What’s up with Calgary?

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
We are a bubble team lost our starting goaltender for a month, we lack top 6 forward depth and now have one of the few we have out with a possible concussion. It's really not hard to understand for anyone with a brain what's up with Calgary.

Well then is there "anyone with a brain" in Flames management?

A "bubble team" that "lacks top 6 forward depth" shouldn't be trading an unprotected first... right?

(not to mention all those other picks given up)

BTW that 35-year-old "starting goaltender" usually misses stretches like that to injury

... also he has reverted to his usual less-than-stellar form over his last 10-11 games.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well then is there "anyone with a brain" in Flames management?

A "bubble team" that "lacks top 6 forward depth" shouldn't be trading an unprotected first... right?

(not to mention all those other picks given up)

BTW that 35-year-old "starting goaltender" usually misses stretches like that to injury

... also he has reverted to his usual less-than-stellar form over his last 10-11 games.

That's why I said in the last offseason that this team shouldn't get the 35-year-old goaltender. There were younger goaltenders available.

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
Could be the fact our coaching staff puts Brouwer and Stajan on with three minutes left, down by one, and an empty net??? Good call coach!!! To be honest I think GG is setting Brouwer up for failure, he's a third-fourth line grinder being asked to play on our #1 PP some nights. Epic fail!

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
the division is not was easy as it looks, sure sure, pick on Vancouver and Arizon all you want, but it's really not an division. Some good teams there when they are trying.

Please make an argument for any other division to be worse?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Could be the fact our coaching staff puts Brouwer and Stajan on with three minutes left, down by one, and an empty net??? Good call coach!!! To be honest I think GG is setting Brouwer up for failure, he's a third-fourth line grinder being asked to play on our #1 PP some nights. Epic fail!

He's a waste of money. I wouldn't even have him on my team.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
the division is not was easy as it looks, sure sure, pick on Vancouver and Arizon all you want, but it's really not an division. Some good teams there when they are trying.
Move them to the Central and they would've been out in February.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Special teams sucks. Goalie got hurt. Bye week at the worst time (this is a lame excuse admittedly). Goalie came back and has played terribly. Backups lost their charm. Coach lost the room. Players lost the ability to care. And here we are.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This us what "all in" looks like in Calgary.
I can't see how they improve any in the off season to predict playoffs next year

Reactions: A91

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This us what "all in" looks like in Calgary.
I can't see how they improve any in the off season to predict playoffs next year
going 'all in' to go from mediocre to great rarely works. The next one who could potentially miss the playoffs is Dallas, but even if they made it, they didn't make all those huge additions to be a wild card team

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Not a good look for them if they miss the playoffs with no 1st or 2nd round picks this draft.
If your team goes from pretty good to horrible without your goalie, than it’s not a well built team. Especially with a goalie like Smith who is 35.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
going 'all in' to go from mediocre to great rarely works. The next one who could potentially miss the playoffs is Dallas, but even if they made it, they didn't make all those huge additions to be a wild card team
Well Dallas had Benn, who’s window is closing.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So even with Smith playing 52 games with a .917 Sv%
So even with Gaudreau having a career high in points with 82
So even with Monahan being a 30 - 30 player
So even with Tkachuk having a nice 2nd NHL season with a better PPG then his rookie season
So even with Hamilton having a single season high in goals and currently tied for 2nd most points in a season
So even with Backlund being a solid 2nd line center
So even with Ferland having a career season in goals,assists and points
So even with Giordano still producing well
So even with Brodie still producing well
So even with acquiring Hamonic
So even with all that they couldn't make the playoffs :popcorn:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Wait until Seguin has another underwhelming playoffs too. One and done

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So even with Tkachuk having a nice 2nd NHL season with a better PPG then his rookie season
So even with Hamilton having a single season high in goals and currently tied for 2nd most points in a season
Giordano is a Norris leading candidate according to hfboards

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It's the leadership. Cryin Johnny can't lead.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They're healthy now and are choking at the most important time of the year. Each gamesis like a microcosm of Calgary's season. One little adversity and they fall apart.
They're healthy now? Really? Please continue to show your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
-3 tonight. he can do a lot offensively at times, but he can be pretty disappointing in big games. tonight was one of them
It's cute when folks stat watch. He was disappointing because he was on the ice for 2 EN goals? Give me a f***ing break.

Last edited by a moderator:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
They are an above average team who haven't gotten the breaks this year. I'd avoid any rash moves if I were Treliving, but they definitely need to find a way to get at least couple additional top 9 forwards as well as a capable back-up (relying on a 35yo goalie without one seems ill-advised in hindsight).

What makes a year like this tough, though -- aside from obviously the disappointing season in of itself -- is that now Gio is going to be a year older, Smith is going to be a year older. I know Calgary's got some decent goalie and defense prospects in their system but those are two major pieces on the downside of their careers and there are never any guarantees with prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad