have no top forward talent other than johnny but they are only really weak on rw . And have no goalies when Smith is out.

Lw depth is great. Center is fine. Defense is great . Rw is awful .

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's just the usual thing around the NHL.

They don't have the pieces to overcome the fact they don't have a franchise center.

Franchise centers hide a lot of holes, without one you better hope you're really good in every other area, and the Flames aren't.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Imagine needing a top9/line F so bad and acquiring Chris Stewart instead of topping the package SJS got for E.Kane

Piss off Treliving

We have Gaudreau and Tkachuk on LW already and none of those 3 have shown a lot to indicate they would be a good fit to move to the right side.

We don't have a first or second this year so topping the Sharks offer means wasting more assets to maybe make the play-offs. Kane is a pile of garbage on and off the ice and would make the Flames worse not better.

Not getting Kane was the best move Treliving could have made at the deadline.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Their overrated so badly and have been for a few years.

The solution is to get a legit 1c and bump Monahan too "elite 2c" position.
No one's trading a 1c though, so their stuck in a rut.

I'll echo an above poster though.
Trade Monahan + Hamilton + prospect for the best 1c that's offered, and run with the new 1c and Backlund

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
-Coaching. It's bad.
-Lack of depth scoring
-Smith injury/lack of goaltending at HOME.

Their Corsi, high danger chances for and all that are some of the tops of the league. PDO and SH% is down. Are they unlucky? It's like the opposite of the 2014-15 season.

-They need to revamp the bottom 6
-Add another top 6 GOAL SCORER
-Fire the coaching staff, and get a proven, winning head coach.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Imagine needing a top9/line F so bad and acquiring Chris Stewart instead of topping the package SJS got for E.Kane

Piss off Treliving

Pre-deadline i heard some Flames fans saying E. Kane would be a terrible fit in Calgary. Idk maybe Treliving figured as much?

Kane reads HFBoards and scores 4 goals against them rofl.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
They just aren't a deep enough team. I also feel that their D group is very overrated. Stuck in the middle of the league. And like others mentioned not having a pick I the first two rounds is really going to hurt this summer.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The Flames are an interesting team, not bad but not quite good enough. It will be interesting to see what they do this summer, they need a bit more scoring but their D let them down too. It's not in Burke's dna to surrender, so what do they do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad