What’s up with Calgary?

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
They're just not a good team. They don't have that many good players.

Mediocre/average at best.

* Insert just as generic reply* Come on man, at least try a little. They Have Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Giordano and Hamilton who are all very good players. The issue was their depth scoring, 2nd pair and PP.

Their overrated so badly and have been for a few years.

The solution is to get a legit 1c and bump Monahan too "elite 2c" position.
No one's trading a 1c though, so their stuck in a rut.

I'll echo an above poster though.
Trade Monahan + Hamilton + prospect for the best 1c that's offered, and run with the new 1c and Backlund

You really believe Sean Monahan is a #2 C? No really? The same Monahan who is on pace for 71 points and who already has 30 goals? Who is 32nd in total points (17th among C's) and 14th in goals (8th among C's)? Please explain to me how he is not at the very least an average #1 C in the league.

Your proposal is horrendous btw. If you had actually watched the flames this year you would know that the C position is absolutely not the issue.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Op was about the flames dropping in the standings wasn't that around when he got injured
Yeah, man. Sorry I'm just a frustrated Flames fan. It's been an awful time. Hockey's my favorite sport and my favorite team has let me down. Don't mind me, I've just got little faith with this team. Need a miracle, but we keep shooting ourself in the foot. Team plays with very little confidence or heart. One misstep and everyone just crumbles.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Their overrated so badly and have been for a few years.

The solution is to get a legit 1c and bump Monahan too "elite 2c" position.
No one's trading a 1c though, so their stuck in a rut.

I'll echo an above poster though.
Trade Monahan + Hamilton + prospect for the best 1c that's offered, and run with the new 1c and Backlund

So 1C aren't available but we way overpay to get the 1C that nobody is trading?

Also who overrated them?

Almost predictions pre-season had then as a WC/bubble team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The 2nd goal wasn't even soft. Very few goalies stop a 5 hole deflection from a superstar like Kane. The 1st one was awful. The 3rd was certainly bad but it was also a Laine level snipe and every goalie in the league is prone to giving up a few of those.

At that point your elite defense just totally let your fans down.

Superstar????

LOL

Maybe he should try and get 60 points in a season first.

Unless you are talking about him being a superstar when it comes to sexually assaulting women because he is great at that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah, man. Sorry I'm just a frustrated Flames fan. It's been an awful time. Hockey's my favorite sport and my favorite team has let me down. Don't mind me, I've just got little faith with this team. Need a miracle, but we keep shooting ourself in the foot. Team plays with very little confidence or heart. One misstep and everyone just crumbles.
I'm an oilers fan . Being let down is pretty much a yearly thing for me

Reactions: Boomstick

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So 1C aren't available but we way overpay to get the 1C that nobody is trading?

Also who overrated them?

Almost predictions pre-season had then as a WC/bubble team.
Flames could probably get a 1c if they wanted to trade dmen / lw it's not like they don't have pieces they could move

Should probably just get a rw tho

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
* Insert just as generic reply* Come on man, at least try a little. They Have Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Giordano and Hamilton who are all very good players. The issue was their depth scoring, 2nd pair and PP.
You're agreeing with me.

The point is the team as a whole is average. Every year the Flames and their fans think they're better than they are, but really they're just icing a mediocre roster. Nothing really surprising about how they preformed this season.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Can a Flames fan explain to me what is so bad about your coach? I honestly have not watched the Flames at all this year?

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
RW depth is a definite issue. I would have used one or two of the picks that that were lost in the Hamonic trade to try for someone like David Perron.

Other than that, mental toughness and engagement need to be better. We need to have more than a quarter of the roster at one time, take better quality shots, and learn not to fold as soon as the other team scores. Personally, I think that means bringing in a new coach this off-season.

The General

Mar 11, 2018
I've said this a few times, but the most glaring hole on the Flames roster looks to me like #7. Brodie's totally unpredictable, and I would imagine very hard to play on the blueline with - he's never where Hamonic expects him to be, and it puts too much weight on Hamonic defensively. His offensive game has been good, but I don't think it offsets how terrible he is in his own zone.

I think Tkachuk deserves a letter on his jersey next season. He's been the heart-and-soul guy on this team for his entire career. I think he'd be a better fit on the first line with Monahan and Gaudreau than Ferland has been, and I think Ferland would look better on the second line with Backlund and Frolik.

I think Stajan has looked fantastic this season, Hamilton and Giordano have been the strongest defensive pair on the team - both look like elite NHL defenseman.

But the thing that bugs me the most is just how predictable this team is. Every night it's the same lineup doing the same thing, no adjustments barring injury. If it's just a mashup of the same thing all the time, you get the same results, but worse as the season drags on as teams learn your tendencies.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Can a Flames fan explain to me what is so bad about your coach? I honestly have not watched the Flames at all this year?
Long story short, after his time in Vancouver, rather than learn much from Torts or Sullivan, he's like Willie D-lite

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The Flames always seem to be better on paper than they perform. I’m not sure if it’s the coaching, the leadership and mentality of that team or what it is but it’s the same story.

Last year, I didn’t think they were good enough to make playoffs but two hot streaks literally propelled them into playoffs. I know going on that streak is impressive but they were consistently bad (at the start of the year mainly) to average other than that 6 or 7 game win streak and that 10ish game win streak leading up to playoffs last season.

This year, I don’t think they have been that bad, better than last season and goaltending plays a big part in that imo but they’ve been pretty meh again. They had that one really good win streak again that seems to be giving them life.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
they apparently had 4 top pairing D-men, so they need about 2 more.

But seriously, its culture. Ask any UofC student who goes out a lot :laugh:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
They are the most mentally fragile team I can think of.

No lead is safe with these guys.

Who here has a warm and fuzzy feeling with them up 3-1 going into the third?

They used to me money after leading going into the third......now it seems like an auto loss.

Not sure what it is, sure they need more help on the right wing. But with the defense they have in place they should have the horses to play a shut down game in the third when leading.

I'll be a complete hypocrite and claim it's the coaching that is killing the Flames this year. I get on a soap box and proclaim the Oilers are bad not because of coaching but due to personnel. So it sounds a bit disingenuous saying that's the Flames issues.

But unlike the Oilers, the Flames just snuck in the playoffs last year, just like they would have to do this year, which there is no way in hell they will.

I do believe a change needs to be made. I'm not sure the cure is Coach Q either. He's not great with young talent, he's more of a veteran player guy. I'd take Tort's or Sutter if they were willing to come. These guys need accountability, something that GG seems to only be able to do when he's pushed to the limit. I think the Flames need to be strongly "encouraged" on a daily basis. They just seem to be a lazy team. Something I never thought would happen.

Yes, I know both those guys have a limited shelf life.....but so does this current inception of the Flames.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
It really sucks for Calgary and Flames fans. This team should have been better.
But it will really be fun for me to wear my Jets sweaters to work in downtown Calgary on game days in the playoffs...

Reactions: Flair Hay

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It really sucks for Calgary and Flames fans. This team should have been better.
But it will really be fun for me to wear my Jets sweaters to work in downtown Calgary on game days in the playoffs...

Meh, I'd be perfectly okay with that, probably the only Canadian team that I wouldn't mind see going all the way. Of course I do have a huge soft spot for Buff.

Hell, I'd even buy you a drink!

Prior to this year I would have lumped Toronto into that group, but their fans have developed a terminal case of Oileritis.

At least Oiler fans waited until they had success in the playoffs before spouting off about assured greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad